A Sweet Carpenters Christmas Discovery

I think I wrote about that congratulatory Billboard tribute sometime back. It was done in conjunction with the release of Singles 1969-1973. It’s all from industry friends and labels, management etc. It’s one of the many Billboard magazines I found in my bosses office in Beverly Hills on a day in Los Angeles that we went to our one stop(music supplier) for a meeting. I took every copy that had a Carpenters or Elton John ad. I about lost it when I stumbled across this issue. A real treasure of a find for sure. Great pictures and accolades from many of their peers of that time. This was around 1980 or so. He never threw out any of the old Billboards that came there. We had a subscription, but I didn’t start working at the record shop until October 1977. The office was 110 miles away from the store. He apparently had 2 subscriptions at the time. One for his CPA office in BH, and one for the store that he opened here in November 1973.

Tower Records and a local independent bookstore carried Billboard, I went in and read it weekly once I discovered it,

Almost every employee that left the music store, swore they would subscribe to it because of how great it was. I would hand them the subscription coupon from inside, and then they had second thoughts. It was about $300/ yr., maybe more. An expense most couldn’t afford. I really miss it though.

Yeah, Billboard used to be great. Now it just seems to be another fan publication for teen you tube stars. (Boy, I sound old!)

There were always copies of BILLBOARD™ magazine around in the radio station. First they went to the program directors (we had two stations for most of the time I worked there), then they found their way to the DJ's in the studio, and then they ended up in a public area where DJ's put their stuff and got their mail, called the jock lounge. So by the time I'd get to see the magazine, it was already at least a week or so old. But that didn't matter as I wasn't perusing it for timely chart info, but was more interested in looking at the ads. Most of my time in radio was well past the Carpenters' prime, so seeing ads for them would have been a rare occurrence. Ads that I saw for A&M would have more likely been 80s acts.

It's always fun getting into your blog Mark, I spent some time reading your review of "Karen Carpenter" this morning. You are spot-on; especially about that atrocious album cover (they took a beautiful photo of Karen and just crapped all over it). I still think you should do a definitive book about the history of Disneyland.

Back
Top Bottom