60 years of Billboard Hot 100

Simon KC1950

The Billboard Hot 100 singles chart is celebrating it's 60th birthday.

As part of the celebration it has compiled a list of the Top 100 artists that have had the most success.

The Carpenters are at #36.

What an achievement, considering Karen was only around for less than 14 years, the duo had:

-27 songs chart
-No. 1's: 3
-Top 3's: 10
-Top 10's: 12
-Top 20's: 17
-Top 40's: 20

You can see the article and full list here:
The Hot 100's Top Artists of All Time

Here's the full list, for those who are interested and/or when that link expires. There is a paragraph at the end which tells how they came up with the rankings.

1. The Beatles

2. Madonna

3. Elton John

4. Elvis Presley

5. Mariah Carey

6. Stevie Wonder

7. Janet Jackson

8. Michael Jackson

9. Whitney Houston

10. Rihanna

11. The Rolling Stones

12. Paul McCartney

13. Bee Gees

14. Usher

15. Chicago

16. The Supremes

17. Prince

18. Daryl Hall & John Oates

19. Rod Stewart

20. Olivia Newton-John

21. Drake

22. Aretha Franklin

23. Marvin Gaye

24. Taylor Swift

25. Katy Perry

26. Phil Collins

27. Billy Joel

28. Diana Ross

29. The Four Seasons

30. The Temptations

31. Donna Summer

32. The Beach Boys

33. Lionel Richie

34. Bruno Mars

35. Neil Diamond

36. Carpenters

37. Maroon 5

38. Boyz II Men

39. The Jacksons

40. Connie Francis

41. Beyoncé

42. Brenda Lee

43. Kenny Rogers

44. Barbra Streisand

45. Bryan Adams

46. Cher

47. George Michael

48. The Black Eyed Peas

49. P!nk

50. Bobby Vinton

51. John Mellencamp

52. Three Dog Night

53. Huey Lewis & The News

54. Gloria Estefan

55. Bon Jovi

56. Chubby Checker

57. Ray Charles

58. Foreigner

59. Chris Brown

60. Kool & The Gang

61. Gladys Knight & The Pips

62. Ricky Nelson

63. Duran Duran

64. Justin Timberlake

65. Commodores

66. Eagles

67. Lady Gaga

68. TLC

69. Paul Anka

70. Barry Manilow

71. Dionne Warwick

72. Heart

73. Nelly

74. The Everly Brothers

75. Bobby Darin

76. R. Kelly

77. James Brown

78. Paula Abdul

79. Eminem

80. Alicia Keys

81. Kelly Clarkson

82. Linda Ronstadt

83. Richard Marx

84. Starship

85. Destiny's Child

86. Kanye West

87. Céline Dion

88. Jay-Z

89. The Miracles

90. Bob Seger

91. Fleetwood Mac

92. Neil Sedaka

93. Justin Bieber

94. Bruce Springsteen

95. The Pointer Sisters

96. John Denver

97. Four Tops

98. Tony Orlando & Dawn

99. 50 Cent

100. The 5th Dimension

Methodology: The Greatest of All-Time 60th Anniversary Billboard Hot 100 Songs and Artists rankings are based on weekly performance on the Hot 100 (from its inception on Aug. 4, 1958, through July 21, 2018). Songs are ranked based on an inverse point system, with weeks at No. 1 earning the greatest value and weeks at lower spots earning the least. Due to changes in chart methodology over the years, eras are weighted differently to account for chart turnover rates during various periods. Artists are ranked based on a formula blending performance, as outlined above, of all of their Hot 100 chart entries.

The number 2 duo of all time behind Hall & Oates with The Everly Brothers coming in at a distant third. Very impressive to be ranked ahead of some music legends like Barbra Streisand, Cher, Bon Jovi, Eagles, Lady Gaga, Barry Manilow, Dionne Warwick, Celine Dion, Fleetwood Mac, Bruce Springsteen and John Denver! Neil Sedaka, who Richard fired during their summer tour in 1975 is ranked at #92.

If Billboard released an All Time list of the Adult Contemporary Charts the Carpenters would easily be in the top 10, especially with 15 #1 hits to their credit which I think still places them only behind Elton John.

seems crazy they would `only` be number 36, given I read once that they out-sold the Beatles AND Elvis combined during the seventies.
Tell you what though, there are some big names on that list they are above, so just shows how well they did really, in such a short space of time.

seems crazy they would `only` be number 36, given I read once that they out-sold the Beatles AND Elvis combined during the seventies.

