A Salute to Jeri Stevens of Brasil 77

lj

We all know how magnificently Jeri Stevens sang in unison with Gracinha Leporace on the Primal Roots album. But here is sample of Jeri's terrific voice singing solo on a verse from "The Look of Love" from the "In Concert" album from the Greek Theater. "The Look of Love" even has the same Dave Grusin arrangement ending with a nifty "Oye Como Va" embellishment. Jeri also sings solo on a verse from "Going out of my Head" from the same album. Great job Jeri!

The internet refers to 1973 in regards to the "In Concert" album. While the album may have been released in the UK in 1973, the show was recorded live between September 4-10, 1972 when Sergio and the band had co-billing and appeared on stage with Henry Mancini and his orchestra at LA's Greek Theater. That's why on some songs you will hear strings and horns backing up Brasil 77. While never released in the USA, I bought "In Concert" via Amazon this year. And for me it's a treasured 1972 musical bookend along with "Primal Roots." And then the group left A&M Records on top of their musical game, never to be equaled.

I don't have an answer to your question JMK.

Excuse my typo, her first name was spelled Geri with a G not a J.

My post was a joke. I don't think Pink Shoelaces is exactly in Sergio's wheelhouse. :)

Here is a terrific interview of Geri/Dodie. Go to 15:15 with her insightful comment that singers are musical actors with notes attached to words. From there she will describe her happy memories in 1972 working with Sergio Mendes & Brasil 77.

Back
Top Bottom