⭐ Official Review [Album]: "A KIND OF HUSH" (SP-4581)

HOW WOULD YOU RATE THIS ALBUM?

• ***** (BEST)

Votes: 7 8.1%

Votes: 20 23.3%

Votes: 46 53.5%

Votes: 12 14.0%

Votes: 1 1.2%

• Total voters
Funny, byline, your feelings on Hush are almost exactly what I think about Made in America.

Richard Carpenter, Treasures,1987
:
"One More Time"...one of the more beautiful pieces I've ever heard. It caught my ear the first time I heard it performed, and
I knew it would be perfect for Karen.
I agree completely, mstaft. A Kind of Hush was my first sense that this lapse in creative energy had occurred. Then we got a brief reprieve with Passage ... and then back to this again, even more so, with Made in America. Gary, IMO "One More Time" is what saves A Kind of Hush. For me it's the gem that makes an imperfect album worthwhile.

"One More Time" definitely a 'hidden gem',
that being said, I always enjoyed the title song ! (the 45-single version, synthesizer, and all ).
I tolerate 'Sandy', but, a creative spark it is not.( I realize Richard composed the song for hairdresser/girlfriend, but.....!)
If arrangement styles are compared and contrasted, this album most closely allies with Made In America, IMHO.
I'd love to hear what drummer Jim Gordon has to say about his involvement ( if he remembers, prison and all that.).
I must say, the album baffles me.
And, Richard sensed some reticence from Herb Alpert. (Oh well,still, this one didn't get shelved--enough said.).
Page 211 Coleman,
Richard:"...it wasn't too hot a collection."

I couldn't find these Promo Ads in Billboard online but saw them already posted on the internet so they do exist, if anyone has better scans post them up.

Billboard%20A%20Kind%20Of%20Hush%20Ad.jpg~original

Another shot of the same ad
Billboard%20Ad%20A%20Kind%20Of%20Hush%20Promo.jpg~original

Billboard%20I%20Need%20To%20Be%20In%20Love%20AD.jpg~original

Thanks, Harry! I know in some ways this is dorky and subpar, but I have always liked this ad. And I love the see thru logo on the black background.

I find that ad rather classy and was eager to take up Chris' challenge of recombining it. I had to use some Photoshop skills to fill in some missing information in the middle,

I immediately noticed you filled some missing white in and it turned out excellent!!! I couldn't have done that, thanks. I like this one too Mark....hey one day we should post them all in a single thread and make it a poll, which is your favorite.

...hey one day we should post them all in a single thread and make it a poll, which is your favorite.
That's a good idea. Sometimes I don't have time to read an article you or someone has posted, so later I try to find it. But they are scattered among threads and I can't always find tbem. If they could all be compiled in one place in addition, it would be nice. They make interesting reading for Carpenters fans!

That's a good idea. Sometimes I don't have time to read an article you or someone has posted, so later I try to find it. But they are scattered among threads and I can't always find tbem. If they could all be compiled in one place in addition, it would be nice. They make interesting reading for Carpenters fans!

Exactly, that has happened to me many times...I'll see it on my phone and don't have time to get to the link and then life gets in the way and when I come back at home I can't remember where I saw it and by then it way down the list....nice to see I'm not alone in this. This is good and bad, good that we have so much activity and things are booming around here but bad that I can't keep up. :laugh:

Hello all,

Happy Easter! You know I wasn't around to "live through" their career, but I can only imagine my disappointment at having the AKOH single come out, after the great Only Yesterday and Solitaire. A few months earlier. I don't dislike the track, but a serious step down as a song, a performance, a production. Still, as least it kept them in the top 20.

Hello all,

Happy Easter! You know I wasn't around to "live through" their career, but I can only imagine my disappointment at having the AKOH single come out, after the great Only Yesterday and Solitaire. A few months earlier. I don't dislike the track, but a serious step down as a song, a performance, a production. Still, as least it kept them in the top 20.

It was more of a surprise choice of song, and compared with the earlier release by Herman's Hermits (1967), Richard's arrangement of the song was carefully crafted, it has some great guitar work and a great laid back vocal by Karen.

I remember hearing A KIND OF HUSH abt the fall of 1988 on a cassette from the library. It just had the album cover, but I loved the music. It was soothing and sweet and really showcased her voice. I think a lot of fans find the album a bit draggy, but I happen to feel it really showcased her voice, interpretation to great effect! When I did finally buy the album, I was so happy to see the album cover, and inner cover, song sheets and thought it was a wonderful experience to look and experience the LP. Not like albums nowadays which are cds. Albums just had that extra something. I really enjoyed There's A Kind of Hush and in our family, that was a fan favorite! And I remember hearing it from time to time on the radio etc. I adored ONE MORE TIME, and YOU, and I HAVE YOU, and BOAT TO SAIL (which showcased her sophisticated singing), although I detested and to this day hate GOOFUS. I loved the harmonies and sounds of SANDY as well....I remember though just staring at the album cover for hours while the record was playing......I was 16 during this time!

Cam89, very nice to read your perspective on this album.
I've been listening to the album, lately.
While it is not my favorite (largely due to the "Breaking Up" song--the cowbell like instrument banging at 1:20 to 1:35 bugs me!),
it does have its shining moments.
(Particularly in the use of Harp on the songs, love that sound.)
Karen's vocals melt into each song, creamy and warm.
(Paul Williams, "..an exquisite taste, vanilla...").
And, I still get a rush from the title track. (IMHO--Brilliant arrangement .)
Also, Saxophones put to good use throughout.
Now knowing that Ordinary Fool was recorded in the same sessions... adds fuel to the flame !
All in all, I rather enjoy listening to this album.

Regarding Ordinary Fool:
Richard Carpenter, Liner Notes From The Top....
"...One of several extra songs tracked for the A Kind of Hush album in 1976."

What else was 'tracked' at this time?
Memory eludes me on this point.

Ya what else was tracked cuz I thought OF was the only left over from sessions of 76?

Regarding Ordinary Fool:
Richard Carpenter, Liner Notes From The Top....
"...One of several extra songs tracked for the A Kind of Hush album in 1976."

What else was 'tracked' at this time?
Memory eludes me on this point.

Two songs tracked in 1976 are 'Box Office Movie King' and 'Magic In The Music', along with some of the 'novelty' songs for their First Television Special.

Thanks, Stephen!
Given Richard Carpenter's comment pertaining to
Box Office Movie King,
I simply assumed that nothing was done with it.
( Official Website : "One other song of Palma's considered was "Box Office Movie King".)

Thanks, Stephen!
Given Richard Carpenter's comment pertaining to
Box Office Movie King,
I simply assumed that nothing was done with it.
( Official Website : "One other song of Palma's considered was "Box Office Movie King".)
I emailed Pamela a while ago and she was awesome and honest. She did not rememeber this song.

Does anyone remember ever seeing this promo ad? I found this online from some vintage magazine publication, not sure what magazine it came from. It must be from Nov or Dec 1976 since it's the Carpenters first tv special and there is an advert for the new album A Kind Of Hush. A&M logos are all there so it must have been issued by ABC-TV or A&M promotions. Take notice of the bottom left corner...other Carpenters albums up to this point. Pretty cool, huh?

Carpenters%20First%20TV%20Promo%20Ad.jpg~original

Back
Top Bottom