A&M Pop Bossa CD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harry

Charter A&M Corner Member
Staff member
Site Admin
733.jpg

I found a listing a week or so ago for something called A&M POP BOSSA. From what I could tell, it featured various early A&M artists doing whatever was considered Bossa Nova by the compilers. It intrigued me enough to spend the bucks to have HMV in Japan send one over to me. It arrived today, is really called MAIS QUE NADA - A&M POP BOSSA and features the following track listing:

One Note Samba - Chris Montez
Meditation (Meditacao) - Claudine Longet
Wave - Sergio Mendes & Brasil '66
Do You Know The Way To San Jose - Bossa Rio
Don't Go Breaking My Heart - Roger Nichols & The Small Circle Of Friends
Fly Me To The Moon - Chris Montez
Mais Que Nada - Sergio Mendes & Brasil '66
Day By Day - Bossa Rio
Our Day Will Come - Roger Nichols Trio
Misty Roses - The Sandpipers
The Girl From Ipanema - Chris Montez
A Felicidade - Claudine Longet
Fool On The Hill - Sergio Mendes & Brasil '66
Up, Up & Away - Bossa Rio
Quiet Nights Of Quiet Stars - Chris Montez
Dindi - Claudine Longet
Night & Day - Sergio Mendes & Brasil '66
Old Devil Moon - Bossa Rio
Manha De Carnaval - Claudine Longet

The compilation is dated 1998. There are liner notes in Japanese and printed lyrics, but the color scheme leaves a lot to be desired - pale yellow on white - virtually unreadable. It almost looks like only one color of a multi-color process printed, but it spans all inside pages, making that error seem unlikely.

These Japanese compilations seem to be made for some of us A&M junkies!

Harry
...with yet another compilation in the collection, online...

Harry said:
I found a listing a week or so ago for something called A&M POP BOSSA. From what I could tell, it featured various early A&M artists doing whatever was considered Bossa Nova by the compilers. It intrigued me enough to spend the bucks to have HMV in Japan send one over to me. It arrived today, is really called MAIS QUE NADA - A&M POP BOSSA and features the following track listing:

Hmmm, you'd think they would include "Desafinado" and/or "Crawfish" from the TJB, since they are in a bossa mode as well.

Capt. Bacardi
...still soaked in Texas online...

This was released in 1998, which was around the time Herb began to "not permit" his stuff on random compilations. Remember the MI HISTORIA series? I suspect that the Japanese WOULD have included the TJB on this one but perhaps couldn't get the necessary permissions.

Harry
...with theories, online...

Harry--did they find a master tape for Nichols' "Our Day Will Come" yet? The Complete CD has the dubbed 45RPM single on it...would be nice to hear it w/o the groove wear! (I'd already cleaned out the scratches and re-EQ'ed it to match the rest of the CD. :D )

-= N =-

^^ Nope, it's the same 45 vinyl track used in COMPLETE.

Harry
NP: radio at work

Captain Bacardi said:
Hmmm, you'd think they would include "Desafinado" and/or "Crawfish" from the TJB, since they are in a bossa mode as well.
"Girl From Ipanema," "The Charmer," and any given song from Warm would've fit nicely as well. Pity they couldn't get the rights.

- William

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom