A&M Prime Cuts

Harry

Charter A&M Corner Member
Staff member
Site Admin
Back in 1990, Japan issued a series of CDs called PRIME CUTS, and I managed to find one of these, This is Volume 1. It seems to span the 1960s.

PrimeCutsFront.jpgPrimeCutsRear.jpg

Unlike so many compilations of various artists, this one really does go for the "prime" cuts of these artists. An oddity on this comp is the inclusion and recognition of George McCurn with his "I'm Just A Country Boy". The track on here is the mono version and it sounds exceptionally clean.

Also odd is the inclusion of "Lonely Drifter" by Pieces Of Eight. I don't think I'd ever heard of that one before.

I'm surprised that it doesn't start with "The Lonely Bull".... Wasn't that "A&M 101?" Or did McCurn pre-date Herb's single somehow?

Also surprising that it says Sergio Mendes & "The Brazil '66."

How many volumes of this series were there?

I believe there are three volumes with the second one covering the 70s and the third covering the 80s. They were compiled and released in 1990 by Pony Canyon in Japan, so this was right around the time that Polygram was taking charge of A&M.

I'm surprised that the McCurn track is first too - in fact, I'm surprised it's there at all! Could this be the only CD that it ever appeared on?

[Answer: There's also an Australian CD from 2003 called Hazy Memories with the McCurn track: Various - Hazy Memories Volume 2 ]

Based on my own personal musical interests, I'd love to find Volumes 2 and 3.

The front covers are all the same except for the Volume numbers.

A&M PRIME CUTS VOL 2a.jpg

A&M PRIME CUTS VOL 3a.jpg

A&M PRIME CUTS VOL 4a.jpg

A&M PRIME CUTS VOL 5a.jpg
Wow Based on the song listings this would have made a Great Dream Box set Closer to what we would have liked to see for the A&M 50 th but then again that would be subjective but there are several tracks here that didnt make the cut on the aforementioned 50th set

Patience has paid off and I've located and received a PRIME CUTS VOL. 2 today. I wanted this one because of the inclusion of two rare tracks, "The Lord's Prayer" by Sister Janet Mead, and "A Song Of Joy" by Miguel Rios. They're tough to find on CD, and both here sound like they were mastered from original tapes.

One oddity that I'm hearing is the track by Carpenters, "(They Long To Be) Close To You". The record starts with Karen's vocals somehow skewed toward the right channel with a lot of high's. Right after the first "Close To You" on the word "stars", her vocal moves to the center. Comparing this with other versions I have, it appears on several other Japanese compilations like the two Gold Series discs.

Patience has paid off and I've located and received a PRIME CUTS VOL. 2 today. I wanted this one because of the inclusion of two rare tracks, "The Lord's Prayer" by Sister Janet Mead, and "A Song Of Joy" by Miguel Rios. They're tough to find on CD, and both here sound like they were mastered from original tapes.

One oddity that I'm hearing is the track by Carpenters, "(They Long To Be) Close To You". The record starts with Karen's vocals somehow skewed toward the right channel with a lot of high's. Right after the first "Close To You" on the word "stars", her vocal moves to the center. Comparing this with other versions I have, it appears on several other Japanese compilations like the two Gold Series discs.
Congratulations Harry 👏 on your purchase I rejoice with you those two songs are favorites of mine as well I first had the Lord's prayer single in the Late 80s and I loved it and still do.

Now the search is on for Volume 3. It's got the De Vorzon/Botkin "Nadia's Theme", another rare find on CD in its original mix. #4 would be OK for the right price, but not essential to me. #5 I can skip.

Now the search is on for Volume 3. It's got the De Vorzon/Botkin "Nadia's Theme", another rare find on CD in its original mix. #4 would be OK for the right price, but not essential to me. #5 I can skip.
Definitely worth it For Nadia's Theme. Its too bad A&M never Reissued the 1976 Compilation album on CD Or Digital it would have been a nice coup.

I wanted this one because of the inclusion of two rare tracks, "The Lord's Prayer" by Sister Janet Mead, and "A Song Of Joy" by Miguel Rios. They're tough to find on CD, and both here sound like they were mastered from original tapes.

Both are rare birds for sure in the digital world.
Miguel Rios is only on Eric 11531 Hard To Find 45s On CD, Vol. 13: The Love Album
Sister Janet Mead is only on Rhino 70759 Super Hits Of The 70's Volume 12

Eric 11518 Hard To Find Orchestral Instrumentals Volume 2 is the only place I know of Nadia's Theme on a USA released CD.
But it's not the hit 45 version. Instead they edited down the stereo version from "Bless The Beasts And The Children" vinyl LP version to be close to the original single.
Is the Nadia's theme on Prime Cuts the actual single?

WOW on Discogs there is one copy of Prime Cuts Vol 3 for the low price of $643.17! None of the other volumes are available.

Is the Nadia's theme on Prime Cuts the actual single?
I don't own Volume 3 of PRIME CUTS, just 1 and 2 so far. But it's hard to say regarding "Nadia's Theme" as to what version it might be. On the NADIA'S THEME album, the song appears twice, once in the 2:50 length that's listed on the single, and a shorter reprise version at 1:54.

Now the strange thing there, is that the 2:50 version on the album in fact contains an edit at 1:50 to loop the main melody one more time and extend the song. The version on BLESS THE BEASTS AND CHILDREN soundtrack clocks in at 2:00, and is probably the basis for the "Nadia's Theme" single which was extended to the 2:50 mark. The Reprise version starts out with a slower piano, so that's not the single.

And to confuse things further, Perry Botkin placed the song on his A&M album called PORTS. Totally different version.

Reading over those Prime Cuts track lists again. Wow, listening to any one of these would be like being inside a musical pinball machine.

Back
Top Bottom