After Midnight

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cortnee

After Midnight has always been my favorite English song from Pais Tropical. Who played bass on the track, Tiao Neto or Carl Radle?Who played drums, Claudio Slon or Jim Keltner? An interesting note about Carl Radle, is that he frequently played with Eric Clapton, "the guy" who popularized After Midnight in 1970.Carl Radle has also cowrote Never Ending Song Of Love with Delaney & Bonnie.Does anybody remember that GREAT SONG?

Cortnee said:
After Midnight has always been my favorite English song from Pais Tropical. Who played bass on the track, Tiao Neto or Carl Radle?Who played drums, Claudio Slon or Jim Keltner? An interesting note about Carl Radle, is that he frequently played with Eric Clapton, "the guy" who popularized After Midnight in 1970.Carl Radle has also cowrote Never Ending Song Of Love with Delaney & Bonnie.Does anybody remember that GREAT SONG?

I remember that song very well...and wasn't Bonnie Bramlett the other waitress at Rodbells' on Roseanne?

Dan

I would expect these guys--Carl Radle (bass), Jimmy Keltner (drums), and Tom Scott (sax)--have played on tracks like "Asa Branca", (That's Jimmy's "Hal Blaine-like" drumming, there, and Tom Scott slides in a sly, swinging saxophone...) and of course, they also seem to appear on "After Midnight", as well... (Carl Radle played bass on the Eric Clapton original--and on the basis of THAT and a few "guest spots" with Mark Benno & Rita Coolidge, not to mention the other myriad Clapton albums he played on...

I don't know how "THIS Outside Help" fell in with Sergio & Company on the Pais Tropical sessions, but at least on those two tracks, I'm sure they have played there; Tom's saxophone is easily identiifiable, and I would guess the Jim Keltner-Carl Radle bass & drum-team are there, too...

Dave

I would expect those outside guys to play on the English-language "pop" tracks like AM and also possibly "Gone Forever" and "So Many People," which is the same process Sergio used with the outside band on "Righteous Life" from STILLNESS. Maybe he felt that this would give him a "sound" that would be more acceptable for radio. (?)

Cortnee said:
After Midnight has always been my favorite English song from Pais Tropical. Who played bass on the track, Tiao Neto or Carl Radle?

Dear Cortnee,

It must be Carl Radle on the bass,
I saw in a publication about Carl Radle that he was during the seventies for a short while a touring member with Brasil 77.

Carl Radle died at th 30th. of May 1980 due too a kindney disease at the young age of 38 years.

All the best
Aqua do Brasil

f3761.jpg

So, does anyone know what the deal is with "The Mendes/Graham Association" with logo on the single? It's not on the PAIS TROPICAL album anywhere that I can see. This single is also edited down from the near 4-minute length of the album track.

Harry

OK, that's pretty fascinating and mystifying at the same time.....as far as I know, an Angelo album never came out but Sergio obviously recorded his song "Hey Look At The Sun" on LOVE MUSIC......did this company last? Who IS Don Graham anyway.....

I've been looking for years for the Angelo album but have never found it. I have the 45 of the Sergio produced version of Angelo doing "Hey Look at the Sun." A multi-reed player I gig with quite often was a buddy of Angelo's in L.A. and spoke quite highly of him.

P.S. There's quite a bit of (often fascinating and occasionally salacious) information about Graham in Jerry Burgan's memoir about We Five, "Wounds to Bind". Graham was evidently a marketing guy at Warner who came over to A&M at some point. He helped guide a bunch of the early folk acts like The Kingston Trio and We Five.

I decided to take the bait and found the Clare single Saunders Ferry Lane that was referenced in the Billboard article I linked to. It's an agreeable enough folksy ballad that I'd categorize in the same Southern Gothic tradition of "Ode to Billie Jo" or even "The Night the Lights Went Out in Georgia." Funnily, considering the Sergio connection, the first two words of the lyric are "It's 66" (with regard to the weather in this case). Couldn't find this version on YouTube, but here's the tune by Sammi Smith:

Did a bit more digging--it turns out "Clare" is Clare Torry of Dark Side of the Moon fame:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clare_Torry

Also, the single was produced by Brad Miller of MFSL, and he released this single as an early MF 7"! I didn't even know they released 45s. Looks like there's one available for $11.00 on eBay:

The single got a rave write-up in Billboard and it looks like it charted in Texas (LOL). Haven't checked Whitburn yet.

Edit: none of the usual suspect Whitburn volumes list it, but I don't have any of the Country books, so maybe it charted there. I guess eBay links aren't allowed here. :)

Last edited:
Concerning Clare Torry, I think that I was the one who did the research and discovered who "Clare" actually was and updated wiki. I've had an A&M promo 45 of "Sauders Ferry Lane", #1299-S, since the early-70's, which has the introduction promotional letter from Mendes/Graham and A&M. I also had the Mobile Fidelity 45, MFP-1, which is indeed the first record released by Brad Miller on his own Mobile Fidelity Productions record label. I've got the store-stock version, "Saunders Ferry Lane"/"Early Morning", which I received at the same time(or in the same radio station record pile) as the A&M promo copy. A few years ago I found an MFP promo copy, stereo/mono like the A&M promo. Brad Miller is listed as producer on all the records. I also updated the Mobile Fidelity page at wiki. It's too bad that Clare never sounded this good on her other recordings. On those, she sounds like a beached whale or a wolf howling at the moon. Fortunately, all the 45's I have are pressed on vinyl. The A&M 45 was pressed by Monarch Records, as usual, but they used their sub-standard vinyl rather than the normal polystyrene.
A&M mostly used Monarch Records to press their records and was well-known for their cut-rate jobs using sub-standard materials. From a personal friend of mine who worked at A&M Records, he told me that Herb Alpert was a tight-wad cheapskate. Everything was too expensive for Herb. My friend also made some ethnic remarks about Alpert and Moss, but I'll leave those to your imagination. For some reason, many of the Carpenters records, at least promotionally, were pressed in higher grade vinyl by Columbia,Santa Maria(S1) and Columbia, Terra Haute(T1). As a perfectionist, Richard Carpenter probably realized what was going on and demanded the best.
Dan S.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom