1. A&M Corner can now be found on Instagram! Follow us on our new account at @a.m.corner .
    You may also follow us on Twitter: @amcorner.

A Note About Polls (after the conversion)

Discussion in 'Announcements, Forum Business & Help Desk' started by Rudy, Mar 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rudy

Rudy ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ Site Admin Thread Starter

US
    Normally, polls from phpBB2 do not import very well over to vBulletin (which we used as an intermediate step). This involved my having to write my own conversion script to rebuild one of the tables in vBulletin so it could be used in XenForo. In order for it to work, though, I had to "fudge" the data a little bit so I could save our poll results, and still allow visitors to vote on polls they had not yet voted on.

In phpBB2, the database kept track of who voted in each poll, but did not keep track of which choice each voter made. vBulletin and XenForo do keep track of that. What I had to do to compensate was randomly assign one poll voter to each poll response.

In XenForo, after you vote on a poll, your choice is shown with an asterisk next to it. For all imported polls, your voted choice in the poll will not be correct if you voted on the poll before the conversion. So, you may have voted for one choice, but the poll will actually show another choice (most likely one you did not make). A small sacrifice, considering that I was about ready to not import any polls at all.

XenForo's polling system has additional features we can use on future polls--you can make a poll "public" to see who voted for each choice, and you can also create multiple-choice polls, to vote on more than one item at a time. All imported polls are set to "private" (meaning, you cannot see who voted on which choices), only due to how they were imported. There will be no such restriction on any new polls posted from here on out.

2. Captain Bacardi

Captain Bacardi Well-Known Member Moderator

I just did the Baseball 2011 poll and noticed that I couldn't list all 30 teams. I guess there's a 25 item limit on the polls.

3. Rudy

Rudy ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ Site Admin Thread Starter

US
    30? I can bump that up, no problem. Go ahead and list the additional teams. :thumbsup:

4. Captain Bacardi

Captain Bacardi Well-Known Member Moderator

Okay, done! Since some people already voted I made changes after the Phillies, so they may not be exactly in alphabetical order, but they're all there now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.