A&M Acts' Songs that SHOULD'VE or COULD'VE been Hits...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Bill

Gentlemanly Curmudgeon
Staff member
Sort of a follow up to Chatsworth Steve Gross's "Signature Song" thread...

In this list we are asking for personal favorite tunes here; the only requirement is that it be a song that you think would've or should've been a hit, had it only been released as a single A-side (forgotten B-sides can be nominated) or received radio airplay...

And instead of limiting to one song per act, I would limit this one to one song per album... The tough ones would be artists like Phil Ochs where the catchiest, most commercially viable tune did get singles releases to no avail ("Cross My Heart", "Miranda" and "(Outside a) Small Circle Of Friends")... And Lani Hall comes to mind here as well. :sad:

I'll start with just a few off the top of my head...

Herb Alpert & the TJB "Treasure of San Miguel" (from Sounds Like) This one has always just been screaming to be used in one of my student films. It was a B-side to "Miss Frenchy Brown" (IIRC). Being a Roger Nichols tune one has to wonder if this has lyrics...

(Mr Bill has generously opted to not nominate another fave, "The Sea Is My Soil," to allow Montana Mike to sing its praises here later). No need to thank me, Mike! :wink: Have at it!

Baja Marimba Band "Big Red" (from Those Were The Days) Though TV viewers throught out southern California heard this song many times as the them to "The Ben Hunter Show" on KTTV Channel 11 and it was the B-side to a single relase of "Peru '68" I'm mystified this drummer Frank Devito penned tune did not get treated as the A-side. One of the most fun, catchy and easily hummable BMB numbers! And is that an ocarina instead of a flute that Bernie Fleischer is playing?

Payola$ "Some Old Song" (from No Stranger to Danger) Why A&M opted to make a single and push the songs that sequentially appear before and after this catchy riff-laden rock anthem has always been a mystery to me. Comes complete with R&R groupie phone call at the bridge ("Hello, is Johnny there?"). If this were a single or had airplay Payola$ would be a household name band today!

Suburban Lawns "Mom & Dad & God" (from Suburban Lawns (I.R.S.)) While I.R.S. is likely not to blame for this marketing error -- the single that was released came not from I.R.S. but on the Lawns' own Suburban Industrial Records -- choosing to put the quirky "Janitor" b/w the lethargic "Protection" out as a single was no way to get airplay. Even though there was a cult video made for "Janitor" having the song on an indy label maede it a tougher sell than if it were actually on I.R.S. (The Go-Go's were just beginning their meteoric 8-month crawl as I.R.S.'s first charting, first gold and first platinum artist to climb to the top of the charts as the Lawns debuted). "Mom & Dad & God" (or even "Flying Saucer Safari") would've been commercially more viable and could've easily landed the Lawns in the same pop niche as Devo, Gary Numan or the Flying Lizards...

--Mr Bill
certain I will think of more later

I wish Herb Alpert & Tjb's "My Heart Belongs To Daddy" (on the Music Box Sampler) could have been a hit or put on a '45'; it has a great melody and Herb's improvasitional hallmark on a Cole Porter song, he made a trademark.

Dave

...will probably think of more later, besides all the "Signature Songs" are used up...

Mr Bill said:
Herb Alpert & the TJB "Treasure of San Miguel" (from Sounds Like) This one has always just been screaming to be used in one of my student films. It was a B-side to "Miss Frenchy Brown" (IIRC). Being a Roger Nichols tune one has to wonder if this has lyrics...
"Treasure" was actually the flip of two different numbers: "Monday, Monday" (#1028) and "Zazueira" (#1043). And "Miss Frenchy Brown" -- that was the flip of "A Banda" (#870).

Speaking of "Zazueira" . . . that song in and of itself is another shoulda-been in this context. . . .

"Zazueira" hit number #78 on the Billboard singles chart, and was five weeks on the chart. Certainly not huge, but it DID chart.

I'll nominate Carpenters' "Let Me Be The One". Coming in the middle of a prolific period for them, it never got a shot at being a single, but I think it could've been huge.

