1. The new Carpenters recording with the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra is now available for preorder! Use this link to preorder, and help us out at the same time. Thank you!

Official Review [Album]: "A KIND OF HUSH" (SP-4581)

Discussion in 'A Song For You: The Carpenters Forum' started by Chris May, Jul 1, 2013.

HOW WOULD YOU RATE THIS ALBUM?

1. ***** (BEST)

5 vote(s)
    7.2%
  2. ****

15 vote(s)
    21.7%
  3. ***

40 vote(s)
    58.0%
  4. **

8 vote(s)
    11.6%
  5. *

1 vote(s)
    1.4%
  1. GDB2LV

GDB2LV Active Member

I like the backing vocals better than the lead. Interesting to hear other artists recordings of songs they made.
    Thx.

2. GaryAlan

GaryAlan Well-Known Member

One of the highlights of being a member of this Forum is how it opens my ears, eyes and mind,
    to the Carpenters' recordings. For instance, I believe that I have listened to the entire
    Kind of Hush album more this week than I have in years past.
    In fact, when I do listen to Karen and Richard , these days, I listen to ENTIRE albums,
    all in one sitting. And, I do so with autonomy--that is, I try to ignore what came before and what came after.
    If all I did was compare Hush to Horizon, I would miss much of what is meaningful on the 1976 venture.
    If all I did was compare Passage to Hush, I would --again--miss the positives for the 1976 venture.
    But, taking Hush LP for what it is, time-period in which it was recorded, circumstances surrounding the recording,
    the changes taking place in the duo's career and lives....
    I have to re-assess the entirety, and say it is a pleasant listen.
    The diamonds are there (One More Time), diversity is there (Goofus),
    and, I am growing more fond of Sandy. Then again,
    I am growing more fond of Man Smart, Woman Smarter...but, that's another album.

3. Mark-T

Mark-T Well-Known Member

Someone was asking me what I thought of the Hush album, and I brought up this very point. :)

4. GaryAlan

On Hush LP , I like Can't Smile Without You. I especially like the duo's alternative version.
    I recall NOT liking Manilow's release as much, and it became a well-known hit of 1978.
    Even more interesting, Wham was sued mid-80's for lifting/ripping the melody for their song
    Last Christmas (settled out-of-court).

So, let's face it:
    The song is a hit.
    The Carpenters' were not wrong about the song.
    Another positive spin for LP
    Kind of Hush !

5. Jarred

Jarred Active Member

Wow I never knew this. But it's really a stretch - so many melodies can sound vaguely alike (how can they not with so many songs?) and this wasn't even close to lifting to my ears.

6. Rumbahbah

Rumbahbah Well-Known Member

Never knew about the 'Last Christmas' litigation. I can see a very vague resemblance but it doesn't sound like a clear case of plagiariam like 'My Sweet Lord' was borrowing from 'He's So Fine'.

They weren't wrong about 'Can't Smile Without You' but the version on the album is a bit flat-sounding, so in that sense they didn't get it right first time on this one. Had the improved revised version from the 'Calling Occupants' single featured on the album, it might have been a more credible contender for a single, and thus have improved the album as well.

7. GaryAlan

"I Can't Smile Without You"
    I had to re-listen to Manilow's version. I must say, I find his version most unimpressive.
    In fact, perusing Billboard Magazine I was surprised to find how popular his song was !
    I won't deny Carpenters' original LP version is not as impressive as their 'improved' version,
    but, for all the 'talk' about how Richard Carpenter (apparently) failed to find 'hit material'
    in the later part of their career--well, this song shows that Richard was still able to discern
    an excellent song.
    Allowing for its apparent faults, I still believe the ALBUM,
    A Kind of Hush....is much better than it is generally given credit for.

Harry likes this.
  8. Carpe diem

Carpe diem Well-Known Member

I listen to "Hush" more than to "A Song For You" or "Horizon". So many little gems on it. I'm having great appreciation lately for the song You. Exquisite Karen vocal, but the goosebump producing moments on that track come from the excellent background harmonies...

9. For me also, "You" provoked great emotion.

goodjeans, GDB2LV and Carpe diem like this.
  10. GDB2LV

GDB2LV Active Member

Like I posted before, I think “”You” is the best song on the album except the radio friendly”There’s A Kind if Hush” that’s why it made the Evergreens collection in Japan. A huge fan favorite. Great harmonies and emotion in that track. Glad to see so many others love it too.

goodjeans and Carpe diem like this.
  11. Harry

Harry Charter A&M Corner Member Moderator

Interesting that you've used the name EVERGREENS in several recent posts. As I recall, that Japanese compilation was rumored forever to be coming and it was to be called EVERGREENS, but when it finally got close to reality, it was changed to BY REQUEST.

carpbyrequest.jpg

GDB2LV likes this.
  12. GDB2LV

GDB2LV Active Member

You’re right, they changed the name to “By Request “ thank you for the correction.

13. Rick-An Ordinary Fool

Rick-An Ordinary Fool Honolulu City Lights

FL
    Where did they get the name Evergreens?

Didn’t someone also on this forum get there submitted song included and name inside the booklet?

14. Harry

Good memory! Yes, it was a fellow named Bennett Turk who was a member of Ran's old board. If my memory serves, he was from the Philippines or some other Pacific Rim area.

15. Harry

The name Evergreens comes from the fact that evergreen trees are green year around. In northern climes, the sight of green on the trees is a sort of promise of spring. In terms of music, an evergreen is a song that holds its popularity forever.

GDB2LV likes this.
  16. GDB2LV

GDB2LV Active Member

I forgot they changed the name closer to release date. It was originally going to be called Evergreens. It got delayed for a long time before being released in Japan. The Paul Williams one is called Evergreens though.
    Thanks for the info and correction.