A&M Documentary on Epix

A&MFan

Will this documentary be released any other way. I have friends who have a premium cable package and none of them have this channel. I don't know what you have to purchase in order to have it. They have several HBO's, Showtime, The Movie Channel and at one point Cinemax. No one has the Epix Channel.

I connected for $5.99 to get all the EPIX channels via Frontier Cable. I'll cancel after both parts air. I think you can also stream to your PC or laptop, but don't know the cost. Don't know if this will release as a DVD or Blu-Ray.

I poked around and found that I could get "some" of EPIX for free as an add-on to Amazon.com Prime. But it wasn't getting me to the documentary, so I poked around and found the doc listed and tried the "Watch Now" button. Then I was told I needed the EPIX NOW app, which was free for seven days and the $5.99 a month thereafter.

So I signed up for EPIX NOW and was able to watch the first part of the documentary just now.

The first 10-15 minutes are the typical setup of the meeting Herb & Jerry, the bullfights, the garage, "The Lonely Bull" is a hit. Then they show the next few albums quickly and get to WHIPPED CREAM and the cover and the fact that it brought all of the other albums with it into the popular eyes and ears.

Sergio and Lani get decent segment, and then it's on to the Monterey Pop Festival and Jerry regretting not having any artists there, and it's off to England to bring Spooky Tooth, Cat Stevens and Joe Cocker to the label. A good long segment on Joe Cocker comes in here, giving way to Cat Stevens with another long segment of his rise and then his sequestering himself away.

There's a segment on Carpenters, of course, and one on Burt Bacharach. Part one ends with a still photo of Jerry standing with Sting and The Police.
Interviews with Herb and Jerry were conducted in 2012 even though the movie is copyrighted 2021.

There was a segment on the cover art which showed some of the intervening artists not touched on like Claudine Longet and Jimmie Rodgers.

Most of the musical segments were originally on videotape and transferred to film for this presentation. One nice aspect is that whenever there's a voiceover, a text in the lower left tells you who it is - every time. Often in these docs, someone appears on screen with a caption that identifies, but then you're supposed to remember who they are all of the other times they show up. All in all, there's nothing really new here.

EPIX isn't available to Canadians by any means. I'm hoping that the program will turn up on one of our channels eventually.

Back
Top Bottom