A&M clue on Jeopardy.

Harry

Charter A&M Corner Member
Staff member
Site Admin
JeopardyA&MQuestion.jpg

Jeopardy clue on 3/31. Category was company name initials.

No one got it.

Last edited:
🤦🏽‍♂️

Then again, the general public doesn't give a crap about record labels anyway...

Jeopardy clue on 3/31. Something like "Record company name started by Herb Alpert and Jerry Moss." Category was company name initials.

No one got it.
Evidence of The dumbing down of the younger folks they weren't allowed to know things like that due to the culture of the times

Evidence of The dumbing down of the younger folks they weren't allowed to know things like that due to the culture of the times
Well, let’s give folks a break. It’s been 60 years since A&M was founded, 30 since it became just an imprint.

How well would I have done on Jeopardy in 1992, at age 36 with a question about a record label founded in 1932 that hadn’t been a thing since 1962? Especially if I hadn’t worked in radio?

We covered this before—-the irrelevancy of a label to the public began 52 years ago when A&M dumped the drop-down box and shrunk the logo to microscopic size and accelerated when custom labels with album artwork replaced standard company labels.

When I saw the clue, I kind-of figured it would be a stumper for the three contestants. They were missing a lot of questions in that game. But I thought it was interesting that they had an A&M/Herb Alpert question on his birthday. It shows that the writers are on top of things when they make these shows weeks and months in advance.

Well, let’s give folks a break. It’s been 60 years since A&M was founded, 30 since it became just an imprint.

How well would I have done on Jeopardy in 1992, at age 36 with a question about a record label founded in 1932 that hadn’t been a thing since 1962? Especially if I hadn’t worked in radio?

We covered this before—-the irrelevancy of a label to the public began 52 years ago when A&M dumped the drop-down box and shrunk the logo to microscopic size and accelerated when custom labels with album artwork replaced standard company labels.
I always liked the drop-down box label on the lp jackets. I felt it made a bold statement about the label.

Anytime the writers make clues about "old" pop-culture minutiae, the young panelists don't know the answers -- unless the clues are about superstars like the Beatles, or top-ten hit songs, that kind of thing. The namesakes of a record label aren't really all that much on the average person's radar. People are more likely to know more mainstream things like, what did the letters "RCA" stand for.

But they know the former president of Zimbabwe...

P.S.: Could be worse. One JEOPARDY contestant this week thought Diana Ross was 95 years old.

And that wasn’t the topper. Writer (M*A*S*H, CHEERS, FRASIER) Ken Levine tells it:

Keith Richards already looks embalmed! 🤣

But...me playing Jeopardy on the game system. Play the first round, skip through the categories I don't like. Play Double Jeopardy, hit a few more I don't like or know....aaaah, screw it, back to Mario Kart. 👍🏎

Back
Top Bottom