• We Five

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • The Sandpipers

Votes: 4 33.3%
  • Julius Wechter & The Baja Marimba Band

Votes: 7 58.3%

• Total voters

JOv2

Vote for your favourite cover version and tell us a bit about why you made your selection. (The selections are listed in release order.)

I voted for The Sandpipers version the We Five version was a close second but something about the Sandpipers arrangement really stood out for me

I've gotta go with the Baja Marimba Band version here. To me the song should be an instrumental as that's the way I first heard it on the radio. The version that I heard most was the one from Sounds Orchestral. I have that version on the CD called Golden Age of American Popular Music: Hits with Strings and Things.

I voted for We Five. Bev Bivens' lead vocal is pleasurable to the nth degree.

we5-promo2.jpg

Honestly, I don't really like any of these. I'd probably pick the Sandpipers version only because of the swinging arrangement behind it...but don't really care to have their perennially sleep-inducing vocals on this track either--if they omitted the vocals and added Julius to make this a Baja recording (and let's face it, the studio bands behind both were most likely very similar), it would have been perfect.

Guaraldi's version is still the gold standard. 👍

Back
Top Bottom