⭐ Official Review [Album]: "A KIND OF HUSH" (SP-4581)

HOW WOULD YOU RATE THIS ALBUM?

• ***** (BEST)

Votes: 7 8.1%

Votes: 20 23.3%

Votes: 46 53.5%

Votes: 12 14.0%

Votes: 1 1.2%

• Total voters
I thought Richard and Karen produced with Jack from 1973 onward and only earlier songs released in later years had his name included. If I’m not mistaken, Yesterday Once More was without Jack in the credits. Now and Then has only Karen and Richard on production credits.

Hush has sone nice music but the album was not strong using their own philosophy of the next one has to be better, despite the feeling that as die hard fans it is a favorite. And with their world tours they had the perfect platform to launch new music, but they were tired as stated in Richard’s own words years later citing heath factors, as well. Thank God their love for recording gave us the Christmas Offerings. Richard even stated their focus should have been on recording and not as many tours. If they had had Weintraub manage them just a few years earlier things may have been different, but we don’t have facts to support it for it did not happen.

Celebrities have agents and spokespeople to protect against misunderstandings. Just the fact that they allowed interviews showed they cared and tried to be as genuine as possible.

We lost Karen as our favorite singer but Richard lost his sister and his family never knew her and this fact is felt daily in his family. We can protect her image by sticking to facts so this forum is an example to the others. Karen valued Richard. And, Richard valued Karen. I believe he wanted to create the perfect sound for her as she tried to give perfection not just for herself, but out of her love for Richard, as we learned in Randy’s book.

We have read that people who met them and worked with them were amazed at their talent and work ethic. I wish I could have been there but instead, we have records and videos. I wish I could listen to something tonight I have not yet heard, but I can relisten to songs with another ear, so to speak.

Plus, by sticking to the facts, we keep from embarrassing ourselves in later years when we learn different and find ourselves feeling guilt for not stating things accurately. Plus, by sticking to the facts, we have people like Chris May and Harry who can comfortably share and participate while providing nuggets for us.

I sometimes feel frustrated that we don’t have all the answers, all the songs, and that we can’t rewrtie history and have even wanted to blame people and situations for the loss we all feel, and feelings can hurt, but facts can help direct misplaced emotions and protect ourselves and the people we care for, and most importantly the integrity of this board and the people of fame who participate and in turn, we all add something of value for posterity.

I wish I could remember exactly what Mike Curb once said about Carpenters. Mike Curb, who can be considered the best in the Business said that they competed in the playing field and worked hard with commitment to their craft and deserve recognition, or something similar. I am sure he could write many books. I think I’ll research to see if he has!

Craig
Meant to type...without Jack from 1973 onwards. Jack stopped at A Song For You in 1972. In later years he was listed only when referring back to the older songs.

Meant to type...without Jack from 1973 onwards. Jack stopped at A Song For You in 1972. In later years he was listed only when referring back to the older songs.
I believe he still got credited on the 74 “Santa Claus” 45 (and “An Old-Fashioned Christmas” in 84).

I believe he still got credited on the 74 “Santa Claus” 45 (and “An Old-Fashioned Christmas” in 84).

That will be because the song began its life in 1972 when he was still in the role of Carpenters producer. They recorded the backing track that year and returned to it later to complete it.

Plus I think Daugherty was also credited on “Sing”.

Nope.
R-9108254-1474912077-1269.jpeg.jpg

Listening to HUSH is a delight. A fine offering to the catalog. Timing wise tho perhaps an edgier studio sound. Commercially speaking.
Resident armchair critics aside, this is still an extraordinary production.
It's so full of "guilty pleasures" for me.

I found this Billboard review interesting, as I had not read (in Billboard)
of production accolades since the Song For You LP review mentioning
"Daugherty's superb production."

Page 65, Billboard Magazine, July 4th, 1976.....
"CARPENTERS -A Kind Of Hush, A & M SP 4581.
Exceptionally pretty album, with even more emphasis on
Karen Carpenter's versatile, excellent vocals than in past efforts.
Soft, easy ballads filled with the lush production of Richard Carpenter dominate the set,
though the material alternates from the straight ballad form to easy rock to
almost vaudevillian material to supper club, piano bar styled music.
Keyboards handled well by Richard, who has always taken somewhat of a backseat when
it comes to performing but does as good a job of production as anyone in the business.
Most impressive and noticeable change is the different arrangements and styles tackled
by Karen. Good sax throughout from Bob Messenger.
Several good originals from Richard and John Bettis.
Best cuts: "There's A Kind Of Hush," "You," "Goofus,"
"I Need To Be In Love," "Boat To Sail," "I Have You."
Dealers: One of the true legitimate super acts."

Spinning the LP this morning.....
Are there any other Carpenters LP's whose "inner" spindle has a nice design---
instead of a single color against an A&M Logo ? (That is, the LP's 'back-cover' design
almost replicated on the vinyl's center). Nice touch, I think.
Also, I still....after all these years....get a kick from hearing Goofus.
One More Time.....remains a favorite. Simple, yet emotionally evocative.

Spinning the LP this morning.....
Are there any other Carpenters LP's whose "inner" spindle has a nice design---
instead of a single color against an A&M Logo ? (That is, the LP's 'back-cover' design
almost replicated on the vinyl's center). Nice touch, I think.
Also, I still....after all these years....get a kick from hearing Goofus.
One More Time.....remains a favorite. Simple, yet emotionally evocative.
I believe "Passage" was the only other studio album with a "custom" label.

(BTW, I've always felt "A Kind Of Hush" was especially enjoyable to listen to on clean vinyl.)

Last edited:
I loved Passage for it gave us a glimpse of every style of music from jazz to classical to country and modern pop with orchestration not heard on pop albums. Karen ssng each style with detail and grace that highlighted her vocal ability to sing it all. Her tone and timbre still intact with range and style that shined as her signature. In the studio were musicians still celebrated today. It is a great album.

A Kind Of Hush had a few gems with Boat to Sail, You, and One More Time. The others just needed a little arrangement boost but Karen sang with the style that made her famous on every song,

Sorry, I may be a little off topic. But as a new member (first post) I ask you forbearance. As far as my rating of “a kind of a hush” I will rate it as perfect, five stars, a ten.

I’ve been staring at the disc on my desk for several weeks, not quite able to too open it.

I’m a new Carpenters fan. Bought my first album a year ago, May of 2017. Compilation, Carpenter Gold. As Richard says in the notes “count em forty songs”. I was astounded that I liked all the tunes. Never had that experience before. Which left me saying to myself, how did I miss this?

So I embarked on a year journey of discovery, that, I consider a gift. A gift year. Something for a 68 years old that is becoming rare.

Married 1970, work full time, college, National Guard, 5 children. The seventies were a blur, but some of the best times as well. That’s how I missed it.

Don’t get me wrong, I didn’t live in a hut in the mountains. I was aware of CTY & OJB. I even remember KC passing, and thinking how strange and sad for someone so young. And what is Anorexia Nervosas?

Over the last year I purchased all the Carpenters studio albums, one at a time. In order to savor each one, not chronologically. “A kind of a hush is the last”.

So my gift year will be over. I will no longer be a new fan. Just fan that never went to a concert, doesn’t have a personal picture, no memories of the anticipation of waiting for the release of a new album … What’s left are blurry utube images.

But a gift is a gift. I feel extremely lucky that I watched a snippet of OPB program that piqued my interest enough to order some gold. And thank God for utube. Blurry is better than nothing.

Perhaps a gift year can turn into to gift decade.

This letter is not meant to be a criticism of those fans who rate tunes. At some point I will do the same, just not now. It’s just where I’m at now.

Sorry, I may be a little off topic. But as a new member (first post) I ask you forbearance. As far as my rating of “a kind of a hush” I will rate it as perfect, five stars, a ten....

Welcome to the Corner, Malu! It's quite interesting to read of your experience and how the Carpenters eventually fit in. So thrilled that you have enjoyed the "gift" of Carpenters music in this past year. One thing about your post that caught my eye was your consideration of A Kind of Hush CD as "perfect." I wholeheartedly agree. It's always been my favorite, along with Horizon. I hope you enjoy the Corner as well!

So, I've been spinning the Hush album, lately.
Really, I am more convinced than ever that it gets a bad rap for no really good reason.
True, a few too many oldies on this album. True, a bit on the softer side--not enough 'beef.'
But, if looked at from that perspective, that is, a re-creation of 'oldies',
it all goes down a bit easier.
Quite frankly, there are two songs that are sort of duds for me:
Sandy and I can't Smile Without You---if ICSWY had been the beefed up version,
then I'd narrow it down to only Sandy (the weak-link to my ears).

But, I still get a kick out of the Hush single, and Goofus !
I Need To Be In Love --a beautiful song.
I love the 'you' songs: I Have You and You.
One More Time is haunting.
Boat To Sail, not a bad tune.
I'm even (sort of) getting into Breaking Up Is Hard To Do....

^^ One More Time is just an awesome Karen vocal. Richard's treatment on the arrangement was just right. I agree, very haunting. I have searched on the internet for any reaction that songwriter Lewis Anderson might of had with Karen's reading of his song, but haven't found anything. I'm sure he couldn't be anything but pleased...

A little more detail:
Tony Peluso is credited for Guitar work on all, but two songs ( CSWY & One More Time).
(His performance on "You" is a stand-out for me, even if subdued).
Jim Gordon is credited for drums on all, but two songs (Googus & Sandy: these, Cubby O'Brien).
Gayle Levant is harpist on all, save three (One More Time, Goofus & Boat To Sail).
Tenor Sax, Bob Messenger, on only two songs: Goofus & Breaking Up Is Hard To Do.
(Goofus: enter Wes Jacobs on Tuba---a great addition).

About Sandy--Gayle Levant is joined by another harpist--Dorothy Remsen.
Remembering Dorothy Remsen | American Harp Society
I'll have to listen more closely.

Who is playing the castanets ? (Hush).

A Kind Of Hush LP Review
Stereo Review Oct 1976

iog7lK6.png

One More Time, m-u-s-h? I Need To Be In Love, m-u-s-h?, You, m-u-s-h?, I Have You, m-u-s-h? I really don't think any of these "reviewers" ever bothered to listen to the album. Notice how he takes a glancing blow at "their fans". Just shows you what the duo were up against back in the day.

This Is one of my favorite albums of their entire discography “Hush” a sound no other album had. Very dreamy with not one bad track. I always loved Goofus as a kid and was my first 45 as a kid I played it to death when i was 7 back in 1997. You is my favorite song on the album, and is on my top 15. This is my 6th favorite album.

Most might not know this but “I Have You” was a single in mexico along with “Breaking Up Is Hard To Do” in Japan.

Back
Top Bottom