⭐ Official Review [Album]: "A KIND OF HUSH" (SP-4581)

HOW WOULD YOU RATE THIS ALBUM?

• ***** (BEST)

Votes: 7 8.1%

Votes: 20 23.3%

Votes: 46 53.5%

Votes: 12 14.0%

Votes: 1 1.2%

• Total voters
It's likely that the duo and the powers that be looked at the two possibilities of "Breaking Up Is Hard To Do" and were all still basking in the glow of "Please Mr. Postman" having topped the charts.

It's also likely that they were looking for something uptempo to conclude the album that was heavy on ballads.

Maybe Richard's current disdain for the track stems from that debate in that he might have been on the wrong side of the argument.

Just conjecture...

Harry
Richard has a current disdain for every oldies remake that they recorded after Now & Then -He feels that they never should've been recorded(Postman,Hush,Breaking Up,Beechwood).

The only reason "Postman" gets included on so many compilations is only due to the fact that it was a #1 hit.Otherwise,that track would be relegated to the status of "Beechwood" and "Breaking Up".

40TH Anniversary Liner Notes:
Richard Carpenter,
"...I now feel I was not at my best, and am not pleased with some of the material chosen,
such as Goofus and Breaking Up Is Hard To Do."

Every Carpenters recording was made exactly the way Richard wanted it,including "Breaking Up Is Hard To Do".

A&M gave K&R "carte blanche" in the studio from day one.Even Their debut album was tailor made to Richard's specifications-and K&R chose every track for that album.

Agreed, but in the development phase, surely Richard tossed around options - even if in his own head. We all do that and he's no different from the rest of us. It's obvious that he's changed his mind over the years on some issues, so it's not like he's never deviated from a plan.

Harry

My understanding has been that Richard Carpenter would not tell Karen the songs she was to sing
until they were 'in the recording studio' : that is, Richard selected the songs.
Thus, it appears even a deviation with the Kind of Hush album, if
as pointed out by Mr. J. , "Karen and Richard chose every track for that album".
The Reader's Digest Compilation includes this:
Karen: " I like that ('Hush') song. It didn't do what we thought it would, but, I like it anyway."
Richard: "I just heard it one day as an oldie, and wanted to do it."

They DID oldies. They must have thought them a good idea at the time.

The 70s were a unique time in that oldies radio stations were springing up all over. Those old fifties and sixties songs from the first two decades of rock and roll had been ignored and sounded good to the generation that had grown up with them.

Carpenters had been doing older songs all along with Ticket To Ride and Get Together and the Bacharach Medley and Baby It's You.

Then they did a whole side of oldies on NOW AND THEN tied to Yesterday Once More.

Postman then went to number one and they obviously thought at the time that that's what their audience wanted. Hence Hush and Breaking Up and Beechwood. It wasn't until after these latter tracks flopped that Richard realized that that was not the way to go.

The fact that Richard had done the string arrangement for Sedaka's remake of Breaking Up may have been the deciding factor to do the song uptempo - just to be different.

Harry

Here is one to fall asleep to....
John Davidson's Kind of Hush,

GaryAlan... I'm smiling! Although there is something oddly charismatic about Davidson's voice, I was anxious for the song to be over. Got me thinking, however pleasant, why did Richard seek this one out in the first place? I mean - we've all said it - Karen could make the phone book sound interesting, and I guess we have this song as proof.

It didn't even rank as a minute long clip on the Now and Then album, but we get a lead single, and the name of an album from the song..

Listen - I'm proud and glad to have anything recorded from Karen and Richard - so I am not really "complaining" as it were - but it's simply not a blockbuster of a choice IMHO - particularly after Horizon is so jam packed with moving melodies and lilting arrangements.

The choice of this song - clearly may not be the reason or even a huge reason for a decline, but it can certainly - chronologically mark the beginning of the MOR downward spiral in sales and bankability of the Carpenters as a top ten pop radio act.

So far, Karen and Richard get my vote on the song ! (Oh, I really do love their version....)
If you want another laugh, Barry....try this 2010 version...
Clay Aiken doing his best (whatever that means...didn't he perform Solitaire,too ?)

Heaven help, GaryAlan....... Arrangers just won't leave this song alone!!!! :)
Who's could be next?!?
Thanks for the grins!

The only kind thing I can say about this clip of Clay Aiken performing "A King of Hush" is that he sounds a little like Johnny Mathis. As for this arrangement, what was the possible intent?!?!

And regarding Clay's performance of "Solitaire," as I noted in another thread from a while back: Neil Sedaka once said that Clay's version of "Solitaire" is the best! Give me a break!! Just the thought of this assertion makes my blood boil, and I am veering toward the precipice of keying in curse words here... Yet I will refrain from doing so... :) I know that "Solitaire" by the Carpenters isn't universally loved (even at this website), but most observers agree that Karen's performance of "Solitaire" is one of her finest, in my humble opinion, her absolute finest!

Carpenters View Count on Youtube surpasses every other artist doing the song (There's A Kind of Hush).
At last count, the most viewed version (theirs) is 1,737,773.
At last count , Herman's Hermits has a count of 1,512388.
Now, that is only the top two entries, Carpenters overall have far more as you scroll down.
(Video #1,#3,#5,#6.......).

You're right Mr. J Richard was never told "no" by Alpert and Moss, although they weren't knocked out by A Kind Of Hush.
Only Karen was told no, or strongly discouraged. Sad.

Notice, too, the Billboard Review for the 1976 Hush album (scanned above) says:
" Richard, who has always taken somewhat of a backseat to performing.."
Does not Richard perform keyboard duties on every album to that point ?
But, not a word ( in the review) regarding the absence of Karen's drumming on the album.

I must say, after listening to the sequencing of:
Sandy, A Kind of Hush, I Need To Be In Love....as presented on the Essential Collection Set,
my renewed appreciation of the Kind of Hush Album is rearing it's head !
The album certainly has its great moments.
Are those 'phase' changes happening in the beginning of the song Sandy ?
(reminiscent of 'Get Together').
Keep those synthesizers in the song There's A Kind of Hush !
Keep that longer piano intro to I Need To Be In Love !

My question on this album:
Cubby O'Brien was utilized for drums on Sandy ( and Goofus) , Jim Gordon drums otherwise.
Was there some reason for switching drummers on those two songs ?

Another question, this time
I Need To Be In Love,
Richard Carpenter says:
" Albert Hammond wrote the opening melodic line (the first two or three bars) which is terrific, and the title.
The bulk of it both lyrically and melodically belongs to Bettis and me, but it would not exist if not for that title and opening melody!"

Which two or three bars would that be? When the initial piano keys begin the song, or after the piano introduction
and the flute takes over? Or, when Karen starts singing " The hardest thing I've ever done..." ?

(NB: I realize my ignorance when it comes to music, thus, this is probably considered a stupid question!).

This was my first Carpenters vinyl purchase about ten years ago. I listened and said okay and passed on. But nowadays I listen to it a lot. I like this record. Just like 'Horizon' the quality of the recording is fantastic. However, it is a more quiet album, but not a bad one. I think the two castanet tracks are awesome and they were perfect choices to be on the record, but the rest of the material is a little bit slow..This is not a problem because there is 'You', which is among their best song and a personal favourite. The melody line and the basic musical arrangement resemble John Lennon a little bit. 'Sandy is also beautiful, very slow, a little bit sleepy. 'Goofus'. This is funny, but resembles 'Happy' for me a little bit. 'Can't Smile Without You' is also nice, I like the shadowy, haunting backing vocal of the song. The amazing ballad 'I Need To Be In Love' resembles 'Solitaire' for me, but this is my second favourite from the record. 'One More Time'...is also nice but that point I feel that there are too many ballads on the record. 'Boat To Sail'. Nice tune, nice arrangement, but could have been a little bit faster. Sadly, the moment is lost by the hand of the 'typical Carpenters ballad' cliché, which is presented here by 'I Have You'.
Overall, it is a good record, with many great songs. However, two more uptempo numers should have been needed here and it if had happened, we could have got a much better album in the high standard of 'A Song For You' and 'Horizon'.