True, but remember that this is based on chart entries and peak positions (with higher charting songs receiving more "points"). It's all about the numbers.

The Beatles had 20 #1 singles and 71 charting singles on the Hot 100. Elvis ranks lower even though he had more charted hits (108), the Beatles had more #1s thereby amassing way more points in the ranking. (Only 7 of Elvis' 18 total #1s were on the Hot 100. The other 11 pre-dated that chart.) Also, both acts were popular at a time when records labels would release as many as 6 or 7 singles a year from their top artists, many of which for these acts in particular, were double sided hits (which count as two separate sets of points in the equation). By the time Carpenters hit the scene, the norm was 3 to 4 singles a year.

A huge benefit to the Carpenters' ranking on this chart is that they had so many songs that peaked at #1 (3), #2 (5) and #3 (2) for multiple weeks which gave them a ton of points. Compare them to someone like Dionne Warwick (35 places lower them them) who had more than twice the number of charting hits (56) but only 5 Top 5s (two of which were shared with other artists).

Considering that many of the artists both above and below them on the list had chart careers spanning 25 or 30+ years, coming in at #36 from a career of 12 or 13 years is an absolutely incredible achievement. At the end of the day, to be considered one of the top 40 (or even top 100) most successful recording artists of all time out of the 1000s who have had hits over the years, is amazing no matter where they fall on the list.

At the end of the day, to be considered one of the top 40 (or even top 100) most successful recording artists of all time out of the 1000s who have had hits over the years, is amazing no matter where they fall on the list.

that was exactly my thoughts after I posted, when I started thinking about it. when you consider some of the names on that list, below #36, I think it`s staggering what they`ve accomplished, it really is and in such a short period of time as well, compared to a lot on that list!

So how many of the Top 100 artists have you seen in concert? I have seen a lot of acts (at least one Top 40 hit) live over the years, but was surprised that my count of the Top 100 only came to 15.

Elton John, Chicago, Daryl Hall & John Oates, Billy Joel, Beach Boys, Carpenters, Kenny Rogers, Cher, John Mellencamp, Three Dog Night, Bon Jovi, Commodores, Barry Manilow, Heart, and Starship. The Spinners must have just missed the list!

Four Tops, Temptations, Olivia Newton John, Carpenters, Kenny Rogers, Linda Ronstadt.

I've seen: Elton John (4x), Chicago, Prince, Hall & Oates, Phil Collins, Neil Diamond (2x), Cher, Foreigner, Heart (2x), and Fleetwood Mac (3x).

There are a lot of others I would have liked to see, but they never came close enough to where I live.

^ You missed John Denver and the Beach Boys at the Metra in Billings, you could have added a couple of more to your list :)

I’ve seen four from that list: Bee Gees at Wembley Stadium, Barry Manilow at Newcastle Arena, Celine Dion at Caesar’s Palace in Las Vegas and Neil Sedaka at Newcastle City Hall.

Celine’s show was hands down the best night of my life. Mesmerising from start to finish and the venue is spectacular. And I was seven rows from the front :)

I've seen seven from that list, with one asterisk.

Paul McCartney
Chicago
Neil Diamond (2X)
Carpenters (4X)
Barry Manilow (2X)
The Everly Brothers
and the asterisk goes to The 5th Dimension. (Actually we only saw McCoo and Davis in concert.)

Quite a surprise that Simon & Garfunkel are not on that list. We saw them too.

I would have traded most of mine to see the Bee Gees and Paul McCartney. Have always loved The 5th Dimension and consider Marilyn McCoo as one of the finest female singers of the 70's. ELO and America should have cracked the Top 100 in my opinion.

Okay, I'll play along... :)

After seeing the "asterisk" belonging to @Harry, I have a few of my own (including the same one Harry detailed)...

Elton John (3 times solo)
Hall & Oates
Olivia Newton-John
Billy Joel (with Elton)
Donna Summer
Jacksons
Barry Manilow (3 times)
Celine Dion

---
And now for the asterisks:
*Richard Carpenter (@ EPCOT), though not Carpenters
**Stevie Nicks, though not Fleetwood Mac
***Marilyn McCoo & Billy Davis Jr. (@ EPCOT), though not 5th Dimension

You missed John Denver and the Beach Boys at the Metra in Billings, you could have added a couple of more to your list
I was staunchly "anti-country" when John Denver was in Billings so I wouldn't have wanted to see him, although my attitude has changed on that; and I wouldn't have wanted to see the Beach Boys then or now. Just not a fan of their music at all.

