A&M SOMETHING SPECIAL

That's a pretty nice compilation. Seeing "Promise of a Fisherman" on there is pretty unexpected and surprising -- probably my favorite tune from the end of Sergio's first A&M stint.

--Mr. Bill

I like this one. I've assembled into a playlist and have been enjoying the way it sort-of flows together. A number of the older multi-artist compilations get a little bogged down with acts like a Chris Montez or a Claudine Longet or a Jimmie Rodgers, or a Liza Minnelli, not that I don't like those artists, they're OK in some circumstances, but they sometimes seem a little out of place in the midst of the other A&M artists that I really like.

With this playlist, the most unfamiliar stuff comes from Gato Barbieri, but I do have all of those recordings, and being mostly instrumentals, they sort-of fit in.

Kind of an unusual playlist, what with there being early Sergio, Bacharach and Sandpipers on there, but no early TJB.

I'm really surprised they included Brasil '77's "Promise of a Fisherman." You'd think "After Sunrise" would have been a better fit, given the context.

It would be interesting to interview the compiler(s) and find out why they picked what they did. Props to them, though, for creating an A&M "overview" that doesn't begin with "The Lonely Bull" (or "Mas Que Nada").

Looks like Polygram Mexico did another one of these with the awkward title of MORE SOMETHING SPECIAL. Pictures from Discogs:

1634211413818.png

1634211432138.png

Yeah, I found one too - on Discogs. Mine just arrived today from Mexico in pretty good shape. It makes a nice pairing with the earlier set. I've never collected any of Quincy Jones' stuff, so it's nice to sample a few tracks on this disc.

Back
Top Bottom