A&M 791- Toni Basil- Breakaway/I'm 28

I only see photos of white label promos of this 1966 A&M single. Was this single ever released in stock versions? Given the relative rarity (what few copes I see out there, each well over $1500), why is this so rare? I didn't find anything about it here with the search function. Thanks!

Chronologically (using the 791 catalog number), this single would have been just before the Tijuana Brass' "What Now My Love"/"Spanish Flea".

According to the pictures, the matrix number of "I'm 28" (1176) would indicate that it was the designated "A" side. "Breakaway" was (1177).

I've only ever heard "of" the record, never seen one, or heard it.

Thanks, Harry. I have managed to find "Breakaway" on a Goldmine Soul Supply Cd and "I'm 28" on a Graham Gouldman compilation. Produced by Ed Cobb, and arranged by Lincoln Mayorga, I became curious to hear it (both sides are on YouTube), and Breakaway could be played comfortably in the middle of a Motown set, holding it's own.
I imagine part of the interest is that Breakaway was also the soundtrack to a 1966 Bruce Conner short film that has cult status among film directors of a certain age. The style of this film impacted several film scenes from Easy Rider (which Basil was also in) to cult favorite Vanilla Sky in the 80's.

Back
Top Bottom