• Wes Montgomery

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • Chris Montez

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • Tamba 4

Votes: 1 8.3%

• Total voters
Herb Alpert inspired “polka” rhythm
Herb liked that 2/4 thing -- Town Without Pity and My Favourite Things immediately come to mind...as does the amazing Fox Hunt. Oh yeah, and Roger Nichols used the same thing on Don't Take Your Time.

The only one I don't care for so much is Edu & Bethania
Yes, it's the weakest of the 1965-70 lot and I'm not a fan of her voice; nevertheless, hearing his own Upa, Neguinho makes up for any shortcomings for me and of course his songwriting is solid.

Herb liked that 2/4 thing -- Town Without Pity and My Favourite Things immediately come to mind...as does the amazing Fox Hunt. Oh yeah, and Roger Nichols used the same thing on Don't Take Your Time.
And also the intro to I’ll Never Fall in Love Again from Pisano and Ruff.

Yes, it's the weakest of the 1965-70 lot and I'm not a fan of her voice; nevertheless, hearing his own Upa, Neguinho makes up for any shortcomings for me and of course his songwriting is solid.
I agree. It's nothing against her personally, but her voice reminds me of someone's aunt who steps up to the microphone to sing wtih the wedding band. 😁

"Upa, Neguinho" is a favorite of mine. Just looking through the player right now, there are quite a few versions beyond this one by Quarteto de Bruno Solis, Elis Regina, Herbie Mann, Brasil '66, United Future Organization, Luiz Arruda Paes, Carmen Souza (quite a weird one), and at least several others.

And also the intro to I’ll Never Fall in Love Again from Pisano and Ruff
Yup. What all these have in common is the bass on 1 and 3 -- which alternate against the 2 and 4 backbeat (it was called "pedal-chord-pedal-chord" in the 1970s world of "pop" organ playing).

Back
Top Bottom