A friendly rant :) Re: Merry Christmas Darling*

Proudofyou

You guys I can't. I just can not listen to the remake of "Merry Christmas, Darling" without some kind of sigh, and mild snarky remark to those who will listen. It came on the radio today while I was shopping. I cringed and said to the salesperson, "Why in the world would they play anything other than the original?!? And why do basically the same arrangement?" He laughed and agreed. (I'm not sure if Richard worked on that remake). Bah Humbug. With all the world's problems this is what I was focused on today. lolol. Best regards to all this season. :)

The salesperson has nothing to do with the choice of music. The salesperson laughed and agreed with you because "the customer is always right."

You guys I can't. I just can not listen to the remake of "Merry Christmas, Darling" without some kind of sigh, and mild snarky remark to those who will listen. It came on the radio today while I was shopping. I cringed and said to the salesperson, "Why in the world would they play anything other than the original?!? And why do basically the same arrangement?" He laughed and agreed. (I'm not sure if Richard worked on that remake). Bah Humbug. With all the world's problems this is what I was focused on today. lolol. Best regards to all this season. :)
Funny you mention it, I heard a remake in a grocery store today and right away I had to Shazam it! It was Christina Perri and her arrangement was pretty much a clone of Richard's. Definitely not the original and I too wondered how many others were familiar with it.

There would be A LOT of great music (including some terrific Carpenters songs) that wouldn't exist today if everyone insisted on only ever hearing "the original."

Before the 1950s, virtually nobody wrote their own songs. There were songwriters, and there were artists.

Back
Top Bottom