A&M "NOW" & "THEN"

Harry

Charter A&M Corner Member
Staff member
Site Admin
This is an odd one. It's a CD promotional compilation from 1992 from Polydor K.K. Japan. This would have been a few years past the time when Alpert & Moss sold the label to PolyGram.

The two-disc comp comes in a sort of "fat-boy" case, but different from the standard ones I've seen. For a label-junkie like myself, the front cover is impressive:

A&MNow&Then01.jpg

The idea of the promotional compilation is that Disc One contains the "Now" stuff from A&M. The back cover lists the titles for that disc:

A&MNow&Then99.jpg

When I saw that on the eBay auction, my mind toyed with just what wonders would be on the "Then" disc. Since the auction was for a sealed copy, there was just no telling. It was a crap-shoot, but it also wasn't terribly expensive - around $20 for the sealed set.

So I pulled the trigger and it arrived yesterday. Eagerly I ripped through the shrink-wrap, looking to find the treasures on Disc Two. The list was impressive, as you'll see in the next post.

But - wait a minute - how in the world did they get 68 tracks on one disc?

The answer is, they really didn't, but they did compile sections of all of these songs. They flow together like a sort of "Stars On 45" deal. Anywhere from 15 seconds to 45 seconds are typical for the selections on this disc. And while it's overall a bit of a disappointment, the compilation of these track sections flows pretty nicely.

Yeah I thought of that after I posted, but I wasn't sure what year MP3s were available. Seems like they've always been around!

Back
Top Bottom