⭐ Official Review [Album]: "A SONG FOR YOU" (SP-3511)

HOW WOULD YOU RATE THIS ALBUM?

• ***** (BEST)

Votes: 56 70.0%

Votes: 20 25.0%

Votes: 3 3.8%

Votes: 1 1.3%

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I used to be of the opinion that IGTTST was hindered a lot with the remix, but lately I’ve been hearing it more and I find it much more compelling than the original mix. The original is nice but the arrangement is pretty bland and way too safe (Karen was right that they “goofed” releasing it as an A-side), the beefing up of the new mix makes it sound much more lively, and even Karen’s vocal sounds much more involved somehow. Yes, it had that dated 80s Yamaha keyboard but it still hooks me more what Richard did with it in 1972.

I think it sounded best as a mono mix found on the promo 45. It was more cohesive. Karen's vocal was more out-front. Here it is for those who haven't heard it:

Wow! It really is better. She jumps out just a taste here and it's very pleasing. She's more a "part of the machine" in the stereo version. I like this!

Ed

I used to be of the opinion that IGTTST was hindered a lot with the remix, but lately I’ve been hearing it more and I find it much more compelling than the original mix. The original is nice but the arrangement is pretty bland and way too safe (Karen was right that they “goofed” releasing it as an A-side), the beefing up of the new mix makes it sound much more lively, and even Karen’s vocal sounds much more involved somehow. Yes, it had that dated 80s Yamaha keyboard but it still hooks me more what Richard did with it in 1972.

I love that there can be such differing opinions on this. I love even more that I disagree totally with the artists...LOL!! IMHO, this really was a single and they were right to release it as such. It did pretty well so that's gotta be worth something. I love Karen's voice on it. She's always relentlessly melodic as a singer and this is a really nice melody - especially in the B-sections ("After all the tears we spent"). I love Bob's flute solo and the accompanying background vocals too. It's a Pop tune that flirts with Jazz and I've always liked it.

I think the mono mix that @Harry shared with us is my new favorite. The remix doesn't even rank for me.

Ed

I love that there can be such differing opinions on this. I love even more that I disagree totally with the artists...LOL!! IMHO, this really was a single and they were right to release it as such. It did pretty well so that's gotta be worth something. I love Karen's voice on it. She's always relentlessly melodic as a singer and this is a really nice melody - especially in the B-sections ("After all the tears we spent"). I love Bob's flute solo and the accompanying background vocals too. It's a Pop tune that flirts with Jazz and I've always liked it.

I think the mono mix that @Harry shared with us is my new favorite. The remix doesn't even rank for me.

Ed

I’m really liking that mono mix too. I would say both of them top the album version. The original just needed more oomph to be a single, I’m not surprised it stalled at #12 - a more exciting song/arrangement would have charted it higher for sure.

I think it sounded best as a mono mix found on the promo 45. It was more cohesive. Karen's vocal was more out-front. Here it is for those who haven't heard it:

Exactly as I first heard it, on my portable AM radio, all those years ago! It really does sound it's best in this mono mix, with Karen's vocal as the center of attention. Thanks Harry!

A fun read is the article that Rick had posted some years ago about Richard, CSG and mono mixes.

I have the MFSL 24k Gold CD of ASFY and I was never that crazy about the sonics on that CD and I found it mastered a bit low for me. I don't care for the mix of IGTTST. I was really expecting to be blown away with the sound after all it's 24k gold right? They should have made an MFSL High Fidelity LP of ASFY, Olivia got one with Totally Hot in 1980.

I still can't believe the current prices this is getting on e bay as of now there are about 6 ranging from $186 to $500.00 crazy!!

Ed

I agree! My 10 year old ears were hooked the first time I heard it coming out of my brother’s clock radio in the middle of the night.

Grammy awards got me to thinking....Why was there no nominations
for the duo for 1972 ?
1971 saw a win with the Tan Carpenters album.
1973 saw a nomination for the song Sing.
But, 1972 there was nothing....no Grammy nominations.....Why ?

Last edited:
Great question! I never understood that either. I think it was a bit of back lash or whatever the people who vote on them we’re doing at the time. They were a huge hit making duo, and selling millions of records. Jealousy? Not sure. There were so many taking advantage of what Carpenters started in 1970. Music you could sing along to. Words you could understand. So many new artists coming up. The music industry was humming along with huge sales. The labels all looking for the newest act to get the jump on the competition. It was a great time for radio friendly artists, and AM radio. The competition was fierce. Lots of one hit wonders too. Maybe the major labels had more money to promote their acts than independent A&M did? Most of the awards shows are, or were very political then, and now. That’s why there has been so much backlash with all of them the last few years. I’ve always wondered and felt that Carpenters got short changed when it came to awards time.

Fast forward to now... The Weeknd had one of the biggest-selling albums of 2020, and a single that spent a record 43 weeks on the Billboard top 10, and yet he didn't receive a single nomination for this year's Grammy awards. Coincidentally, like the Carpenters, he had previously won three Grammys. I don't blame him for being upset, and calling for transparency from the Grammy organization as to their nominating process.

But, 1972 there was nothing....no Grammy nominations.....Why ?

Excellent question. If they were ever going to win a Grammy award for anything, it should have been for A Song For You. That album is just outstanding and probably the best they ever released. I’m sure they must have been disappointed by the lack of nominations at the time, because Richard is justifiably very proud of it, but on the other hand, imagine if it had won the Grammy for Producer of the Year...

:tumbleweed:

Here is a tidbit: "....As of 2004, A Song For You was the #86 best-selling album of the 1970s."

Here is a bunch of compiled reviews of A Song For You (note the wide variations in these reviews):

Intermission is one of my favorite Carpenters' recordings !

Consider that if A SONG FOR YOU had won for Producer of the Year, it would have gone to Jack Daugherty.

I should edit my information regarding 1971:
The tan album was nominated for album of the year. The duo won in the category "Best Pop Vocal Performance by a duo or group."
Of course, this more accurate information alters nothing in regards to zero nominations the following year.

I am forgetful, here is a nomination for 1972:
Nominations, Richard Carpenter
BEST INSTRUMENTAL ARRANGEMENT
Flat Baroque
Source:

Fast forward to now... The Weeknd had one of the biggest-selling albums of 2020, and a single that spent a record 43 weeks on the Billboard top 10, and yet he didn't receive a single nomination for this year's Grammy awards. Coincidentally, like the Carpenters, he had previously won three Grammys. I don't blame him for being upset, and calling for transparency from the Grammy organization as to their nominating process.
I still don’t get why he thinks he’s entitled to nominations simply based off of commercial success. I know that modesty doesn’t exist in our modernity but people can at least fake it.

Well, Murray, since you're not in the US, you won't be getting the $1400 stimulus money from the federal government. A US citizen who wants a blow-up pillow for $1295 can easily buy one with his or her stimulus check and have $105 left to find a copy of OFFERING! :)

$1,295 for a balloon?! The cool part is how these were displayed at the private pool party, but $1,295 is mightily ambitious.

One sold for $595 a few months ago, and that was crazy. Great keepsake and awesome to own. My stimulus check will get here too late I’m afraid. Maybe next time. 🙄

Well, Murray, since you're not in the US, you won't be getting the $1400 stimulus money from the federal government. A US citizen who wants a blow-up pillow for $1295 can easily buy one with his or her stimulus check and have $105 left to find a copy of OFFERING! :)
For the record (pardon the pun), not only do I NOT get a stimulus check, but I paid only $103 recently for my copy of Offering. In your analysis above, that would even leave $2 left over for a cup of coffee and donut to celebrate such a collectors' coup!

Back
Top Bottom