A&M Retro

At #147 appears to be 'VOLUME TWO' by TJB. The entry is self titled but I can make out 'LP 103' in the footnote.

JB

This error can be found on many Billboard charts of the day. We also saw early BMB articles calling them the Maja Marimba Band. Apparently at the start of a career, unless
you're John Smith, you're likely to have typos in your press clippings! :wink:

That chart was issued on the day before my fifteenth birthday! They say that the music you liked when you were fourteen sticks with you the rest of your life. Looks to be true in my case.

Frank Gorshin was on A&M?!! WOW!! Didn't know THAT!! Just saw him tonight on an old episode of "The Munsters". He played a slick car salesman who tricked Herman into buying a hot car.("hot" as in wanted by the police "hot".)

I want to see the double-page ad for Supertramp's Crime of the Century that appeared in Billboard as the result of a lost bet. I don't remember who, two people had a bet that the album would hit some milestone (saleswise or chartwise, I'm not sure) and the loser had to pay for that ad. The ad itself told the story of how it came to be. I think one party was the band's management, and the other was somebody at A&M, but that might be wrong. Anyone else remember this ad?

They say that the music you liked when you were fourteen sticks with you the rest of your life. Looks to be true in my case.
Definitely true here -- I wasn't really into pop music yet when I was 14 (in 1970/71) -- byt A&M music was already a big part of my existence by then.

The old advertising copy is amazingly cool.

I got into pop music when I was about 7. Between my second and third grade years in elementary school I had every childhood disease known to man. Yeesh. My dad grew up literally on the side of a mountain in PA and never had any of that stuff, so he had to stay away from me when I was sick. He came to my bedroom door one day when I was scratching my chicken pox and said, "Here you go, kid," and threw a box across the room to me. It was the first transistor radio I had ever seen. And so it began. :uhhuh:

BILLBOARD 1966-09-10 BAJA PORTUGUESEa.jpg

BILLBOARD SEPTEMBER 10, 1966

I have almost zero Baja Marimba Band singles, but I DO have this one - a white label promo and this one is more compressed with reverb added compared to the album version. Really cool!

Oh yeah - the title on the 45 is in the plural, but the ad is in the singular.
R-4470929-1471406790-8852.jpeg.jpg

I love these old ads I have a Good condition MONO vinyl copy Of Chris Montez Lp "The More I See You " A&M Lp 115 I also have a needledrop cd of it The Mono versions of anything On A&M Are Extremely Rare so I'm very fortunate to have what I have.

Back
Top Bottom