Airplay for Artie Butler

Status
Not open for further replies.

seashorepiano

Just out of curiosity, does anyone here know how much airplay Artie Butler's album "Have You Met Miss Jones?" got? I know a lot of the tunes on the album were handy standards back then in 1968, but I'm curious also if anyone has any memories, other than that already listed in the forum posts about the album, that they'd like to share. Anyone here ever seen Artie Butler live?

Artie Butler toured with Neil Sedaka...that's about all I know...as far as him performing "Live" goes...

Yes, Butler's Have You Met Miss Jones really is a nice album! A sort of "Pop" music outing, among the usual Jazz A&M/CTi is notable for.

Dave

Butler's album came out during an interesting period in radio history. The FCC was forcing stations that simulcast their AM signals on FM sister stations to gradually broadcast two sperate signals. In the Philly area,WIP/AM,then owned by MetroMedia,was trying to turn their FM staion into a stereo version of WIP's MOR format. WIP/FM became stereo WMMR(MetroMediaRadio,get it?)and played a considerable amount of instrumentals,I suppose to go up against the "beautiful music" stations on the FM band which were really the only FM stations in the area that had an audience,probably due to so much exposure in doctor's offices. Anyway,the single from Butler's album,"Max's Brazilian What?" got considerable airplay during this experiment and the DJ doing the taped intro relished announcing the goofy title. Unfortunately,the numbers weren't there for this kind of format and WMMR put a live DJ on after 9PM named (Dave)Herman to play what eventually became known as "underground radio"(Beatles album cuts,Cream,Dr. John,etc.) and "Max's Brazilian What?" became just that. Mac

A&M SP 3007 is suprisingly still a "One-Shot" by Artie... Well, in addition to hearing it at your local Dentist or in any Elevator, it seems appropriate for it to be played at your local Gardening Greenhouse/Nursery or Grocery Store, too!

I enjoy this disc and just wonder what and how much radio-play it got then, too! Very outgoing and "escapist" piece o' work! :agree:

Dave

The only other Butler album I own is CLASSIC BROADWAY by Artie's Hollywood Rainbow Pops, released by K-Tel in 1995. Mostly smooth instrumentals with some guest vocals by Michael Dees and Julia Budd.
Didn't know it existed until it popped up on Ebay, which is how I obtained the CD.
JB

Wow! I just found a SEALED copy of this interesting little album for three bucks! Seems like some vermin enjoyed the corners a bit-just exchanged my previous cover with the new vinyl-mmm. The joy of opening up a near 40 year old A&M/CTI gatefold album. Also surprising that this was recorded at Rudy Van Gelder's Englewood Cliffs studio. Even with the other Creed Taylor large scale productions(some tracks have up to 30 musicians) both on A&M and Verve,I can usually tell when its from Rudy's place-this one is always surprising. Herbie Hancock as a side musician on one of these pop/jazz albums is also surprising. Some of the coolest lounge material ever recorded. Mac

I could'a bought a New copy of this, too--that I saw for probably more, at a Record Show!

Yes, a Nice, Escapist Piece O' Work! :agree:

Dave

I got a great copy of this- the gatefold is stable, intact, and without any blemishes save for some of that lamination crackling and falling off. The record is in excellent condition- almost no pops or crackling, and very little sign of any spindle wear. A really great deal from the local Boston record shop! :thumbsup:

It's very much a surprise to see that Herbie Hancock was a sideman on this album, considering what he'd do in the '70s especially. The Van Gelder sound is definitely present; there's a haunting echo in the background of the brass instruments and the special percussion. Very tight set!

Not too long after this album, Artie went on to becoming one of the best arrangers in the L.A. Music Scene, as well! And other A&M/CTi albums he made his mark on were Richard Barbary's Soul Machine and Tamiko Jones's I'll Be Anything For You...

Dave

...enjoying "RTIE BUTLER", as it says on my copy's spine; the "A" is missing! :rant: :laugh:

As I pull out the gatefold and look inside, relishing opening the 40-year-old jackets like Mac does, I see the personnel listing for Artie on Soul Machine:

Arranged and conducted "Teach Me," "What's Your Name?", "Nature Boy," "Please Stay." Pretty good album, impeccable condition! Yet another ebay success!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom