1. The new Carpenters recording with the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra is now available for preorder! Use this link to preorder, and help us out at the same time. Thank you!

Official Review [Album]: "A KIND OF HUSH" (SP-4581)

Discussion in 'A Song For You: The Carpenters Forum' started by Chris May, Jul 1, 2013.

HOW WOULD YOU RATE THIS ALBUM?

1. ***** (BEST)

5 vote(s)
    7.6%
  2. ****

14 vote(s)
    21.2%
  3. ***

38 vote(s)
    57.6%
  4. **

8 vote(s)
    12.1%
  5. *

1 vote(s)
    1.5%
  1. Passenger

Passenger Active Member

Chris,
    My copy is actually in a storage box with high school yearbooks, concert programs, etc. from the 70's....and still at my parent's home. Also in that box are clippings of Billboard's reviews of singles and albums that I could find during that time.....the same ones you've been posting here at the forum over the past few weeks. How great to see them again, and thanks for finding earlier ones I'd never seen!

Harry,
    Since you've recently added the Billboard promo ads, would it be possible to also include the reviews with their corresponding singles and albums on the Complete Recording Resource site?

2. Rick-An Ordinary Fool

Rick-An Ordinary Fool Well-Known Member

FL
    Here are some cleaner copies of promo ad for the album A Kind Of Hush and the single, I Need To Be In Love....in addition the single and album review by Billboard.

[​IMG]

Banner Ad
    [​IMG]
    This is the Back Cover
    [​IMG]

I really like this one below :love:

[​IMG]

Jamesj75 likes this.
  3. Rick-An Ordinary Fool

FL
    Album and Single Review

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Jamesj75 and GaryAlan like this.
  4. Harry

Harry Charter A&M Corner Member Moderator

Where, o where, is the big promotional blitz for "Goofus?"

5. Jeff

Jeff Well-Known Member

Recently stated at TICKET and worked thru HORIZON with glee and retrospect. Came to HUSH n not so much. Then PASSAGE hmmm. Perked up at hints of MIA and then relished in VOTH, LOVELINES and ATGBY.
    Don't know why exactly but save CHRISTMAS PORTRAIT I felt a lull. The extreme delay at 3 year absence cept for Karen solo mmmhmmm was agonizing thought I'd heard the last. Where HUSH has some moments for me, well several I instinctively knew there was a fall from grace. But whuda run huh?

Jeff

6. newvillefan

newvillefan Well-Known Member

That's two big nods to Richard from Billboard for his production skills (for single and album)...I wonder where his frustration over lack of recognition was born from, considering this and the fact he's down as the album's producer on every album cover from Now & Then onwards.

GaryAlan likes this.
  7. byline

byline Active Member

I think there was a big disparity between published accolades and public perception. I always felt that no matter how much information was made available, the perception among the general public was that Richard played a negligible role in their music, and Karen was the star. And I suspect that also occurred in many interviews they did, where less-prepared interviewers would want to focus all their attention on Karen, and be scratching their heads over what to ask Richard. I also seem to recall that at one point he was introduced as the Carpenters' pianist, nothing more. Things like that add up.

8. GaryAlan

GaryAlan Well-Known Member

Yes, Byline,
    here is a quote from
    Coleman Biography , page 180:
    " ...Richard had been shocked and angered when, sitting alongside Frank Zappa
    and Quincy Jones on a record industry seminar sponsored by
    Billboard magazine,
    he had been introduced as Richard Carpenter--piano player with the Carpenters."
    "He was particularly saddened by the lack of identification by people in the music industry."

byline likes this.
  9. Rick-An Ordinary Fool

FL
    Here is an alternate promo ad for A Kind Of Hush that ran in another online magazine.

[​IMG]

song4u likes this.
  10. toeknee4bz

toeknee4bz Well-Known Member

I saw this album a lot the same way. :cool: But respectfully, Barry... I have a couple of disagreements here, though nothing major:

First, regardless of the dance craze developing in the mid-late '70s, I thought "I Need To Be In Love" (I hate song titles abbreviated by single letters) was a fine choice for a single, at ANY time of the year. I mean, it was a CARPENTERS single, not a Bee Gees single. But maybe you're right in that it may have fared better in winter. I don't know. I was eight years old at the time, so I gave no thought or consideration to such matters... and I didn't really explore this album until the early '80s anyway. Funny, though, that it was successful enough to end up on most of their later compilations.

Second (and no, this isn't gonna be 'hate mail' here), I liked "Boat To Sail", even though it's not one I would play very often. "Boring"? Cuhhhmmahnnnnnn. Now, ya wanna talk "boring"? Their version of "Can't Smile Without You", as well as their version of "I Just Fall In Love Again" from PASSAGE are both what I would describe as "boring". (I'll probably get 'hate mail' for this!:wink:)

These songs aside, I couldn't have said the rest any better, and I couldn't agree more. Especially where "Goofus" is concerned (I still hate that song). "Sailing On The Tide" would've been great in it's place. Just my two cents' worth. :)

Last edited: May 5, 2015
    Jamesj75 and BarryT60 like this.
  11. BarryT60

BarryT60 Well-Known Member

No hate mail from me either! :)

Chocolate & Vanilla, my friend!

I will say - in the form of a healthy and respectful difference of opinion... that 'I Just Fall In Love Again' was and has tuned out to be one of my all-time favorites... (notice I wrote out the title?!) :wink:

Thanks and have a great day! BT

toeknee4bz likes this.
  12. BarryT60

BarryT60 Well-Known Member

Notice, they flipped the negative on the banner photo.... the hair is parted on opposite sides for both siblings...

13. Mark-T

Mark-T Well-Known Member

Just listening to this album for the second time today. Dang, it's pretty! It's soft, but it's pretty.

Jamesj75, Jeff and GaryAlan like this.
  14. song4u

song4u Well-Known Member

I remember wondering why Carpenters did the pop version of Breakin Up Is Hard To Do, and Sedaka did the ballad version. It seemed backward to me. I probably listened to You, I Need to be In Love, and Boat to Sail the most. I loved Karen's jazzy take on the latter.

Jeff and GaryAlan like this.
  15. Mark-T

Mark-T Well-Known Member

I LOVE Boat to Sail. My favorite on the entire disc.

Jeff likes this.
  16. Chris May

Chris May Resident 'Carpenterologist' Moderator Thread Starter

17. newvillefan

newvillefan Well-Known Member

I'd love to hear a KC lead vocal on Sedaka's bluesy version of Breaking Up In Hard To Do.

Mark-T likes this.
  18. Mark-T

Mark-T Well-Known Member

^^^ Me, too. I was so disappointed when I first heard the album and that they chose to record the upbeat version. Oh, what could have been!

19. GaryAlan

GaryAlan Well-Known Member

This makes for another good, purely musical, question
    (and, there are soooo many musical questions !):
    Why?
    the ballad version of
    Breaking Up Is Hard To Do
    was not attempted,
    in favor of the upbeat version recorded for the album.

20. Chris May

Chris May Resident 'Carpenterologist' Moderator Thread Starter

That's a great question - I would think she would have nailed it and done it a ton of justice! Another one of those "shoulda-woulda-couldas" I think...

21. Mark-T

Mark-T Well-Known Member

I also thought the album should begin with the slow intro of "Hush" (like the live shows) and segue (sp?) into the single version- and then end with a slow version of Breaking Up.

22. Harry

It's likely that the duo and the powers that be looked at the two possibilities of "Breaking Up Is Hard To Do" and were all still basking in the glow of "Please Mr. Postman" having topped the charts.

It's also likely that they were looking for something uptempo to conclude the album that was heavy on ballads.

Maybe Richard's current disdain for the track stems from that debate in that he might have been on the wrong side of the argument.

Just conjecture...

Harry

23. Mark-T

Mark-T Well-Known Member

Which side? Did he want the slow version and the company wanted the upbeat one? Or the other way around? Any insight?

24. Harry

As I said, just conjecture as a possible discussion point.

25. mr J.

mr J. Active Member

Every Carpenters recording was made exactly the way Richard wanted it,including "Breaking Up Is Hard To Do".

A&M gave K&R "carte blanche" in the studio from day one.Even Their debut album was tailor made to Richard's specifications-and K&R chose every track for that album.