⭐ Official Review [Album]: "A SONG FOR YOU" (SP-3511)

HOW WOULD YOU RATE THIS ALBUM?

• ***** (BEST)

Votes: 56 70.0%

Votes: 20 25.0%

Votes: 3 3.8%

Votes: 1 1.3%

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Smooth-sided cases in my collection:

CLOSE TO YOU - PGD West Germany
A SONG FOR YOU - PGD West Germany
NOW & THEN - PGD West Germany
SINGLES 69-73 - Denon Japan
PASSAGE - Made at Denon USA, DIDX 787
CHRISTMAS PORTAIT SE - Denon Japan
VOICE OF THE HEART - Denon Japan

All have 7502 bar codes except SINGLES and VOICE OF THE HEART.

All tray inserts were Printed In The USA

Smooth-sided cases in my collection:

CLOSE TO YOU - PGD West Germany
A SONG FOR YOU - PGD West Germany
NOW & THEN - PGD West Germany
SINGLES 69-73 - Denon Japan
PASSAGE - Made at Denon USA, DIDX 787
CHRISTMAS PORTAIT SE - Denon Japan

All have 7502 bar codes except SINGLES and VOICE OF THE HEART.

All tray inserts were Printed In The USA

Does that "Close to You" PGD CD feature the mirror inner ring? If so, is there any sonic difference in it?

Ed

Yes, the PGD discs have the mirrored inner hub.

If there's any sonic difference, it's beyond my hearing abilities to tell, and was so when I was a couple decades younger too.

There are a few songs I prefer on MFSL. It’s the first I remember with Its Going To Take Sometime remixed, which is one of the few remixes I enjoy. I like the piano replacement in A Song For You, and the opening of I Won’t Last A Day Without You, and the chorus vocals of Bless The Beasts snd the Children. All of these are on other compilations now. These remixes are not perfect, for there are other things missing in each of those songs too. On a positive side as an example, it’s one of few disks with a decent version of Top Of The World, but I like the original as an alternative. Both are good, but the background vocals are best in the 1973 remix. I like the lead on both versions, but I like that we now have both in the treasury of disk compilations. So, there are different takes, which I enjoy, but there was not anything wrong with the originals. Most remixes place background vocals far in the background and add those blasted over pumping drums that ruin each song it’s on, with few exception. As an aside, the single version of Please Mr. Postman has different harmonies in the background vocals on each of the ahh repeats and the other versions fade sooner and the upper harmonies are buried. I first noticed it on the live version from the Bruce Forseyth show, cause Karen focuses on those in that performance and they are only obviously heard on the single version. I like that there are choices for listening pleasure. But nothing deserves a total bash. However, I can understand emotional investment in one edit over another. In each remix, Karen is usually more front and center, which I enjoy too. I wish I could design my own sometimes. I’m sure if Karen was living Richard would have not had to go back to original tracks that often were not in the condition they were. All in all, the options are nice.

I, too, treasure everything that has been released. Alternates are always good for variety. But there are those remixes that just bother me, and Craig, I think we've been down this road before - I don't care much for the remix of "It's Going To Take Some Time". The piano just sounds wrong to me. It gets better as the song goes on, but the opening just crosses me the wrong way.

I, too, treasure everything that has been released. Alternates are always good for variety. But there are those remixes that just bother me, and Craig, I think we've been down this road before - I don't care much for the remix of "It's Going To Take Some Time". The piano just sounds wrong to me. It gets better as the song goes on, but the opening just crosses me the wrong way.
I totally understand that perspective. I honestly enjoy Carole King’s original, too. But it’s hard to find one I like better. They all equal to me, and I was just reiterating an example. You are right however, that some of the ones I like best, most don’t. I think we all like and prefer the original Rainy Days and Monday’s, though the RPO version comes close. But that’s a different album. Back to A Song For You, I love Flat Baroque in any version.