For Lani, I'd go with "Adios Tristeza" from her first Latin album LANI. It's a great song, and performed well, but I'm sure our mono-lingual society wouldn't have bought it. Too bad.

An obscure missed opportunity: Veronique's "Just Another Dream" from her Richard Carpenter-produced album. With the right push, this one had 'hit' written all over it.

Harry
...who'll probably think of more later, online...

For HERB ALPERT, I think "Slick" should have been a hit. To me, it appeared to be the A-side of a single release but "Cabaret" got more airplay (not that it, too, didn't deserve hit status). Another song that should have been much bigger but got overshadowed by it's B-side is "3rd Man Theme" but I wouldn't have wanted it to be a bigger hit at the expense of "Taste of Honey". Until I read this post, I don't think I knew that "Monday Monday" was a single! So "Monday", "This Guy's", "Slick"/"Cabaret" and "Ob-La-Di" were all released as singles? They really milked that album for all it was worth, didn't they?
I think "Love Potion #9" was worthy of hit single status too.
A song by CAPTAIN & TENNILLE that I thought should have been a single is "Mind Your Love" from the "Song Of Joy" album.
And I was always disappointed that SUPERTRAMP was unable to score a hit single from their "Free As A Bird" album. Both the title track and "I'm Beggin' You" were such great songs. A remix of "Beggin'" hit #1 on Billboard's Dance/Club Play chart but it was so different from the original version that it almost didn't sound like the same song. And ROGER HODGSON's "You Make Me Love You" was also unfairly ingnored by top 40 radio.

Mr. Bill, I LOVE this idea for a thread! This is one I can really get into! Ones that stick out in my mind:

Styx "She Cares" from PARADISE THEATER. My favorite song on the album and actually probably my favorite song Tommy Shaw EVER wrote for the group. The song's just gorgeous and once you get it in your head, you can't get it out. Cool guitar and sax solos in the middle, too. Can't believe they never put it out as a single. Really woulda outperformed "Nothing Ever Goes As Planned."

Pablo Cruise "Jenny" from REFLECTOR. Actually released as the B-side to "Cool Love," but really, really should have been an A-side of its OWN. Easily my favorite Pablo Cruise song, and a song I'd definitely want to cover if I ever had the chance to make an album of my own.

Bryan Adams "The Only One" and "What's It Gonna Be" from CUTS LIKE A KNIFE. Absolutely killer songs that had "single" written all over them. A real shame they never went past the album-track stage. Adams never DID come close to making "filler cuts" this incredible ever again.

Supertramp It was so long, that they'd have had to chop it down for a 45 edit, and I don't know that they could have done that without taking away from the emotional intensity of the song, but ... "Hide in Your Shell." That's their most once-it-gets-in-your-head-you-can't-get-it-out "filler cut", in my opinion. Fantastic melody, annoyingly catchy chorus, and a really emotionally powerful song. Gives me goosebumps.
Honorable mention to "Crazy" from FAMOUS LAST WORDS; kinda amazed this wasn't released as the follow-up to "It's Raining Again" and that "My Kind of Lady" was. I actually like "MKOL" better, but it doesn't exactly scream "obvious single" to me, and "Crazy" seems a little more like your typical Supertramp single.
(Incidentally, I wholeheartedly agree with daveK that Hodgson's "You Made Me Love You" shoulda been a huge hit. That had Top 40 written all over it. (Actually, that whole album (HAI HAI) is seriously, seriously underappreciated. There's not a single song on that album I don't like.)

OMD (Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark) Actually, why there was only ONE American 45 released from THE PACIFIC AGE (as far as I'm aware, anyway) is beyond me, 'cause that album's just chock-full of great songs; "Stay", "Goddess of Love", and "We Love You" coulda been big U.S. hits, but the one on here I REALLY would loved to see crack the Top 40 is "Watch Us Fall." Definitely one of my favorite OMD songs.

Jeff F.

