50th project PLEASE Richard Carpenter!

Sue

Just on the off chance that Richard or one of his family, reads the forum occasionally. I wondered if we could try asking him for the songs we would love to be on RPO album number 2(perhaps wishful thinking but what the heck)!!

I would love to hear

NOW
Those Good Old Dreams
YOU
Only Yesterday

Amoungst others of course but I think these songs would sound fantastic!

I'm so intrigued as to what will be released for the 50th. It appears that this RPO album wasn't released to celebrate the 50th because it wasn't advertised like that and in the recent interviews Richard keeps refering to the 50th "next year".

I'm sure (and hope!) He'll release something. When he wrote to me in Sep 2016 he put "p.s. there are currently no plans for the 50th, although I am certain that there will be in the next couple of years.

Reactions: Sue
I`d like to see more DVD or bluray stuff come out, I think there`s only so much of the same music you can keep releasing, unless they did more R.P.O stuff.
Blu-rays would be difficult for the TV specials and other music videos, like “Calling Occupants” are from composite video tape (which was in use in the 70’s), so 480i DVD would be the best option.

Of course anything shot on film, like “Ticket To Ride” could be rescanned for 1080p or 4K Blu-Ray.

I was thinking about this yesterday, after playing the video below, wondering what some of the carpenters tracks, where just Karen sings, might sound like if another artist was to sing along with her on the track, perhaps even from her solo album. I`m not sure if there`s a specific name for it, but this is what I`m talking about, when Katie Melua did it with an Eva Cassidy track, just an idea and something different :)

I was thinking about this yesterday, after playing the video below, wondering what some of the carpenters tracks, where just Karen sings, might sound like if another artist was to sing along with her on the track, perhaps even from her solo album.

Nice idea.Barry Manilow tried it I think for his duets cd.He was only offered Karens released solo tracks according to legend and found nothing suitable for a duet. He did end up doing duets with the late greats John Denver and also Mama Cass amongst others though.Barry seemed so sad he couldn't do a Karen vocal duet in an interview once.
I would like Karens demos as a record day vinyl release and also her solo album on vinyl.Also a 12" of My body keeps...
how about the Quincy Jones mix of Karens album?
As to Carpenters, the full tracks of Thank you for the music(would have been an obvious RPO track surely.Benny and Bjorn didn't do the full orchestra unless you count the ABBA live in Japan version).
Lastly the full version of The moon is a harsh mistress..oh and any funny studio chatter that exists on tapes.I don't mind lyric sheets being turned or air conditioning units(not that I heard them).
Something with unseen photos that stand outs on a shelf also and a full book..recording sessions sheets.my list is endless...:)

how about the Quincy Jones mix of Karens album?

I’ve always wanted to hear those mixes and find out just what was done to the tracks and by whom? Did Quincy have a hand in the remixing or was he there just to persuade the A&M team that it was worth releasing?

I’ve always thought Quincy’s involvement was a very telling sign that the album as a whole was indeed worthy of release. He would not have put his weight behind anything that he felt was second rate.

I'm so intrigued as to what will be released for the 50th. It appears that this RPO album wasn't released to celebrate the 50th because it wasn't advertised like that and in the recent interviews Richard keeps refering to the 50th "next year".

I'm sure (and hope!) He'll release something. When he wrote to me in Sep 2016 he put "p.s. there are currently no plans for the 50th, although I am certain that there will be in the next couple of years.
There is only one Carpenters 50th Anniversary.....2019......in the next couple of years is just too vague.

I’ve always wanted to hear those mixes and find out just what was done to the tracks and by whom? Did Quincy have a hand in the remixing or was he there just to persuade the A&M team that it was worth releasing?

I’ve always thought Quincy’s involvement was a very telling sign that the album as a whole was indeed worthy of release. He would not have put his weight behind anything that he felt was second rate.

Are there for sure alternate mixes from Karen's solo album that had Quincy Jones' involvement?

Are there for sure alternate mixes from Karen's solo album that had Quincy Jones' involvement?
I thought I remembered reading that Quincy Jones had offered to remix Karen's album, in an effort to save it, but that A&M turned him down. That's just my vague recollection, and of course is nowhere remotely near firsthand information.

I LOVE what we have already. However, as I mentioned in another thread, here are my humble ideas for inclusion in an RPO Volume II:
  • Those Good Old Dreams (already produced)
  • Solitaire
  • Only Yesterday
  • There's a Kind of Hush
  • All You Get From Love Is a Love Song
And others as follows:
  • I Won't Last a Day Without You
  • You
  • Two Sides
  • You're the One
  • I Can Dream Can't I
Another thought just occurred to me: Perhaps Richard could even retool the often underappreciated "It's Going to Take Some Time" to give it new life...

A guy can dream, can't he?

Last edited:

I thought I remembered reading that Quincy Jones had offered to remix Karen's album, in an effort to save it, but that A&M turned him down. That's just my vague recollection, and of course is nowhere remotely near firsthand information.

I don't have the Coleman book to hand but I'm sure there was a second playback for A&M with Quincy Jones present, and I'm sure it involved him hyping the album up in its altered/remixed state in an effort to get the label to approve its release. This is why I asked the question whether he had been involved in remixing the tracks or just in trying to sell the revised album to the label.

Someone should remix the entire solo album and rerelease it. I thought Richard did a great job on the few tracks he remixed for "Lovelines" and "From The Top."

I'm listening to the solo album right now. I love it, with headphones you can really hear all the overdubbed vocals she recorded. She really put a lot of effort into it.

I have so many wishes for the solo album, many impossible without a time machine, but I'd love to hear the remixed/alternative version, have all the unreleased songs as bonus tracks and get a vinyl release.

Someone should remix the entire solo album and rerelease it. I thought Richard did a great job on the few tracks he remixed for "Lovelines" and "From The Top."

It was a complete bomb because it wasn't really promoted. Really, how could you? The artist had died 13 years prior to its release. We were fortunate to get it at all and I doubt Universal will spend any more money on it. Further, the other tunes have been leaked. That's even more reason to not bother with it if you're Universal/Richard.

Ed

That's even more reason to not bother with it if you're Universal/Richard.

Moreover virtually none of the unreleased solo tracks do anything to further Karen’s reputation or legacy. Most of them are in too high a key...and then some. They’re outtakes for a reason.

It was a complete bomb because it wasn't really promoted. Really, how could you? The artist had died 13 years prior to its release. We were fortunate to get it at all and I doubt Universal will spend any more money on it. Further, the other tunes have been leaked. That's even more reason to not bother with it if you're Universal/Richard.

Ed
Actually I found out that the solo album had been released because of Jeopardy! where on one 1997 episode they had a clue about Karen Carpenter and played My Body Keeps Changing My Mind as part of the clue.

Just on the off chance that Richard or one of his family, reads the forum occasionally. I wondered if we could try asking him for the songs we would love to be on RPO album number 2(perhaps wishful thinking but what the heck)!!

I would love to hear

NOW
Those Good Old Dreams
YOU
Only Yesterday

Amoungst others of course but I think these songs would sound fantastic!

Songs for royal philarmonic volume 2: only yesterday
Sing
Wont last a day without you
Solitaire
Now
Someday
Eve
A song for you
Love me for what i am
Caught between goodbye and i love you
Youre the one
Look to your dreams
One more time
You
Tryin to get the feeling again
Cant smile without you or breaking up is hard to do or beechwood. With new upbeat arrangements

Ed

I don't quite get your response. A better remixed version of the album would be welcomed by lots of fans, if not you. This is the kind of specialty release one sees on the twice yearly Record Store Day events.

Back
Top Bottom