🥂 50th A&M 50th Anniversary 3-CD Set

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not setting any expectations, but I really hope for the disc art they replicate the original label art. I think it would be cool for disc one to be the classic 60s ochre label, disc two the silvery 70s/80s-era label and disc three either the 80s red & black single label or the black 90's label.

If the Japanese can do it, why not?
Labels3.jpg

Harry

That's awesome, Harry! Thanks for posting that. That's exactly what I was picturing! Correct fonts and everything. I just love details like that.

My copy arrived from Amazon an hour ago. I'm listening in the car.

Brickwalled TJB. Not a good way to start a set. Mastered by Mark Omann at Universal Mastering-West. The name fits: oh man, are these loud.

More impressions later. Right now I'm up to the We Five track, and it's rechanneled. Geez.

Today is release day for the A&M 50 collection. Mine arrived in today's mail - here are some pictures:

Unfortunately, our idea of label styles didn't make it. The discs are plain-looking with a sort-of attempt at "ochre"
DSC05328.JPG

The package is a quad-fold cardboard package. Each disc has its own cardboard pocket. This is the front cover:
DSC05329.JPG

The rear cover with track list:
DSC05330.JPG

When you fold it open once, you get the picture and the liner notes:
DSC05331.JPG

The second unfolding yields four panels. The first is the thank yous and credits, the second is the pocket and tracklist for Disc 1:
DSC05332.JPG

(continued in next post)

And finally, Discs Two and Three in their pockets with track lists.
DSC05333.JPG

"Rise" is the shortened single edition, as is "Skokiaan". Carpenters "Close To You" is the single-length 1991 remix.

I'm puzzled with the title for Rita Coolidge's song. It's listed here as "(Your Love KEEPS Lifting Me) Higher And Higher" but my copy of SP 4616 ANYTIME ANYWHERE lists it as "(Your Love HAS Lifted Me) Higher And Higher".

Harry

Nice graphics, and they included "Bridges" and "Black Pearl". Way better than what I thought UMG was capable of at this late date.

Sadly though, Groovin' Garrett is right, it's brickwalled and loud.

Harry

I'm puzzled with the title for Rita Coolidge's song. It's listed here as "(Your Love KEEPS Lifting Me) Higher And Higher" but my copy of SP 4616 ANYTIME ANYWHERE lists it as "(Your Love HAS Lifted Me) Higher And Higher".

Harry

"...Keeps Lifting..." was the title of the original version of the song by Jackie Wilson. The numerous cover versions over the years have fluctuated between "...Keeps Lifting..." and "...Has Lifted..." depending on the artist. Rita's version was most definitely titled with "...Has Lifted..." so Harry is absolutely correct. It was just sloppy work on behalf of whoever wrote the copy for the packaging. Kind of like the credit for Herb ALBERT on the Janet Jackson compilation a from a few years ago.

Thanks for posting the pictures Harry. Yes, the label art is pretty bland. And the different color capitals "A" and "M" in the individual disc titles is kind of forced and cheesy.

The liner notes look pretty sparce and disappointing. I was hoping for at least a booklet with some sort of history of the label, maybe some statistics (how many #1s, Top 10s, Grammys, gold/platinum, etc.) and some memorabilia/cover/record photos. It would also have been nice to reference the original LPs that the tracks were from and the various chart positions they reached. I thought that stuff was pretty standard on a compilation like this. Especially one that is supposed to celebrate the history and achievements of its subject.

Still looking forward to adding the handful of tracks I don't have to my collection, but not as excited about the release now as when it was first announced.

Oh, and please excuse my ignorance, but what does "brickwalled" mean?

Oh, and please excuse my ignorance, but what does "brickwalled" mean?

When you look at a sound wave it used to be what we called "peaks and valleys" - where there were loud passages (peaks) and soft passages (valleys) in a song. The way CDs are compressed today the sound wave looks like a solid brick wall - no fluctuation in sound. I just received mine but haven't played it yet, but it looks like the sound is crap.

Capt. Bacardi

My copy arrived from Amazon an hour ago. I'm listening in the car.

Brickwalled TJB. Not a good way to start a set. Mastered by Mark Omann at Universal Mastering-West. The name fits: oh man, are these loud.

Well, that ruins a perfectly good set. :mad:

More impressions later. Right now I'm up to the We Five track, and it's rechanneled. Geez.

Rechanneled? I have an LP of this and I swore it's in regular stereo. Ouch.

Rechanneled? I have an LP of this and I swore it's in regular stereo. Ouch.

Unfortunately no, it's never been in true stereo. The original LP was rechanneled, as are reissues. I know my pink label Memories 45 is rechanneled. You'd think someone along the way would have pulled out the mono master. I think the only way to get the true mono mix is LP-111 and the single, #770.

When you look at a sound wave it used to be what we called "peaks and valleys" - where there were loud passages (peaks) and soft passages (valleys) in a song. The way CDs are compressed today the sound wave looks like a solid brick wall - no fluctuation in sound. I just received mine but haven't played it yet, but it looks like the sound is crap.

:agree: There are no dynamics to the music--it is pretty much has the life sucked out of it. No loud, no soft, no variation in volume: it is all pretty much made loud.

Here's a comparison, using the Sound Forge editor. This is the Van Halen track "Ain't Talkin 'Bout Love" from their first album, taken from the DCC gold audiophile CD:

A lot of Van Halen's earlier music had some dynamics to it, as you can see. The midsection is stripped down and quieter, and you can see just after the middle where Alex hits the drums and cymbals on the 1 and 2 beat just after the quiet section.

And here is "She's The Woman" from their 2012 release A Different Kind of Truth:

The latter is a shame since there are some decent tracks on the album, yet the sound is fatiguing to listen to. It feels like all this music is being shoved at you all at once. I can only make it through a few tracks without having to shut it off for awhile.

The A&M set likely is not quite that bad, but nonetheless, any type of "brickwall" limiting will pretty much smash the sound into a mess.

Unfortunately no, it's never been in true stereo. The original LP was rechanneled, as are reissues. I know my pink label Memories 45 is rechanneled. You'd think someone along the way would have pulled out the mono master. I think the only way to get the true mono mix is LP-111 and the single, #770.

Shows you how closely I listened to the album. :laugh:

It's mono on the A&M Forget Me Nots 2-LP set as well. I'm playing that now to give my ears a break after that brickwalled mess :D

Good deal! Casa Rudy is spinning vinyl. Yes, that is "Faeries Wear Boots" you heard five minutes ago. :laugh: (And so did the neighbors. :shh: )

"You Were On My Mind" was in stone mono on the Collectors Choice CD. I've never heard a stereo version.

I listened to "Mas Que Nada" on a trip out in the car and it sounded more like an AM radio it was so compressed.

Harry

That is just terrible... :shake: I looked for the cut in my collection but did not find it--I thought I may have an earlier release of that track which isn't slammed like that.

Here's the same track, from a 1998 various artists compilation:

The same song. It has a little bit of clipping here and there, but it is not brickwalled.

Know what the real irony of this whole set is? For a record company that owned its own highly regarded studios, and one that launched the mastering career of Bernie Grundman (who is still active) and prided itself on good sound quality, this horrible sounding set goes totally against that.

Shameful. Just shameful.

I'm of mixed feelings here. We started the year doing our own little celebration of A&M's 50th, never expecting Universal to do anything. Then we got word of the Japanese reissues and this set and things were actually looking up. Now we get the set and it's a lot worse in sound quality, and a little underwhelming in the packaging department, than any of us expected. So I look on it as a nice gesture - but that's about it.

It could have been SO much better.

Harry

"You Were On My Mind" was in stone mono on the Collectors Choice CD. I've never heard a stereo version.

Ah yes, I forgot about that CCM CD. I was going through a Kingston Trio/Frank Werber buying phase at CCM when I bought that. Thank you for the reminder!

Here's another waveform of "Love Will Keep Us Together", this from an old 1991 comp on Priority Records 70's GREATEST ROCK HITS:LoveWillWaveformPriorityComp.jpg

That one looks just a little more smashed than the version I found. Mine is from some 1998 compilation called Chicken Soup For The Soul -- Love and Inspiration. It sounds pretty good.

I swore I had the Greatest Hits album on CD, but if I do it's probably stored away somewhere. I do have the LP. Pretty sure I bought it when Peaches closed up in our area.

Here's the same track, from a 1998 various artists compilation:

The same song. Brickwallled Captain and Tennille. I've seen it all.

Between the poor sound quality, lack of notes/photos, and Walmart bargain bin packaging, I think A&M's legacy deserved a bit better. The gesture was nice, but it's a let-down nonetheless.

MCA/Universal/UMG/whatever never seems to miss out on an anniversary opportunity on that other label they bought out...

It could have been SO much better.

That statement sums it up in a nutshell. On paper this looks like a really good compilation. There are tunes here that I normally wouldn't have bought but I was glad to see them on this comp.

Then, I listened to it....

I mean, really, does a dictionary define "mastering" as "make it loud, make it really, really loud"? I keep imagining a mastering engineer just saying "well, I got this here compressor, so I may as well use it". :bitchslap: I just don't get it. It bores my ears.

Looks like my vinyl collection isn't going anywhere anytime soon.....

Capt. Bacardi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom