A ridiculous dream, analyzed and explained.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harry

Charter A&M Corner Member
Staff member
Site Admin
5:52 AM... I awaken from a dream with the impulse to go looking through my nearly non-existent coin collection to look for 'something missing.' No, not the song, but I promise this IS Carpenters related. You should probably know a bit of my history; that I collected coins for years and sold most of them off before retiring to Florida.

Somewhere in the recesses of my brain while I slept, I conjured up the idea that Carpenters had been honored on a series of US commemorative quarters like was done with the states, territories, and national parks and monuments. And this series was something I'd collected, but forgotten about - that's the important part here.

In my dream, I was beginning to remember that these existed, that they had been issued in the '90s, back before we discussed things on the Internet, and that because they were locked away somewhere in a closet, that I just forgot they existed at all.

And here's why it became all-important that I find them: each quarter, if connected somehow, actually had a sound file embedded on it. That little factoid also needed to be investigated, but first I had to find the coins. Some of these sound files were standard stories of Carpenters rise to fame, but one actually featured a completed song that was never released anywhere else. My goal was to find that quarter and access that sound file.

Putting this into words, I'm beginning to understand just why my brain fabricated this little scenario. First, we had a thread started yesterday about "Before Carpenters". That translated in my brain to "Before we could discuss Carpenters on the Internet". In our thread, there were several mentions of Simon & Garfunkel. Bear with me here.

On this week's SUNDAY MORNING on CBS, they featured an interview with a US mint sculptor, and I watched it and then later sorted though some quarters I had lying around, looking for his initials.

Also within the past few days I've been delving into some Paul Simon stuff both with and without Art Garfunkel. Their CONCERT IN CENTRAL PARK has been airing on PBS, and it was brought to my attention that in another DVD of theirs (OLD FRIENDS LIVE ON STAGE), there's a bonus studio track made in 2004 called "Citizen Of The Planet". It's only available on that CD/DVD. I knew I had the DVD and began several hours-worth of attempts to rip the audio from it, but none of my software would work. Some sort of copy-protection was embedded on that DVD and it wouldn't allow me to rip just the audio.

Then it hit me, that I DID have the CD. It was included in a recent Simon & Garfunkel COMPLETE ALBUMS COLLECTION box set which I bought for some of the remasterings. So it turns out I DID have "Citizen Of The Planet" on CD that was easily rippable to the computer. So that's where the idea of a long-lost song came from that was already in my possession. My brain twisted it to a Carpenters song embedded on a quarter, of all things!

So, my friends, don't go searching through your pocket change for that rare Carpenters quarter with embedded sound. You won't find it - and neither did I.

Harry
...now awake and functioning normally, online...

Which surely leads to the question ... does anyone else here have Carpenters-related dreams? I've had several over the years and always, as dreams often are, confused and jumbled and crazy. Mine seem to have centred on KC being alive and well and chatting to me. RC also took me on a personal tour of his recording facility and home!

all of that and stumbling upon never before records in store. in my repetitive dreams Karen knows me and we visit and then I sit and play lemme hear your lower register.

Which surely leads to the question ... does anyone else here have Carpenters-related dreams? I've had several over the years and always, as dreams often are, confused and jumbled and crazy. Mine seem to have centred on KC being alive and well and chatting to me. RC also took me on a personal tour of his recording facility and home!

I had a dream about Karen once and in it, she came to visit me and we went for a walk in my local park. It was a lovely sunny day and she was dressed in the outfit she's wearing in the video for All You Get From Love Is A Love Song :)

oddly enough at our 20 years of blissful togetherness my bf told me last night he dreamed of Karen she guided us on a tour of the mountain home she had for sale..

