⭐ Official Review [Album]: "A SONG FOR YOU" (SP-3511)

HOW WOULD YOU RATE THIS ALBUM?

• ***** (BEST)

Votes: 56 70.0%

Votes: 20 25.0%

Votes: 3 3.8%

Votes: 1 1.3%

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
For the record (pardon the pun), not only do I NOT get a stimulus check, but I paid only $103 recently for my copy of Offering. In your analysis above, that would even leave $2 left over for a cup of coffee and donut to celebrate such a collectors' coup!
I think you were the one that beat me out if you got it on eBay!😀

Imho, the single version of "I Won't Last a Day Without You" is much better than the album version. It's a little sped up and has some guitar licks you won't find on the album.

This is - and always will be - the definitive version of the song for me. The harmony stack at the beginning is mixed differently (and with different harmonies?) compared to the album version, reminiscent of the harmonic chord stack on Love Is Surrender (“you must surrender if you ca-a-a-an”). The guitar licks are also a much needed addition to spice up the arrangement a bit.

This is - and always will be - the definitive version of the song for me. The harmony stack at the beginning is mixed differently (and with different harmonies?) compared to the album version and reminiscent of the harmonic chord stack on Love Is Surrender (“you must surrender if you ca-a-a-an”). The guitar licks are also a much needed addition to spice up the arrangement a bit.
Agreed! I was so glad to hear it, pop-free, on The Complete Singles PBS release.

This is - and always will be - the definitive version of the song for me. The harmony stack at the beginning is mixed differently (and with different harmonies?) compared to the album version, reminiscent of the harmonic chord stack on Love Is Surrender (“you must surrender if you ca-a-a-an”). The guitar licks are also a much needed addition to spice up the arrangement a bit.
The single mix sounds so different than the original LP version, I can see how it could of passed as a "new" single in 1974 and not a song pulled from the 1972 album "A Song For You." This is my favorite version too.

I got a promo LP of "A Song for You" over the weekend. Sounds like it was hardly played. It played almost (almost!) like a CD. Such amazing dynamic range on the spectrogram. The AM+ CD release retains this dynamic sound on only a few songs, as most of the tracks are remixes. "Crystal Lullaby" / "Road Ode" / "A Song for You (reprise)" sound absolutely fantastic on the AM+ CD. The rest are kind of meh (because they're all the remixes with noise reduction, etc.).

I will hunt that down! I bet it sounds amazing.

Is there a visual way to tell the difference?
The booklet will be very minimal. There won’t be any pictures or lyrics in it. It’s basically track listing and the 80’s “don’t use record cleaner” warning!

This is the version I have. It's a West Germany disc.

I have this one as well. I remember buying it at a record store, I think Peaches Records and Tapes. The insert has no photos, it's only a single fold open insert with track listings on the left and credits on the right. In this case it's the CD that's important. lol

I have this one as well. I remember buying it at a record store, I think Peaches Records and Tapes. The insert has no photos, it's only a single fold open insert with track listings on the left and credits on the right. In this case it's the CD that's important. lol
The hunt is on! (My mom is not happy with me growing my CD collection tho. Oh well.)

I remember buying the Ultra-Disc MFSL edition of A SONG FOR YOU back in the early 90s, I guess. It was part of the inventory of a specialized LaserDisc store that decided to get rid of everything BUT LaserDiscs, so they had a store section full of CDs and other odd assorted shiny discs like CD ROMs for computer games and CDVs and VCDs. And they had this Carpenters disc which had been very expensive reduced to half-price so I bought it.

I thought I had some great prize of a disc, but it turns out to be one of my least-played Carpenters discs. Still, it sells for a pretty penny on the used market.

I remember buying the Ultra-Disc MFSL edition of A SONG FOR YOU back in the early 90s, I guess. It was part of the inventory of a specialized LaserDisc store that decided to get rid of everything BUT LaserDiscs, so they had a store section full of CDs and other odd assorted shiny discs like CD ROMs for computer games and CDVs and VCDs. And they had this Carpenters disc which had been very expensive reduced to half-price so I bought it.

I thought I had some great prize of a disc, but it turns out to be one of my least-played Carpenters discs. Still, it sells for a pretty penny on the used market.
I believe I have this disc as well. Someone (a family friend) gave it to me for free. I'm shocked it goes for as much as it goes for on eBay. I'm not sure if I'm more shocked, though, that MFSL released a CD that wasn't quality checked. From what I've heard about the other MFSL releases, they're generally stringent about doing flat transfers from the source tape and not doing peak limiting/compression, etc. But alas, this one was bungled...

That's the one I have to. Great-sounding disc. That MFSL is a disaster. I spent the money on it and immediately regretted it. Lesson learned. I love ever other MFSL disc I've gotten. NOT "A Song for You".

Ed

That's the one I have to. Great-sounding disc. That MFSL is a disaster. I spent the money on it and immediately regretted it. Lesson learned. I love ever other MFSL disc I've gotten. NOT "A Song for You".

Ed
Same! Okay... so the consensus seems to be that the original, pressed in West Germany disc from probably 1984 or 1985 (when they were still doing the smooth edges on the jewel case) is the one to get. Life goals...

This can be branched off into other forum threads, but does anyone know of any other Carpenters albums that were pressed on CD in ~1984/1985 with the same smooth edges? I have one--Made in America... but unfortunately, that's the one my computer CD drive scratched and caused read errors on! :realmad:

Same! Okay... so the consensus seems to be that the original, pressed in West Germany disc from probably 1984 or 1985 (when they were still doing the smooth edges on the jewel case) is the one to get. Life goals...

This can be branched off into other forum threads, but does anyone know of any other Carpenters albums that were pressed on CD in ~1984/1985 with the same smooth edges? I have one--Made in America... but unfortunately, that's the one my computer CD drive scratched and caused read errors on! :realmad:

That's the only PGD one I've seen. The other AM+ A&M discs are excellent. I'm so glad I kept mine when Richard started remastering. They're all totally free of compression.

Ed

Back
Top Bottom