A Song For You LP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rick-An Ordinary Fool

I have never owned this LP but I picked up a used copy today for $2.00, it is the first pressing with the flap on the side cardboard style LP. It is in excellent condition, no surface noise.

However I am baffled about this. Listening to track 2, Top of the World, this song is noticeably different, Karen's lead is different & she sings it more country like & her pronuciation is different. I'm pretty sure I remember someone here talking about this. I believe this is the first time I am hearing this version from the LP.

What I am baffled about is...I have A Song for You on Cd not the re-mastered classic but the original dated 1972 on back with white background on the back. CD #3511. I also have the MFSL A Song for You Gold Master Disc Recording. Neither of these have the version of Top of the World that is on the LP.

That means Richard changed & Karen re-recorded her lead on this song before it ever went to CD.

Like I said I have the LP I think was the first pressing, did A Song For You LP get a different pressing that still carried this original Top of the World on it? Is this unmixed song only available on the first pressing of the LP?

Sorry if this is old stuff but all this stuff is facinating to me once I can hear it myself from the LP.

All the Song For You LPs, regardless of pressing, contain the original recording of Top of the World. The original version is also on the From the Top boxset, and the remastered classic CD. The original (not remastered) CD, and the MSFL CD both contain the later recording of the song, which is the single version (also on the Singles 1969-1973 LP).

Murray

Chris-An Ordinary Fool said:
Listening to track 2, Top of the World, this song is noticeably different, Karen's lead is different & she sings it more country like & her pronuciation is different. I'm pretty sure I remember someone here talking about this. I believe this is the first time I am hearing this version from the LP.

I noticed something else about this version: The steel guitar track is also different from the 1973 single.

I believe that Karen recut her lead vocal on TOP OF THE WORLD for the Singles 1969-1973 vocal, and had a new guitar in it as well. So there are 2 version....The "A SONG FOR YOU" album version which sounds different, and the "Singles 1969-1973" version which I love better.

Cameron

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom