⭐ Official Review [Album]: "A SONG FOR YOU" (SP-3511)

HOW WOULD YOU RATE THIS ALBUM?

• ***** (BEST)

Votes: 56 70.0%

Votes: 20 25.0%

Votes: 3 3.8%

Votes: 1 1.3%

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
In 1976, "Nadia's Theme" (Barry De Vorzon and Perry Botkin, Jr) was a top 10 hit in the United States. It's also known as the theme of the long-running U.S. soap opera "The Young & the Restless."

Kudos to @Harry for beating me to the punch and providing further information, picture, and video.

Remember the times when the pop chart included instrumentals?

Last edited:
More......
" Nadia's Theme: reached #8 on both the popular chart and the Adult Contemporary chart,
sold over a million copies and won a Grammy Award for Best Instrumental Arrangement. "
"A&M Records failed to credit De Vorzon as the co-writer on the first pressings of the single.
He successfully sued the record label for $241,000."

Listened to this album this morning in its entirety. Utterly amazed. They say that true "perfection" cannot be attained, but you can't come much closer than this. Hard to believe this album is 46 years old.

Last edited:
I'm kind of surprised that Universal has not done a quick release job on this album and pushed it out under the 20th Century Masters line with a brand-new cover that said 20th Century Masters: Carpenters: Volume 2 as a Greatest Hits package.

I have the 45 from Japan of Bless the Beasts... from the soundtrack. Has that version ever been on CD, other that maybe the Japanese Singles box set?

Thinking about getting the movie soundtrack also. Is it worth purchasing??

I have the 45 from Japan of Bless the Beasts... from the soundtrack. Has that version ever been on CD, other that maybe the Japanese Singles box set?
As far as I'm aware, it's only been issued on digital in Japan, and in the Singles box set. The US/Canada got the A Song For You version back in the 70's, so that was the version that was used on The Complete Singles and every other compilation album released.

I'll give them a +1 on this review...at least they included a nice photo!!

A Song For You
Stereo Review Nov 1972

GZgvttT.jpg

^^Thanks for the scanned reviews !
Again, the review above really misses the entire strengths of the album !
First and foremost: Karen's lead vocals and the background harmonies.

First, stating "Karen on drums" which tends to imply that Karen is drumming on all of these songs.
Whereas, Richard really is performing keyboards on all of these songs.
The review mentions It's Going To Take Some Time and Flat Baroque.
And, I'll be honest, were it not for IGTTST, Flat Baroque and Piano Picker, this would be my favorite album.
(But, I just do not care for those three songs).

Goodbye To Love is hardly "assembly-line" material.
The sequence on side two...
I Won't Last A Day Without You , Crystal Lullaby , Road Ode , A Song For You [Reprise]
is particularly noteworthy.

But, for the three songs I really do not care for,
I think this is a fantastic pop music album.

Listening to this superb album this morning.
Or, rather, the remastered classics cd.
I must say, the song
A Song For You,
is simply an incredibly fantastic listening experience.
Love the album.

Which songs on this album feature Bassoon: Norm Herzberg ?
So, listening to the album this morning (White Label Promo copy)....
Side One really blows me away, such a fine listening experience.
Even It's Going To Take Some Time sounds terrific on this vinyl (and, I do not even love that song !),
but....it does "fit" as an album cut worthy of attention.

Looking again at that Stereo Review review above, it kind of struck me that the writer's two favorites on the album were "Intermission" and "Flat Baroque." On an album that contains so many terrific tunes. He also says Richard's work on "Baroque" is "funny." It's basically a piano solo... it's lighthearted, but what's funny about it?

Maybe the guy either only gave the album a cursory listen with the volume down low, or is willing to ignore genuinely good work in favor of being high-falutin'.

Looking again at that Stereo Review review above, it kind of struck me that the writer's two favorites on the album were "Intermission" and "Flat Baroque." On an album that contains so many terrific tunes. He also says Richard's work on "Baroque" is "funny." It's basically a piano solo... it's lighthearted, but what's funny about it?

Maybe the guy either only gave the album a cursory listen with the volume down low, or is willing to ignore genuinely good work in favor of being high-falutin'.
I figure his hearing aid batteries were dead, so, unable to actually hear the music, he just made up some random crap in order to meet his deadline... cuff links, indeed...

Either that, or he was just an pretentious idiot.

Just a guess, but perhaps he was referring to its funny “punny” title, “Flat Baroque” (Flat Broke)?

The MFSL Disc is the version of ASFY that I think of when I think of the album. Sure I’ve got the LP, but I’ve played the CD more, and I got the CD before the LP.

I have the MFSL disc and rarely play it. I prefer the A&M CD, or the Remastered depending on mood.

I do too. I prefer the original mixes. It’s Going To Take Some Time is the exception. I like what Richard did, making it sound like a new song.

Thanks, Rick, for the scan of the Stereophile Review of the MFSL
A Song For You
cd.
That review is spot on !
I played that cd, in its entirety, once.
I have never played it again.
I do not like it.

I do too. I prefer the original mixes. It’s Going To Take Some Time is the exception. I like what Richard did, making it sound like a new song.
To me, it sounded like the same old song, now done incorrectly. That is the one remix I really dislike.

“...a copy of the original master recording, it ain’t!

Precisely what I thought when I first bought and listened to this CD. I think I’ve played it only twice more in the past 30 years.

Back
Top Bottom