"A Song For You" Remastered Classics CD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Actorman

I finally picked up "A Song For You" and "Now and Then" on CD this past weekend, the final two albums that I had not upgraded from my old vinyl copies.

While looking throught the "ASFY" booklet (mainly just to see if it contained all the lyrics and graphics from the original album's inner sleeve) I was surprised to see that Richard penned an introduction and track-by-track annotation for it as well.

Anyone know or have a guess as to why Richard only did this for this one album? It would have been really sweet to have had that for all of the Remastered Classics. It just seemed odd that "they" (A&M, Richard, whoever) would include "bonus material" (so to speak) on only one out of a whole series that came out pretty much at the same time.

Maybe it's a stupid question and nobody really cares... but I find anomalies like this really interesting.

Not a stupid question at all - and I have at least some part of an answer.

Back in the late '80s, Mobile Sound Fidelity Labs issued a version of A SONG FOR YOU. They're an audiophile label that have put together certain albums in supposedly better quality than the standard issue. In the vinyl days, they used things like half-speed mastering and virgin vinyl to produce some pretty nice LPs. In the CD age, their whole reason for being started to fade away. But for whatever reason, A SONG FOR YOU was issued.

Along with various new remixes, Richard included a track-by-track annotation in the liner notes - and it was THOSE that found their way over to the Remastered Classics series disc (in a somewhat updated form). Why? Well that's anyone's guess.

Still, as you mention, it's a nice treat if you hadn't seen them before.

Harry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom