• Chris Montez

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Claudine Longet

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Pete Jolly

Votes: 9 81.8%

• Total voters

JOv2

Vote for your favourite cover version and tell us a bit about why you made your selection. (The selections are listed in release order.)

^ What he said! Although I do like Jobim's vocal version (on one of his Reprise albums).

I'm the opposite of Bobberman... I prefer this one with lyrics and Chris Montez nails it for me. The other two are fine (well, Claudine's is a bit lacking)...

--Mr Bill

It was a tough choice between Claudine & Pete. I opted for him because of the special flourishes at the end of his version.

JB

Had to go with Jolly on this one. I also really like Astrud Gilberto's version; Willie Bobo also did the song, and for the first half it's pretty good...then he starts scatting some unintelligible syllables that make him sound kinda like a child molester...

Here is the late great Sylvia Telles version of Dindi. Sylvia had the perfect voice for Bossa Nova--subtle and not overpowering. My favorite Brazilian Bossa singer. The video's picture is a classic. Sylvia in the middle surrounded by Jobim and Marcos Valle and the four Quarteto em Cy gals on either end. All Bossa Nova legends.

Does anybody think we'll ever get a digital version of "Herb Alpert Presents Pete Jolly"?
That would be The proverbial $64,000 Question. It would be very nice but as I think Harry hinted That album along with countless other A&M classics were Almost certainly lost in that Nasty Universal Fire back in 2008 so unless we see otherwise I wouldn't hold your breath.

The best hope would be from a foreign territory like Japan. A few Pete Jolly tracks have shown up on various artist comps, like "Windows Of The World" on some Bacharach comps.

After the Universal barbecue in the late 2000s, it's a gamble as to whether the tapes even exist anymore. I highly doubt it. If it's not Herb's or Lani's recording, I'm considering everything else from A&M went up in smoke.

After the Universal barbecue in the late 2000s, it's a gamble as to whether the tapes even exist anymore. I highly doubt it. If it's not Herb's or Lani's recording, I'm considering everything else from A&M went up in smoke.
Still hard to believe there's been no "confirmed" inventory loss. The Wikipedia entry states extreme polar-opposite positions (kinda like today's political parties 🥴) regarding any sort of accounting...

Apparently, Universal is not required to present any documentation (as authenticated by a 3rd-party auditing or conformance party) as to the extent of the actual physical damage; yet, clearly Universal knows the full magnitude of the loss of their holdings.

Hi all,

I'll preface my message by saying I've never heard this song before. But I see that this is a Brazilian song by Antônio Carlos Jobim with original Portuguese lyrics by Aloysio de Oliveira. Would love to hear the original Portuguese lyrics. If Portuguese lyrics are out of the picture, I'd go with the instrumental (in this case, by Pete Jolly).

Até logo!

Here is the late great Sylvia Telles version of Dindi. Sylvia had the perfect voice for Bossa Nova--subtle and not overpowering. My favorite Brazilian Bossa singer. The video's picture is a classic. Sylvia in the middle surrounded by Jobim and Marcos Valle and the four Quarteto em Cy gals on either end. All Bossa Nova legends.

THIS is what I'm talking about! All she had to do was sing "céu, tão grande é o céu" and I knew this was great :)

Thanks for sharing! I see Astrud Gilberto also sang this song. I think I'd like her version as well, given it's in Portuguese. (But Astrud did a great job on other English versions of Brazilian songs, so I wouldn't doubt she'd nail it in English too.)

Still hard to believe there's been no "confirmed" inventory loss. The Wikipedia entry states extreme polar-opposite positions (kinda like today's political parties 🥴) regarding any sort of accounting...

Apparently, Universal is not required to present any documentation (as authenticated by a 3rd-party auditing or conformance party) as to the extent of the actual physical damage; yet, clearly Universal knows the full magnitude of the loss of their holdings.
I guess their position is... as long as it's not in writing, it never happened. And as long as the press isn't hounding us, there's no pressure to present anything in writing.

The only way I think these things would come to light would be in litigation, to force the parties to go on record in a public court of law. Depositions and court orders would uncover a lot more than fans clamoring for answers, I think.

THIS is what I'm talking about! All she had to do was sing "céu, tão grande é o céu" and I knew this was great :)
So sad... from Wikipedia:

In December 1966, just a short while after Telles had recorded ["Dindi"] with the guitarist Rosinha de Valença, she was killed in a road accident in Rio de Janeiro.

Another quote, from Sylvia's Wikipedia page:
She also did several tribute albums to Antonio Carlos Jobim. One of the most famous classic bossa nova songs was written for her by Jobim, its namesake her nickname - "Dindi".

It will probably never happen...disclosure would lead to litigation that would probably break the company.

Thanks for sharing! I see Astrud Gilberto also sang this song. I think I'd like her version as well, given it's in Portuguese. (But Astrud did a great job on other English versions of Brazilian songs, so I wouldn't doubt she'd nail it in English too.)
Cuyler--I'm glad you like Sylvia's version of "Dindi" in Portuguese. Here is Sylvia singing splendidly in Portuguese--"Samba Torto"(Pardon My English) and "One Note Samba" from her last concert in November 1966--one month later she had her fatal accident. I have her last album "The Face I Love" from 1966. For someone who loves Brazilian music it's extraordinary. Most of the songs are written by the Brazilian masters such as Jobim, Valle and Menescal. The amazing thing is that she sings most of the songs in English incredibly well with amazingly no foreign accent! With her mastery of the English language she was planning on touring the USA to promote "The Face I Love" album. But right before 1967 arrived she was gone at only age 32. She had only a 10 year musical career but oh what a legacy she left.

And here is Sylvia Telles singing Jobim's "Samba Torto"--"Pardon My English" in English. She sounds great in both languages and both have terrific arrangements.

Back
Top Bottom