The artwork is definately the best among all albums. It is very artistic and previews the high standard of the recorded material.

Well said Cordell, i think the album could do with a remix - perhaps to be made just a bit brighter with some smart EQ choices. I've always felt it sounded just a bit 'muddy'.
BTW, i LOVE your picture on here. I am totally obsessed with ABBA and the visitors is my second fave album of theirs - 'the album' from '77 my top fave.

Well said Cordell, i think the album could do with a remix - perhaps to be made just a bit brighter with some smart EQ choices. I've always felt it sounded just a bit 'muddy'.
BTW, i LOVE your picture on here. I am totally obsessed with ABBA and the visitors is my second fave album of theirs - 'the album' from '77 my top fave.

Dear Robert, I think the 1977 ABBA-The Album is as good as The Visitors....these are my fav ABBA records:)

This Album is my Saturday Morning listening pleasure.
Not such a bad album. Some gems. I only dislike one song. (Breaking Up).
I really love Goofus....and, wonder if the skit from 1978 Space Encounters
which features this song, hasn't tarnished the song in the 'eyes' and ears of many.
The arrangement and harmonies for Goofus are great.( I'll take it over Mr. Guder !)
And, while not an ideal single choice, it did hit a nerve overseas.
I see in Billboard 10/23/1976 it is #11 on the USA Easy Listening chart.(at 9 weeks).

For those who lived through the early days of the Carpenters and who followed their developments over the years, albums such as this one were a disappointment.
I am a fan of the Carpenters performing strong material such as the Bacharach offerings - plus the flexible creative songs like Mr Guder.
The title track "There's a Kind of Hush" was all about English music hall as evolved to Herman's Hermits and toothy Peter Noone. The Carpenters took it nowhere.

' Richard Carpenter explained in the liner notes to the Carpenters' 2004 best-of compilation, Gold, that although he and Karen Carpenter loved the song, he was not particularly pleased with how their remake turned out:
"...one of Karen's and my favorite songs from the '60s. In hindsight, however, even though our version was a hit, I wish we'd never recorded it. Here are three reasons why:
(1) The original was, and is, perfectly fine.
(2) Our foray into the oldies should have ended with the medley featured on side 2 of Now & Then, 1973.
(3) The use of a synthesizer in some of our recordings has not worn well with me, on this track, or just about any other track on which I used it." '

Add to that those irritating castenets!

A strong title track can be a signpost to great quality - "A Song for You" comes to mind.

George_b, certainly I understand your viewpoint regarding the Hush Album.
Interestingly enough, I caught on to Carpenters' only somewhere --after the Kind of Hush single was in release and before--
the Hush album was released. (I recall the Hush single on the 45-rack in K-Mart store as "hit-bound".)
Back then I absolutely loved the song...but, I confess, I had never heard the Herman's Hermits' version.
From then (about early 1976) I worked backward (Hush, Horizon followed by The Singles LP's).
Of course, I had heard Top of The World , Postman and Only Yesterday on the radio, but was too young to realize who the artists were.
(Myself singing Top of The World in 1974 school performance.)
Once I realized the name of the artists, I yearned for earlier material.
Interesting in our divergence...I perceive more creativeness in Goofus than Mr. Guder ,
I rather think of Goofus as Karen and Richard Carpenter's biographical musical (mini)synopsis ....
" ...so, I stepped out with an outfit of my own....I like rustic harmony... hold the note and change the key,
...I must admit we had a hit, Goofus has been lucky for me..."

Back
Top Bottom