A Banda...

Status
Not open for further replies.

JOv2

This piece, by Chico Buarque, became a point of recent fascination once I heard the lyrics...

Like most folks, for many years the TjB swing-march version was the only one known. About three years ago, I picked up Astrud Gilberto / Beach Samba ['67]. Unlike Herb, her rendition is more of a novelty -- and the lyrics were equally novel mentioning parades during Mardi Gras and July 4th, etc. I really hadn't given it a second thought as this version was of little appeal. Last summer I acquired Quarteto Em Cy [self-titled '66] with A Banda added as a bouns -- oops, bonus track. Similar to AG's version it was novel in structure -- but it dawned up me: why would Brazilians sing about American holidays and such? I looked up AG's version and noticed an "Anglo" (am I allowed to write that?) name along side Buarque's -- whereas on Quarteto Em Cy's version, Chico was the sole writer. Apparently, "Robert Russell" wrote a new set of lyrics (perhaps Creed Taylor believed the original was not appealing enough for US audiences).

Last week I picked up Nara Leao / Manha De Liberdade ['66] -- which states "incluindo A BANDA" on the front cover. Her version features a more toned-down parade feel relative to the previous three. One thing notable was the length of her version -- suggesting lyrical content was significantly longer.

Doing a search I found a YouTuber who recorded an English version. From his phrasing he's very much indebted to Jobim, Lobo, Nascimento and other Brazilian greats.

I hope you enjoy this version, the lyrics of which are quite touching and melancholy -- exhibiting the beauty of the power of music in a way I've yet to hear from any US songwriter; and, yes, it IS very different from Astrud's release.

(All that's left now is to find a direct translation.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y85wtPC7_1M

Before I ever heard the TJB version of this song, I was already familiar with it because I heard it done by Guy Lombardo. Yes, THAT Guy Lombardo. My grandpa was a big GL fan and he had several of his albums and a few tapes. I don't remember the title of the GL album that contained "A Banda" but I remember liking the song a lot, even then.

Well, y'all should go back to the original hit Brasilian version by Quarteto em Cy. It's fantastic. Available on many CDs, including the original Elenco release of the QEC LP as well as many comps.

While we're on the subject, does anybody remember a cover version of RISE that featured a chorus doing the melody in a la-la-la-la-la style? It was almost a march, with a whistle in the background. The whole thing had a going-off-to-war feel, like "viva la revolucion"...I only heard it a few times, and cn't remember just who was responsible for the arrangement or the recording. It was an interesting and listenable take, a lot different than Herb's.

Dan

Mike said:
Before I ever heard the TJB version of this song, I was already familiar with it because I heard it done by Guy Lombardo. Yes, THAT Guy Lombardo.

WOW, Mike! Do you have this version -- or any info on it? Would totally wanna check it out!

No, and I wish I did. It was on an 8-track tape as I remember. I would play that tape just to hear that song. I check iTunes now and then to see if it pops up, but no luck yet. And it doesn't appear to be available on CD either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom