'A Song For You'

PamelaHelmer48

I bought the CD for the bargain price of £3.99 today, after hearing the title track on the radio (played in tribute to Leon Russell) and loving it.

I'm not a huge Carpenters fan, but must admit this album is very enjoyable.

I can't believe the title track is excluded from compilations in favour of dreck such as 'Please Mr Postman'!

I can't believe the title track is excluded from compilations in favour of dreck such as 'Please Mr Postman'!

It has been included on a few compilations such as Love Songs but the main reason it doesn't appear more is because it was never released as a single.

It has been included on a few compilations such as Love Songs but the main reason it doesn't appear more is because it was never released as a single.
In addition to it not being a single I’d bet it’s not seen much on comps because of royalties. It would be less money to Carpenters, which is probably why we see more RC and JB songs.

The Reprise has never been anthologized.

Because it’s segued with Road Ode. I wonder if the reprise exists in its own right on the master tape. If not, it would mean an awkward sudden fade in for any compilation because the overlap is too blurred.

Having said that, we heard it in all its glory at the end of The Karen Carpenter Story, but was that the result of a clever remix of the original vocals by Richard and a fade in to the original song or does a clean, cold intro of the original reprise from the master tape exist? Who knows.

Last edited:
The reprise is actually just a remix from the A Song For You [song] master. It was created as a 2-channel stereo master mix and catalogued as such, which was crossfaded over the top of the final harp gliss heard on Road Ode during mastering.

I can't imagine why the Reprise would ever be anthologized, unless they were including the full threesome of Crystal Lullaby, Road Ode and the Reprise - which is one of the best sets of non-hit songs in pop history, IMHO.

I can't imagine why the Reprise would ever be anthologized, unless they were including the full threesome of Crystal Lullaby, Road Ode and the Reprise - which is one of the best sets of non-hit songs in pop history, IMHO.

I’d love to see all three anthologised together with their original segues but in remixed format. The remixes of Crystal Lullaby and Road Ode are outstanding.

I agree wholeheartedly! "Crystal Lullaby" and "Road Ode" are in my Top 5 favorite album cuts of their entire catalog.

Crystal Lullaby is a masterpiece of song arrangement. Karen's share of the lead vocal is as good as anything she's done. Their harmonies really stand out. That wind chime segue into Rode Ode is brilliant!

Back
Top Bottom