I laughed was tickled and kinda surprised that my obsession has entered into his dream life. haha so funny and how wonderful for him. to think asleep we both conjure Karen Carpenter. Power in them there 40 winkies. my job is done successfully implanting CarpenterS into his subconscious

don't u guys n dolls find it striking that the deeply rooted fantasies for all things K&R manifest in such parallels between us connisuers of art n appreciation? Such unity n the community. Such commaraderie. A brother /sisterhood. The ties that bind us are loving in some respects. oh jeepers I guess I have a big ol Manc crush on Y'all ! Yes even you so n so???

couldn't have said it better, myself, djn.... :)

and Harry - I was riveted when reading your story... I couldn't get to the next line fast enough!! :)

Yup - I like this thread also! Next time I'm wide awake at 4:AM without a friend in sight, I'll try to fall back asleep and conjure up a Carpenters dream or two!

When giving a "like" is not enough...

I just have to say that this thread, among others, is what exemplifies a welcoming place, one that makes me feel good, even giving me chills! From Harry's dream to the follow-up heartfelt replies. This is the A&M Corner Forum that I enjoy. Keep it coming, Friends! :)

I couldn't agree more with all of you! We all should be so lucky to conjure such vivid moments of fleeting but fascinating points of connection with Richard and Karen (of course, particularly with Karen, due to the understandable yearning on the part of all of us that something had spared her from such a tragic fate)...Harry's amazing dream has brought forth a kind of repressed dream memory of an analogous anomaly from a couple of years ago, shortly after discovering this forum--I distinctly remember conjuring up in dreamland a "Lost Videos by the Carpenters" package, which contained fully-produced visual presentations for a series of songs that never, ever had them...oddly enough, most of these were for songs that I'd been recently saturating myself with--"Road Ode" (no surprise to anyone who's read my posts!!), "Clancy," "Eve", "Bwana," "Crescent Noon" and "Another Song".

Now it occurs to me as I write this that I have seen videos for many of these songs--on YouTube. One of the benefits of the Internet age is that so many folks can be creative and put together their own presentations for lesser-known classics--including, of course, the Carpenters.

But I do dimly remember waking up and looking over at my stash of Carps' stuff and having that little "letdown moment" when I realized that all those videos for those wonderful songs didn't actually exist. Maybe in an alternate universe, eh??

Fabulous thread, all!

What a coincidence! I was rereading some bits and flipping through Stephen King's Full dark, no stars (pretty enjoyable book) AND the protagonist's husband of the fourth (and my favorite) story, A good marriage, IS a coin collector... and not just that, lol. Try it and tell us if there are any more parallels between you two, I hope not! :D

Carp related dream No. 1: About 20 years ago, had reoccurring dreams about being in a record store and finding Carpenter albums (mostly international releases) I'd never seen before with songs I never knew existed;

Carp related dream No. 2: This just happened a couple months ago...a good friend of mine passed away suddenly of cancer (within a year of diagnosis) and a bunch of his friends and I had a "party" on the anniversary of his death where we all sat around and shared our memories and what he meant to us all. This friend was a HUGE music aficionado and had an IPod with over 8,000 songs on it. We'd always talk music and he especially liked that I had this weird mind for useless 7o's related music trivia. He also knew that I was a huge Carpenters fan and, of course, out of 8,000+ songs, he had more than a few of their tunes represented. Anyway, to make a long story short (too late, I know), THAT VERY NIGHT of the "party" I had a dream where my deceased friend "arraigned" for me to meet Karen at a hotel room. What was odd to me is that in the dream I had no recollection that neither my friend nor Karen were dead and when she arrived she was a 60-year old Karen that looked aged-appropriate...not like an old lady, but almost like she had some "work" done around her eyes and with long dyed hair to hide the gray. She was thin but not unhealthy looking at all. She was very kind and, as I would expect, I was at a loss for words. It seemed very real, of course, at the time. I woke up and realized what happed and just said to myself "wow." Did my deceased friend want to thank me for the kind reminiscing at the party in his honor and really "arrange" a visit with Karen who he knows "on the other side?" Or was it my own mind being "confused, jumbled, and crazy." What makes it crazy for me is that I had no idea Karen was dead and that the Karen I met was the Karen that would be today had she not died. Cue theme to Twilight Zone.

Carp related dream No. 1: About 20 years ago, had reoccurring dreams about being in a record store and finding Carpenter albums (mostly international releases) I'd never seen before with songs I never knew existed;

That's so freaky, it reminds me of a recurring dream I used to have. I dreamt I lived in Paris (which I actually used to) and there was this huge record store in a shopping mall which had CDs by every artist you could imagine. When I went to look up 'C' for Carpenters I found, to my amazement and delight, CDs which consisted purely of outtakes and unreleased tracks I'd never heard of (and which don't actually exist :laugh:). My frustration in the dream was that I only had so much money and not enough to scoop them all up. So I pondered over individual items, picking them up, putting them back down again, trying to weigh up which ones to buy that would give me the biggest amount of rarities and wondering if the ones I didn't buy would get snapped up by someone else. So I started hiding the ones I couldn't take in other parts of the store, hoping that when I came back they'd still be hidden there.

I always woke up disappointed this dream wasn't real as I felt I'd missed out on some "buried treasure". Very bizarre as the dream was always exactly the same.

Last edited:
I've definitely had Carpenters related dreams...
It sounds silly, but there were ones where I'd talk with Karen. I can't tell you what the conversations were about cause that's all I can recall.
I know I've had those types before. Not in a long time though.
The one that sticks out to me most...
From what I remember, I used to have a recurring dream where I kept hearing an unreleased "MIA" outtake.
It sounded a lot like "Strength". I was fascinated by this song whatever it was. Something to do with Valentine's day.
Anyways, I tried to re-create it in waking life, but it didn't turn out very great.
I sort of used the idea in a recording, but turned it into something else.

This just in...

Finally... Last night I, too (yet for the first time ever that I can remember), had a dream about Karen! In my dream, I was singing with Karen. (Yeah, in your dreams, James!)

In my dream, Karen and I were on a stage at a restaurant doing karaoke as a duo. (As I've mentioned here, karaoke is a passion of mine...) Oddly enough, I don't know the song we were singing. (I hope it wasn't "Love Shack!") I know that Karen was on my right as we started to sing, and then she had to leave the stage briefly (don't know why). While she was gone, I remembered thinking that I would have to ask her if she has a karaoke version of "Two Sides." Surely, she would have access to that, and then for our next song, we could perform "Two Sides" together. "Two Sides" is a favorite of mine, and a karaoke version of that song remains elusive (and unproduced); it's at the top of my wish list.

My dream ended before Karen returned... Dreams, being what they are, the visions are fleeting. Any yet this one was quite satisfying...

I would like to share something similar:

A dream of me sitting with Pat Boone listening to him explain details about his albums...

The news about A&M Records folding/being sold/Herb Alpert "letting it go", etc. and riding in a taxi cab with the driver being a hopeful citing "Now I can't get my record contract!"...

My BB KING IN LONDON album stuck in a groove and being in a record haunt w/ a record player in the background playing some sort o' (c)Rap/House type thing, by someone test playing some vinyl... Although it was a word in a song repeating "Scepter, scepter...etc."...!

The late Kat (my mom) being alive & well and denying her death!:angel:

-- Dave

A few years ago I had a dream about the Carpenters, but it was like a music video. But Richard (late-70's, early80's era) was in a chair rocking a baby to sleep, while Karen was sitting at a grand piano playing the late-80's hit "I've Had The Time Of My Life". And Karen was actually playing the piano, and singing.

Had Karen live, I think she could've been the female vocalist on the Dirty Dancing song, and even appeared on its soundtrack.

Not a dream, but the anesthesiologist for my recent back surgery had a speech pattern exactly like Richard Carpenter's. Could pass for his younger brother.

I can finally contribute to this thread :D

I had a dream only yesterday (hehe), I don't remember the particulars. My dad and I saw Richard Carpenter somewhere, and knowing how big a fan I am, my dad went up to him and brought him back to where we were. Then the three of us talked about cars.
I hope that's how I actually get to meet him someday...!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom