• Chris Montez

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • The Sandpipers

Votes: 5 45.5%
  • (Abstention)

Votes: 4 36.4%

• Total voters

JOv2

• Vote for your favourite cover version and tell us a bit about why you made your selection. (The selections are listed in release order.)
  • During this period, there were quite a few instances where two A&M artists recorded the same song. Given the relative high volume, I took the liberty of selecting just a few that I thought may be of particular interest to us A&M Corner folks.
  • For this poll, both Chris Montez and The Sandpipers have the dubious distinction of being cellar dwellers in the previous multi-artist shootouts; so, given there’s one song they have in common, let’s see where the chips fall.
  • (Note: For this poll, we’ll offer an abstention selection.)

I picked Sandpipers just for the sheer audacity of doing the song in Spanish ("Ayer").

I chose the Abstention option since Wes Montgomery's version wasn't listed I would have chosen that as It is my favorite version because of its Baroque classical overtones However The Sandpipers version was good but for me comes in second place Montgomery's version was the first cover of Yesterday I ever heard I will concur with Harry The Sandpipers version in Spanish was a very Bold Move

The Sandpipers' version is probably what I'm going to hear on my deathbed.🥴

Abstain!🙃

Case dismissed!

I had to give the vote to The Sandpipers for the Spanish version. Quite honestly, it was a mistake for an all Spanish album unless it was all original Spanish lyric songs. Maybe they should have done it all in English first or had a mixed selection of songs.
Chris Montez sounds too much like a teenager considering the depth of the song.

Sandpipers here, too. This is one of those Beatles tunes, though, where no cover does the original justice for me. I've never heard the Montez version but I'm not a huge fan of his voice so I'm pretty sure I wouldn't like it all that much.

Didn't Herb do this tune on one of his recent albums?

Sandpipers here, too. This is one of those Beatles tunes, though, where no cover does the original justice for me. I've never heard the Montez version but I'm not a huge fan of his voice so I'm pretty sure I wouldn't like it all that much.

Didn't Herb do this tune on one of his recent albums?
Yes, but that wouldn't be between 1965 and 1970.

Right, I was just searching my memory banks. I think even if I added Herb's new version to the competition, I would still pick the Sandpipers. I'm not exactly a big fan of Spanish vocals but with those guys it always sounds OK, I'm not sure why. Maybe because I grew up with it.

Back
Top Bottom