Forgot a few favorites!
Cat Stevens "Bitterblue" from TEASER & THE FIRECAT and "Can't Keep It In" from CATCH BULL AT FOUR. Probably my two favorite Cat Stevens songs (as many great ones as there are to choose from) and neither one was a single, although it's easy to forget that "Can't Keep It In" was never one, since it managed to find its way onto GREATEST HITS. "Bitterblue" just sounds to me like far more of an obvious Top 40 hit than "Moonshadow" or "Morning Has Broken" (which I NEVER would have predicted would be a Top 10 hit), so how it got overlooked as a single I've always wondered. And it seems like every Cat Stevens fan I've ever gone to school with (and Cat Stevens really was THE thing to listen to in my high school) like "Can't Keep It In" the best of all his songs, so that was kind of a waste to not release as a single.

Jeff F.

Four “Herb Alpert & TJB” songs come quickly to my mind. I don’t know if any of these charted, I suspect they didn’t; but I really like them.

El Presidente - South Of The Boarder

Love So Fine – Herb Alpert’s Ninth

** I’ve read other contributors express low opinions of the next two songs, but I think they’re great.

Girl Talk – Warm

If You Could Read My Mind – Summertime

Herb and the TJB's "Hurt So Bad" from Summertime. Very smooth, and again Herb changes the song and makes it his.
Sergio Mendes and Brasil '66 "For Me" from Equinox- Kinda had a Beach Boys groove to it.
More to think of, for sure.

These should have been hit singles; most were album cuts and/or non-hit singles:

Jimmie Rodgers "I'll Say Goodbye"
Sandpipers "Angelica"
We Five "If I Were Alone"
Liza Minnelli "I Will Wait For You"
Herbie Mann "The Letter"
Wes Montgomery "Goin' On to Detroit"
Artie Butler "The Loop"
Herb & TJB "Bittersweet Samba"
BMB "In A Vera Cruz Vein"

In a parallel universe somewhere, this b-side was an a-side and a HUGE hit record:

lovesofine.jpg

It's a perfect radio record, uptempo, catchy and all done in under two minutes.

Harry
...who wishes he had the vinyl instead of just the picture in a CD booklet, online...

"For Me" actually did chart--#98 for 2 weeks, nothing to write home about, but in SLC and Seattle anyway it got tons of airplay (we moved just when it was popular). I started a "Hits Sergio should've had" thread some time ago, so I'll repeat "Gone Forever" and "Love Music" from that list.

Harry said:
I'll nominate Carpenters' "Let Me Be The One". Coming in the middle of a prolific period for them, it never got a shot at being a single, but I think it could've been huge.

My pick, also. :agree: I remember the choice was between this song and one other from the Carpenters album (which I don't recall the title of).

I really thought that Carpenters would have had another hit in 1981 following the success of their first single from the "Made In America"album, "Touch Me When We're Dancing". "Strength Of A Woman" would have been my pick for the second single, instead of "(Want You) Back in My Life Again".

Steven J. Gross said:
Herb and the TJB's "Hurt So Bad" from Summertime. Very smooth, and again Herb changes the song and makes it his.
Sergio Mendes and Brasil '66 "For Me" from Equinox- Kinda had a Beach Boys groove to it.
More to think of, for sure.

I thought HURT SO BAD was released as a single...I'd liked to have seen QUIEREME TAL COMO SOY relesaed as a single, at least in the latin-American market...also, A WALK IN THE BLACK FOREST from GOING PLACES...and MOMENTS from TBAC...

Dan

I'm no singles expert, and I don't own that infamous book, so a couple of these choices may have been singles for all I know.

Paul Williams version of "Out in the Country" or "Where Do I Go From Here", from his LIFE GOES ON album. His unusual voice was more suited to these uptempo tunes, IMHO.

Also he could have hit the charts with "Waking Up Alone" from his first LP but I do think that was a single release. Just the public didn't "get it."

Styx: My favorite Tommy Shaw tunes are "Crystal Ball" and "Man in the Wilderness." MITW especially has a great chorus.

Sergio Mendes: I think "Righteous Life" could have been a hit.

Herb Alpert: "Walk Don't Run." Again, under 2 minutes and it has it all: Great beat - killer drums - catchy familiar melody - irresistable hook. He probably did this too close to the Ventures though.