I think I've been to about 250 or so concerts all together but living here in the "sticks" a lot of the biggest acts never get to this part of the world. Most of the biggest A&M acts have never been here -- I think the biggest A&M'er to play this part of the world in their heyday was Styx, I've seen them twice. But -- Carpenters, Sergio Mendes, Cat Stevens, Supertramp, Janet Jackson, Peter Frampton, the Police, etc... none of them were here when they were "hot." Herb Alpert & the Tijuana Brass were here once, but I was too young to go see 'em!

Three of my "seen" list above were in other states - in fact just this summer we drove 500 miles each way to Denver area to see Jim Gaffigan. If you're a music fan in this area, you have to be ready to travel if you want to see your favorites. The farthest I ever went to see a concert was to Los Angeles -- Phil Collins.

Impressed with your concert tally Mike, thought I was quite seasoned with around 60! We were fortunate in this corner of the country when it came to concerts. Portland opened it's new 9,000 seat arena in 1977 with an appearance by ZZ Top and for the next two decades most acts either started or ended their tours here. Some groups used Portland as a rehearsal venue before heading off to the rest of the US like Garth Brooks who "tuned up" for 5 consecutive sold out nights. Sadly, Elvis was scheduled to perform at the Civic Center the day after he died and many here have still held on to their never used tickets 40 years later.

The concert bubble burst for Maine when a new 12,000 seat arena was completed in Manchester, NH which started the decline in bigger artists coming here. The Carpenters actually appeared in Portland in 1973 at the historic Exposition Building to a sold out crowd of 3500. This was 4 years prior to the opening of the new arena which they never had the opportunity to perform due to Richard pulling the touring plug in 1978. Missed the Portland show at the Expo because I was still in high school and living in North Carolina where my father (Marine Corps) was stationed. However, did get the chance to see the Carpenters in 1976 in Chicago when I was serving in the Navy, George Gobel was the opening act.

I've also seen Led Zeppelin, Queen, Genesis, Frampton, Sting, Crystal Gayle (as opening act for Kenny Rogers). Didn't care for Zeppelin or Genesis live but absolutely loved the others. Couldn't afford McCartney.

^ Speaking of Led Zeppelin and Queen, two legendary acts that take a back seat to no one. I would also include Pink Floyd, Metallica and possibly KISS as artists that were not listed in the Top 100 due to limited success/effort in the Billboard Top 100 genre. Their stature was based on massive album sales, concert attendance and FM radio play during their prime and they at least "appeared" to care less about the latest single and it's position on the charts. I'm sure I missed a few other artists (Deep Purple) that fall into this category.

As the conversation here seems to be turning to concert quality, including some artists who didn't make this Top 100 list, the best concert I have ever attended was performed by Rush! I didn't know much of their catalog, at the time, perhaps only "Tom Sawyer." In 2013, I went with friends who were big fans. Not only did Rush treat their fans to a lengthy (~3 hours) performance, the accompanying videos were intoxicating and energetic. I was incredibly impressed by the expert musicianship of the 3 main performers. How did they have the stamina!? The drummer, in particular, who was surrounded 360 degrees by drums, was virtually incomparable...

You have to realize that I'm not a huge hard-rock fan. Sure, I have a long list of singers I prefer and musical artists with whom I've had a decades-long allegiance --- Carpenters anyone? But I became a huge Rush fan during and after this dynamite performance.

Knew I missed a few and Rush falls into that grouping. Neal Peart is an amazing percussionist and is well known for his over the top drum kit that must be a logistic challenge for his drum techs on tour!

Knew I missed a few and Rush falls into that grouping. Neal Peart is an amazing percussionist and is well known for his over the top drum kit that must be a logistic challenge for his drum techs on tour!
One drum tech: Lorne Wheaton. That drum kit is as much his baby as it is Neil's. Rush is one of my faves as well. I love great musicianship, and that is something Rush has in common with Carpenters. Totally different styles but the same commitment to quality.

^ Speaking of Led Zeppelin and Queen, two legendary acts that take a back seat to no one. I would also include Pink Floyd, Metallica and possibly KISS as artists that were not listed in the Top 100 due to limited success/effort in the Billboard Top 100 genre. Their stature was based on massive album sales, concert attendance and FM radio play during their prime and they at least "appeared" to care less about the latest single and it's position on the charts. I'm sure I missed a few other artists (Deep Purple) that fall into this category.

Jimmy Buffet also comes to mind in this category.

Back
Top Bottom