Acapulco 1922

TallPaulInKy

I recently picked up a used stereo copy of the Bill Justis album, "12 Smash Instrumental Hits" in my effort to obtain all of Bill Justis Lps. He did a series of instrumental albums that were basically his arrangements of current hits. This particular album contains the song Acapulco 1922. I am wondering if anyone else recorded the song?

Captain Bacardi

Obviously, the Baja Marimba Band did it. There was also an album by Laurindo Almeida and the Bossa Nova All-Stars (or something like that) who also recorded the song.

Capt. Bacardi

Rudy

ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ
Staff member
Site Admin
Captain Bacardi said:
Obviously, the Baja Marimba Band did it. There was also an album by Laurindo Almeida and the Bossa Nova All-Stars (or something like that) who also recorded the song.
That's the correct group--the albums is Olé Bossa Nova, Capitol T/ST-1872, second in a series of three albums with the same group of west coast musicians.

Shane

I'm sure a lot of the uber-fans on this board know about a song by Dore Alpert called "Little Lost Lover". It came out on the RCA Victor label in 1962. It has the same chords, a similar melody line, and Herb even busts his trumpet out in the fade. The youtube clip, listed below, cuts the end off a little sooner than the original 45.

It's funny, I pulled the 45 out of one of my boxes tonight, listened to it, and was immediately reminded of this thread... I think I had pretty much ignored the record when I first picked it up a few years ago. The writer of this tune is shown as Ray Stanley on the original 45. The writer of Acapulco 1922 is shown as Eldon Allan.

Bobberman

That's the correct group--the albums is Olé Bossa Nova, Capitol T/ST-1872, second in a series of three albums with the same group of west coast musicians.
I own a CD two fer with The first two of the three albums it was an import CD but it sounded great it also had a few bonus tracks that Almeida did with Bud Shank very well done

Top Bottom