"A Kind of Hush" Remaster...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris May

Resident ‘Carpenterologist’
Staff member
This past week we finished mastering an album that I produced for a band called 'jonas day', and as we worked through some of the frequent mastering issues that come up, it got me pondering the occasional threads that pop up here regarding the "Hush" album.

I think this has been the most talked about album (second in line to "Passage") regarding the mastering. Personally, I don't think it has as much to do with the mastering as everyone thinks it does. In my opinion, the album was mixed with a lot of 'mids' and bottom, but not a whole lot up top. On a side note, you can also hear quite a bit of editing throughout the album, making this release my least favorite with regards to production, etc. On the other hand, the production is great (if that makes any sense) with regards to arrangements, backing vocals, etc. All in all, the frequency equalization has always driven me nuts with both "Hush" AND "Passage". Don't think there is too much that can be done additionally in a mastering session to fix this, as good as digital remastering is. Mastering can clean up a mix, sometimes significantly, but not always as any mastering engineer will tell you that you shouldn't rely on him (or her) to "fix" a bad mix. You mix it the way you prefer, THEN master for balance, compression, etc. If the album turns out better than expected (which often times may be the case with a good mastering engineer), then it's considered to be gravy!

Oh, and by the way, if you want to check out an awesome up and coming band, (if it's ok with Harry), go to www.jonasday.com.

-Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom