A&M Music Used as TV or Radio production music.( 60s to the 80s)

And (as I've mentioned before) in L.A. there was a daily afternoon movie show on KTTV channel 11 (MetroMedia, eventually the local Fox O&O) called "The Ben Hunter Show" or "Ben Hunter's Movie Matinee." Ben used BMB's "Big Red" as his theme. Ben Hunter would host a "classic" movie (not unlike TCM/TNT's Robert Osborne) giving trivia on that day's movie selection, coming out of and going in to the breaks.

This was how I discovered A&M... Wanting music to play behind my 8mm movies I asked my mom what song that was. She wasn't sure, but thought it was Herb Alpert. So I pawed through my parents' record collection and found some TJB records. I used them extensively with my my pre-ten 8mm and Super 8mm movies, Eventually I found "Big Red" (at a local use record shop -- Pal's Records on Sherman Way) and used it on a student film in 1973 (the only BMB my parents had was For Animals Only).

--Mr Bill

In 1980, 2 years before I became a fan of Herb's, I remember "Beyond" was used in a commercial to sell Huffy Roadbike bicycles. When I bought the cassette tape 3 years later, I was like "Oh snap!! That's the music for the Huffy Roadbike commercial!!" (I was 17 when I bought "Beyond" or rather my father gave me the money to buy the tape. so technically he bought the tape, but I bet I'm probably showing my age here!)

Anyway, that's my A&M commercial related story!
Jazzdre

And let's remember as I mentioned elsewhere many contemporary jazz and instrumental artists which became known as smooth jazz superstars in the early days of the genre such as Bob James David Sanborn Tom Scott and others as well as artists from Windham hill and Narada all of which were used by radio and tv as production music elements and also as I mentioned The Production library music from the 70s and 80s from KPM And Later Network production music have seen public releases starting as early between 2009 and 2011 one example is The theme from the joy of painting with Bob Ross titled "Interlude composed by Larry Owens ( AKA the Late Larry Muhoberak ) who sadly passed away in 2016 comes from the Network library and one noteworthy track from KPM is a late 70s track i remember being used by CBS SPORTS titled "World Champion" composed by Keith Mansfield especially the closing part of it

We overlooked Chuck Mangione's "Give It All You Got" which was used by ABC as the theme to the 1980 Summer Olympics.

And I might have mentioned it above--the intro to "Hide and Seek" was used as a bumper for one of our local newscasts in the late 70s.

We overlooked Chuck Mangione's "Give It All You Got" which was used by ABC as the theme to the 1980 Summer Olympics.

And I might have mentioned it above--the intro to "Hide and Seek" was used as a bumper for one of our local newscasts in the late 70s.

I think the Mangione theme was for the Winter Olympics on ABC. NBC was to do the Summer games and they were boycotted and Herb's "1980" would have been used.

And 4 years before Nadias theme by Barry Devozon and Perry Botkin Jr was used for the 1976 summer Olympics in Montreal along with several other A&M artists hence the compilation Lp "Nadia's Theme" A&M SP 3412

I mentioned Sanford & Son earlier, but Quincy Jones composed other TV themes, like the theme to Ironside. That theme appeared on one of his A&M LPs, but it is not the same recording used in the TV series. (Whereas Sanford & Son was the same recording, just in edited form.) Same with a couple others that appear on his A&M albums.

The TV theme "Ironside" is from 1971 "Smackwater Jack". Also "Chump Change" used in the CBS game show "Now You See It" (Goodson - Todman Production from 1974 - 1975) with the late Jack Narz.

This may have been covered in some degree in the past but other than the game shows of the 60s I remember some A&M artists being used in local TV Productions in commercials or even short public service program themes etc so for those who were growing up in the aforementioned decades what A&M artists and songs do you remember being used in your local Radio and TV stations as themes or background music.

Here in the Norfolk Virginia area, we had a new development of homes going up in an area called Snug Harbor and they used music from Brasil'66 songs "Pra Dizer Adeus" and "Batucada." The commercial opened with the opening chords music of the former, then switched to the opening chords of the latter and then closed with the ending chords of the former.

From the mid-90’s to 2002, Global TV would use the Carpenters version of “Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas” as the closing credits for the Toronto Santa Claus Parade broadcast. There were a few years where it was every year but then they started to alternate. So the 2000 & 2002 broadcasts were the Carpenters, but for 1999 and 2001 it was a different artist.

And (as I've mentioned before) in L.A. there was a daily afternoon movie show on KTTV channel 11 (MetroMedia, eventually the local Fox O&O) called "The Ben Hunter Show" or "Ben Hunter's Movie Matinee." Ben used BMB's "Big Red" as his theme. Ben Hunter would host a "classic" movie (not unlike TCM/TNT's Robert Osborne) giving trivia on that day's movie selection, coming out of and going in to the breaks.

This was how I discovered A&M... Wanting music to play behind my 8mm movies I asked my mom what song that was. She wasn't sure, but thought it was Herb Alpert. So I pawed through my parents' record collection and found some TJB records. I used them extensively with my my pre-ten 8mm and Super 8mm movies, Eventually I found "Big Red" (at a local use record shop -- Pal's Records on Sherman Way) and used it on a student film in 1973 (the only BMB my parents had was For Animals Only).

--Mr Bill

I went there a lot!!!

Back
Top Bottom