I totally understand that perspective. I honestly enjoy Carole King’s original, too. But it’s hard to find one I like better. They all equal to me, and I was just reiterating an example. You are right however, that some of the ones I like best, most don’t. I think we all like and prefer the original Rainy Days and Monday’s, though the RPO version comes close. But that’s a different album. Back to A Song For You, I love Flat Baroque in any version.
It’s too bad Richard wouldn’t license the “Sounds Like The Navy” version of ‘Flat Baroque’ for release.

(33:25)

It’s too bad Richard wouldn’t license the “Sounds Like The Navy” version of ‘Flat Baroque’ for release.

(33:25)

Thank you for sharing this! I'm sure if I heard "Flat Baroque" from Your Navy Presents and just forgot about it. The whole "Your Navy Presents" performance is pretty interesting, imho. I got a chance to listen to the "From the Top" clips, and can confirm from looking at waveforms that the YNP audio on "The Essential Collection" suffered from the loudness wars, whereas the audio on "From the Top" did not.

I have never heard that version. I really enjoyed listening to it and I have to agree with you, Tom. Thanks for posting it!

Regarding the packaging for A Song for You, another thread made me think about environmentalism, and I always wanted to ask... is the LP cardboard jacket (and the inner paper sleeve) made of recycled paper?

Regarding the packaging for A Song for You, another thread made me think about environmentalism, and I always wanted to ask... is the LP cardboard jacket (and the inner paper sleeve) made of recycled paper?
The inner sleeve of my A Song For You LP says at the bottom, "As an anti-pollutionary measure, this inner sleeve is made of 100% recycled paper" I'm not sure about the jacket, although it has a textured look and feel. My LP jacket opens from the side with the embossed logo on the flap.

I just bought this one on eBay. Looking forward to hearing it.

In other, more related news, it seems that A Song for You is this forum's favorite album, by far. That ratio of 5 stars to 4 stars blows all the other albums out of the water.

At one point, A Song for You was my favorite album, period. Of any artist, in any genre. Even though it's not my favorite album of all time anymore, I will always love listening to it; it's a gem. I was very grateful that a local record store owner offered me first dibs on a near-mint promo copy recently. It sounds close to perfect.

It’s well reported that Karen had some throat/vocal chord issues while she recorded this album (I’m blanking on the exact diagnosis, except a canker soar on the larynx, if that wasn’t only it) and was advised to not sing, but does anyone hear any instances when you can detect her sounding different? I never have, but I’m technically illiterate when it comes to names and labels of notes and techniques and all that. I think her voice was doubled on the chorus of IWLADWY because she didn’t sound as rich or something? It’s a testament to the abilities that she might struggle but we hear basically no difference at all.

It’s well reported that Karen had some throat/vocal chord issues while she recorded this album (I’m blanking on the exact diagnosis, except a canker soar on the larynx, if that wasn’t only it) and was advised to not sing, but does anyone hear any instances when you can detect her sounding different? I never have, but I’m technically illiterate when it comes to names and labels of notes and techniques and all that. I think her voice was doubled on the chorus of IWLADWY because she didn’t sound as rich or something? It’s a testament to the abilities that she might struggle but we hear basically no difference at all.

I thought it was just a cold and nothing more. Did I miss something?

Ed

I thought it was just a cold and nothing more. Did I miss something?

Ed
I always read that it was more than that, enough that a doctor was concerned. If If was just a cold I don’t think they would’ve been. There’s more written about it in the Coleman book but I haven’t skimmed to find the info yet.

I always read that it was more than that, enough that a doctor was concerned. If If was just a cold I don’t think they would’ve been. There’s more written about it in the Coleman book but I haven’t skimmed to find the info yet.

I believe that's where I saw that it was just a cold. I'll have to go looking again. Haven't read the book in a while but I know exactly where it is.