Sandpipers: "Leland Loftis," from the A GIFT OF SONG album was catchy and more rock-oriented than their usual stuff.

Baja Marimba Band: One of my favorites of theirs is "Always Something There to Remind Me" from THOSE WERE THE DAYS. Why this great rendition didn't make it onto any of the compilations is unfathomable to me.

Cat Stevens: Total agreement on "Bitterblue." There's actually not a bad track on the whole TEASER album.

Burt Bacharach: I always thought "All Kinds of People" from his self-titled LP could have been a smash. When that first came out, I couldn't stop listening to it.

Carpenters: Gotta agree on "Let Me Be The One." Could have been a smash.

The Weakness In Me--Joan Armatrading

Brasilia--Herb Alpert/TJB

Who Knows Where The Times Goes--Sandy & Fairport

Joan's was a single release, but if any A&M 45 deserved better than it got, that's the one for me...

:ed:

Harry said:
In a parallel universe somewhere, this b-side was an a-side and a HUGE hit record:

It's a perfect radio record, uptempo, catchy and all done in under two minutes.

I agree--if ever a song from Roger Nichols was destined to be a Top 40 hit, this would have been it. Killer hooks, a danceable beat, and lyrics that were almost tailor made for the AM radio. :)

OK, The Sandpipers' The Honey Wind Blows from their Misty Roses album. Now that sounds like such a warm, cozy, and Blissfully ROMANTIC :love: piece!

The Brothers Four were already enjoying success with it, but I thought they were just accompanied by (their own?) acoustic guitars. Glen Yarbrough performed it on a live album and I think The Limelighters may have covered it, too.

The Sandpipers have strings and even a haunting harpsichord added! :shock: :love:

Dave

...though I can't remember if I taped a copy and sent it to my friend in Santa Ana, or not... :o

Pressing Plant Maven W.B. said:
"Treasure" was actually the flip of two different numbers: "Monday, Monday" (#1028) and "Zazueira" (#1043). And "Miss Frenchy Brown" -- that was the flip of "A Banda" (#870).

Doh! I knew that! That's part of what sucks being overseas -- I'm nowhere near my collection to verify (with certainty) what I am writing. "Zazueira" was also reissued as a single b/w "Without Her" sometime later in an ugly red, white & pink text-only picture sleeve. Not having my collectiojn in front of me, I will venture a guess it was in the 1300's like 1337 or 1373. And "Without Her was previously available as 1065 (I think) b/w the Pisano-penned "Sandbox" (another fave of mine from Warm).

--Mr Bill

The song "Big Boy" by Nazareth from "Malice In Wonderland" back in the summer of 1980. The former rock station WHNN (96.1 in Saginaw, Michigan 1978-June 21, 1981) played that song a lot. The title track to Pablo Cruise "Worlds Away" from 1978 should have been released as a single because the group was on the Wonderful World Of Disney "Christmas At Walt Disney World" back in December 24, 1978. I taped that show when "Vault Disney" was on back in 2001 or early 2002. I'm glad I did because the Disney Channel are NOT showing any classic shows anymore. Since September of 2002, Vault Disney is no more. It has been replaced by reruns of "Even Stevens", "Boy Meets World" among others. :mad: :cry: Matt Clark Sanford, MI

Nick DeCaro's "I'm Gonna Make You Love Me" from Happy Heart, A&M SP 4176. Now that was definitely a "crown jewel" in the World of Remakes, out there! (forgot who did the original :confused: )

"Caroline, No", had nothing on The Beach Boys' version until after years of playing Nick's version; there was something which could also make it to the Top O' The Charts!

His "Amy's Theme", the Lovin' Spoonful instrumental--harmonica (played by Tommy Morgan) and all... between the two, sounds like it could have been a "TV Theme to a Musical Artist-Variety Series", I wish Nick could have had (yeah, hosted, if he could), back in the day... :sad:

And his follow-up on Blue Thumb :thumbsup:, was Chock-Full o' Songs that should'a been Big Hits!! :agree:

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom