A Message From The Moderation Staff :: Forum Rules

Rudy

ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ
Staff member
Site Admin
Dear members,

We've noticed an increase in the amount of negativity on the forum, in regard to comments within our discussions as well as behavior toward other members and persons who are the subject of our discussions. To clarify things a bit, let us restate portions of our forum rules.

1. Personal attacks on persons outside our forum, as well as your fellow forum members, will not be tolerated. Calling another member a name is just as offensive as calling one of A&M's artists an "idiot" for their art or their actions. We've been a bit lenient in recent months, but we're upholding this standard for everyone, including those on our moderation staff.

2. Thread craps will no longer be tolerated. If you have an opposing opinion, feel free to start your own thread; don't "crap" in someone else's. If for example, a thread praises a new recording like "Timeless", don't jump in and say "it sucks"; start your own thread about it. An about-face comment ruins the spirit of the original thread. Note: in some threads, such as a review thread, or a "what do you think of..." thread, for example, it is likely a debate will begin. In these threads, a positive OR negative viewpoint may be expressed, but once again, we expect that well thought-out, constructive criticism will carry your opinion much further than starting an argument over it.

Our goal is to keep our forum discussions friendly and inviting, and participation should be encouraged by all members without fear of expressing their own opinions and/or being ridiculed for them. We realize that we've all been guilty of this to a certain extent, and we want to address this before it reels out of control. Our moderation staff will be watching more closely for this kind of behavior, as well as checking their own behavior in the future as well.

Thanks for reading!

Rudy & The A&M Corner Moderation Staff

Mark-T

Thank you for your handling of this matter.
I belong to a few other discussion groups and the "crap" flies too easily these days.
I especially appreciate your last sentence. A very humble approach.
All of you folks are great- and it is an honor to be part of this forum!

Captaindave

Rudy's points are well taken.

If ALL members/posters - as suggested - will abide thereby, the forum will maintain its integrity and excellence, and a high caliber of intelligent and informative interaction can continue.
That would be very desirable, because this is the only forum of which I am aware that sponsors this kind of discussion about these particular topics.

The issue herein, as well as the content of many recent threads, suggests to me that a possible question has arisen as to whether the forum is intended primarily for "hero worship" types of discussion and posting - a fan club type forum - or whether discussion and discourse can be tolerated wherein opinions/views might differ. It should go without saying that any discussion wherein differing opinions are expressed should remain civil and polite, and should maintain a tone more toward the sharing of ideas, thoughts, or information than becoming judgmental and/or negatively critical.

I think there is a big difference between the poster who wants to extol the praises of a favorite artist regardless of the specific merits/specific examples of that artist's work in any kind of objective/critical sense; and the poster who hopes to engage in discussion as to the relative merits or lack thereof of that same work. The latter poster may truly admire the artist, but isn't always interested in opportunities for hero worship, and may, in fact, feel that not everything the artist ever did or does at this time is of equal worth/value. I believe that this forum contains members of both orientations.

I would hope that there would be equal opportunity to post in both directions without intimidation or unnecessary criticism. For those who wish to engage in posting the praises of their favorite artist - so be it; and for those who wish to speak in more "evaluative" terms - so be it, as well.

FWIW...

Dave

I'm glad that despite being sometimes "argumentive" over issues, they can most often be Peacefully Settled...

True, it's a thin line between it being "fairly quiet" around here and unfortunately, when a typical chaos errupts, and I'll really gladly take the former any day... :laugh:

A lot of time, effort and work for which (so far) nobody gets paid really goes into this Site... I really can't imagine going ANYWHERE else on the Web and you should know that from my sudden "increase" in Posts... :oneeye:

The Technical Workings alone, deserve praise and this is one place I can go that I would call "Total User-Friendly"... --I mean a lot of care seems to even go into "Private Messages"...! :wink:

So, Hats Off to those who always make A&M Corner Completely Inhabitable! :cat:

Dave

Mr Bill

Gentlemanly Curmudgeon
Staff member
Violators will face severe punishment!

First three offenses:

Fourth (and final) offense:

--Mr Bill

sballard

Dear members,

We've noticed an increase in the amount of negativity on the forum, in regard to comments within our discussions as well as behavior toward other members and persons who are the subject of our discussions. To clarify things a bit, let us restate portions of our forum rules.

1. Personal attacks on persons outside our forum, as well as your fellow forum members, will not be tolerated. Calling another member a name is just as offensive as calling one of A&M's artists an "idiot" for their art or their actions. We've been a bit lenient in recent months, but we're upholding this standard for everyone, including those on our moderation staff.

2. Thread craps will no longer be tolerated. If you have an opposing opinion, feel free to start your own thread; don't "crap" in someone else's. If for example, a thread praises a new recording like "Timeless", don't jump in and say "it sucks"; start your own thread about it. An about-face comment ruins the spirit of the original thread. Note: in some threads, such as a review thread, or a "what do you think of..." thread, for example, it is likely a debate will begin. In these threads, a positive OR negative viewpoint may be expressed, but once again, we expect that well thought-out, constructive criticism will carry your opinion much further than starting an argument over it.

Our goal is to keep our forum discussions friendly and inviting, and participation should be encouraged by all members without fear of expressing their own opinions and/or being ridiculed for them. We realize that we've all been guilty of this to a certain extent, and we want to address this before it reels out of control. Our moderation staff will be watching more closely for this kind of behavior, as well as checking their own behavior in the future as well.

Thanks for reading!

Rudy & The A&M Corner Moderation Staff

sballard

Rudy, have not talked wih you in what seems like forever, has it been about 15 years or more? Still in San Francisco, e-mail me when time allows Sue Ballard

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom