A KIND OF HUSH

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rick

Since the album "A Kind Of Hush" was somewhat trashed in the topic "Most Underrated album/single", I thought we should now share our views on what we like about the album.

The first song from this album that really made me perk up and listen was "Boat To Sail". The song was so different from other Carpenters tracks and I really enjoyed the vibe sounds included. The song is really well arranged and I also liked the "DeShannon is back" ending.

I have more to say- but I'm on my way to work so I will have to continue this.

AKOH Album is a strange set to review as this contains some absolute favourites and two tracks that are poor by Carpenters standards up to 1976.

Richard has stated that this album lacks focus , the sound is too soft and the songs a mixed selection , Richard refers in the Coleman bio that Herb Alpert was not over impressed by the overall selection, but given Carpenters importance to A&M, Release went ahead June 1976 :confused:

My Favourites :

I Need To Be In Love -top Carpenters Single and stunning song /vocal.

One More Time -great song and production.

Boat To Sail -great harmonies, interesting song.

I Have You -a favourite Carpenter / Bettis song

You -great vocals and production

A Kind Of Hush -good cover , unusual with double tracking of Karen's
vocals -which Richard today finds unappealing :o

Can't Smile Without You - less bombastic than Manilow's Hit version ,
this could have been a single and Top 20 Hit

OK Song :

Sandy -this is an odd original song , great vocals, but almost too
sweet. Depends on mood at time .....

Disappointing Songs :

Breaking Up Is Hard To Do -strange production , almost a throwaway
version . What happened to the Classic Ballad-
Jazz-Blues version required ?

Goofus -Good vocals , production , a Karen favourite standard ....but
dreadful twee lyrics , repetitive sound,, unbelievable that this was selected as a Single :sad:

AKOH is a good Album , verging on the great in terms of vocals , original songs , arrangements , but overall there is a lack of inspiration , tiredness and softness that pervades this release.

AKOH was a Worldwide smash in sales again , but under performed in USA -#33 Billboard was too low .Understand Album charted in Top 20 with Record World which is a fairer reflection.

With hindsight , other later released tracks would have been great inclusions....but that is just hindsight...... :o

Peter

A KIND OF HUSH doesn't have the same polish as say HORIZON, Yet, there are a few standout numbers. GOOFUS has some great overdubbing in it and to me it makes it fun to listen to and try to aurally differentiate the vocal acrobatics. I believe that BOAT TO SAIL held more success potential than say I NEED TO BE IN LOVE. INTBIL utilizes the choral backup vocals and I like my Karen "full strength". The more K the merrier and the addition of these choral groups in this and succeeding albums somehow diminishes the CARPENTERS 'sound' and lends itself more to an elevator speaker. YOU would probably been more commercially successful than A KIND OF HUSH. The inner sleeve pic of K&R reveals a very drawn and fatigued looking Karen signaling the onset of her dreaded illness. For this reason the album leaves me with a burdened sense of melancholia...much like the VOICE OF THE HEART experience. So, "good album"? Yes!!! It provides a pleasurable listen and will always have a welcome place in my CARPENTERS collection...right between HORIZON & PASSAGE where it BELONGS.

Jeff

A Kind of Hush is not trash, it is just bland. It does have a few good songs, after all, Karen was singing them. But, it did not represent the time, nor did it represent musical growth, it was just a collection of "hush" songs. Some of the songs have their worth, but the album did nothing to accellerate their career, just focused them as the critics choice for what is "out".

That year was a success in tour, but only because of past hits, and fans were hungry for them since the year before concerts were cancelled. Plus, this was the time their international success grew.

All I can say is that god for Passage. However, the damage was done. But my case to others is that Passage showcased the Carpenters as good musicians.

Craig

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom