A 'Carpenters' Influence

Another Son

I don't remember seeing a thread about this on the forum, so decided to start one.

There must be many sounds out there on other people's recordings that suggest an influence of Karen and Richard.

I was recently listening to a feel-good album that I used to listen a lot when young and it struck me that the background harmonies are very Carpenteresque. Listen to the harmonies in the background vocals in the chorus of this song, 'Glide With Me'.

A section of this song that is even more Carpenteresque than the background vocals on the chorus is the section after the rapper says, "When you're down and out and feeling upset, pop this CDB track in your tape deck" and the group sings, "Oooh, to the other side, you and I, let's fly". That section sounds very 'Somebody's Been Lying' K&R.

The group is CDB, by the way, a group that most overseas probably haven't heard of.

What are some tracks that you know of where you suspect there is a strong Carpenters influence?

Oh, if you can't access the link below, just search Glide with Me CDB, (the song, not the album), on Youtube.

I don't remember seeing a thread about this on the forum, so decided to start one.

There must be many sounds out there on other people's recordings that suggest an influence of Karen and Richard.

I was recently listening to a feel-good album that I used to listen a lot when young and it struck me that the background harmonies are very Carpenteresque. Listen to the harmonies in the background vocals in the chorus of this song, 'Glide With Me'.

A section of this song that is even more Carpenteresque than the background vocals on the chorus is the section after the rapper says, "When you're down and out and feeling upset, pop this CDB track in your tape deck" and the group sings, "Oooh, to the other side, you and I, let's fly". That section sounds very 'Somebody's Been Lying' K&R.

The group is CDB, by the way, a group that most overseas probably haven't heard of.

What are some tracks that you know of where you suspect there is a strong Carpenters influence?

Oh, if you can't access the link below, just search Glide with Me CDB, (the song, not the album), on Youtube.

What a terrific song!

I remember them doing "After the Love is Gone" with Tommy Emmanuel. That song is incredibly over-covered but that's one of the few good ones.

Ed

Ah, so CDB WERE known outside Australia. I thought they were local only.

I only heard their cover thanks to file sharing ages ago. I liked it and sought it out afterwards. It wasn't on the radio or anything in the U.S. so they never got attention here. Solid track tho.

Ed

Back
Top Bottom