Ed

You are right GaryAlan. They both depict different highlight snapshots of their career. Horizon has them showcasing a more cultivated sound that they carried through the rest of their career, and A Song For You perfectly displays the essence of their collective identity. The title song has always been a strong favorite, as is most of the album. With the perfect arrangement and solid delivery from Karen almost nothing compares until the depth of the universal quality in Horizon. By this time, they are the perfect pop magicians of song who can clearly tackle any project or style: a matured sound at the top of their game. With their own purpose of concept, both are equally as good, they just highlight different aspects of their talent. Now, as individual projects one could tire of the ballad heavy style of Horizon, but as individual songs, it is very strong. I could even accept 2 more ballads, for to me, it is a source of strength that is well delivered. As a collection of songs, A Song For You is well balanced. So, there are different reasons to like both equally. Horizon has a better quality of sound to my ears and I never tire of it’s almost perfect frame that captures Karen’s voice and feels as though you can bathe in each song.

I've been listening to "Road Ode" a lot lately - it keeps bouncing around in my head - and the same thing happened to me here with this song as happened when I heard "Baby, It's You" on the RPO album: a sudden awakening about how truly great the arrangement and vocals really are! "Road Ode" is a somber but inspired piece of music and Karen's rendition is appropriately controlled and restrained, yet compelling as always...

If an RPO2 ever materializes I hope RO finds it way onto it, although I would love to see 3 major alterations that I feel would make it a near perfect recording: (1) the flute solo in the middle should be extended to twice or 3 times it's current length; (2) the chorus (shown below) should be repeated a third time near the end; and (3) the French horns at the end should be replaced by an oboe, a much more suitable instrument for the song's "feel".

Q: does anyone know if anyone else sang on this chorus with Karen and Richard, and how many tracks did those two overlay to create that "choral" sound?

They don't know
The endless crowds of faces
Just keep on wearing a smile
The countless times and places lead me back

I've been listening to "Road Ode" a lot lately - it keeps bouncing around in my head - and the same thing happened to me here with this song as happened when I heard "Baby, It's You" on the RPO album: a sudden awakening about how truly great the arrangement and vocals really are! "Road Ode" is a somber but inspired piece of music and Karen's rendition is appropriately controlled and restrained, yet compelling as always...

If an RPO2 ever materializes I hope RO finds it way onto it, although I would love to see 3 major alterations that I feel would make it a near perfect recording: (1) the flute solo in the middle should be extended to twice or 3 times it's current length; (2) the chorus (shown below) should be repeated a third time near the end; and (3) the French horns at the end should be replaced by an oboe, a much more suitable instrument for the song's "feel".

Q: does anyone know if anyone else sang on this chorus with Karen and Richard, and how many tracks did those two overlay to create that "choral" sound?

They don't know
The endless crowds of faces
Just keep on wearing a smile
The countless times and places lead me back
It needs to be the remixed version that gets the RPO treatment, the song would sound even fuller and sparkle even brighter with it. The exciting nature of touring is captured perfectly with the tonal shifts and Karen anchors it all with great, broad power on the choruses and then own very personalized touch on the verses.

I don’t know if this has been talked about much or at all, but I’m listening to some of the original mixes on the album (more than half the album I prefer the remixes of) and I’m noticing there’s small sections of some that sound clearly like a mix of different takes spliced together, even within a same vocal line. I know this isn’t an uncommon recording practice for many but it’s usually not detectable in the mixing like it is here. It’s not distracting just noticeable sometimes, or at least it’s what it sounds like.

Anybody else hear it here in particular? I wonder if it had anything to do with Karen’s nodule issues when it was recorded. You can’t hear any vocal faults except maybe in how it’s pieced together because she struggled.

I don't know if this has been mentioned before but this youtuber has some original vinyl rips of songs and just uploaded Bless The Beasts. In a comment he mentions a door opening squeak only on the vinyl and removed on later issues. Could this be a mention on the database or no? Here's the link. You can clearly hear it on the left side wearing headphones.

I don't know if this has been mentioned before but this youtuber has some original vinyl rips of songs and just uploaded Bless The Beasts. In a comment he mentions a door opening squeak only on the vinyl and removed on later issues. Could this be a mention on the database or no? Here's the link. You can clearly hear it on the left side wearing headphones.

This is discussed at length in our book under the song entry for “Beasts” within the discography. 😀

I've heard it at least a thousand times and it still stops me in my tracks. So GOOD.

Back
Top Bottom