1. A&M Corner can now be found on Instagram! Follow us on our new account at @a.m.corner .
    You may also follow us on Twitter: @amcorner.
  2. The new Herb Alpert remasters are now available for download from Amazon and iTunes, and high-res versions are available from Acoustic Sounds and HDTracks. Some of these albums are seeing their first-ever release digitally. Check them out today!
  1. TallPaulInKy

TallPaulInKy Member Thread Starter

I recently picked up a used stereo copy of the Bill Justis album, "12 Smash Instrumental Hits" in my effort to obtain all of Bill Justis Lps. He did a series of instrumental albums that were basically his arrangements of current hits. This particular album contains the song Acapulco 1922. I am wondering if anyone else recorded the song?

Steven J. Gross likes this.
  2. Captain Bacardi

Captain Bacardi Well-Known Member Moderator

Obviously, the Baja Marimba Band did it. There was also an album by Laurindo Almeida and the Bossa Nova All-Stars (or something like that) who also recorded the song.

Capt. Bacardi

3. Rudy

Rudy ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ Site Admin

US
    That's the correct group--the albums is Olé Bossa Nova, Capitol T/ST-1872, second in a series of three albums with the same group of west coast musicians.

http://almeida.52ndstreet.com/

Bobberman and Steven J. Gross like this.
  4. It also appeared on the Five-LP Reader's Digest set

Tijuana: Fun with the Mexican Brass.

Phil

5. nacog

nacog New Member

Kenny ball, of Midnight in Moscow fame, recorded it too.

6. I just stumbled on a singer named Kathy Kirby who did a vocal version of "Acapulco 1922".

7. Shane

Shane Member

I'm sure a lot of the uber-fans on this board know about a song by Dore Alpert called "Little Lost Lover". It came out on the RCA Victor label in 1962. It has the same chords, a similar melody line, and Herb even busts his trumpet out in the fade. The youtube clip, listed below, cuts the end off a little sooner than the original 45.

It's funny, I pulled the 45 out of one of my boxes tonight, listened to it, and was immediately reminded of this thread... I think I had pretty much ignored the record when I first picked it up a few years ago. The writer of this tune is shown as Ray Stanley on the original 45. The writer of Acapulco 1922 is shown as Eldon Allan.

8. Steven J. Gross

Steven J. Gross Well-Known Member

Good stuff!