⭐ Official Review [Album]: "AS TIME GOES BY" (UICY-1060)

HOW WOULD YOU RATE THIS ALBUM?

• ***** (BEST)

Votes: 10 12.0%

Votes: 35 42.2%

Votes: 31 37.3%

Votes: 5 6.0%

Votes: 2 2.4%

• Total voters
We can all imagine whatever we want but nobody knows what she felt in that recording session - the chances are good that no matter what resentment she was still feeling about the Solo Album, she was still at least somewhat happy to be back in the studio recording again- as she always was...

Have you heard the story about "The Session From Hell"? It's documented elsewhere on this board, and it's worth a read. I'll try and find it later and link to it.

One of the highlights: Karen says to Richard "I'm never singing that piece of s*** again!"

I don't remember if it was confirmed they were recording Rainbow Connection, or if it's taken on faith.

Have you heard the story about "The Session From Hell"? It's documented elsewhere on this board, and it's worth a read. I'll try and find it later and link to it.

From Joe Osborn:

In about ’81- ’82, I flew out for another round of sessions. We usually started at 6:00 pm and worked until midnight. Well, that afternoon I met up with some old buddies for a couple of beers--- which turned into a whole bunch of beers--- when I got to the studio (needless to say) I wasn’t in top form. We started to work on the first chart and I floundered around trying to read the part--- trying to play the part---After a couple of hours and several pots of coffee I was feeling better---so we started on the next song. KAREN HATED THE SONG!!! I don’t remember what it was but I’m sure Richard does. I had just changed the strings on my bass (the old strings had been on the bass for seventeen years). Well, Richard started to complain about the sound of the new strings--- TWANGY --- DOESN’T SOUND LIKE YOUR BASS--- Now, the tension starts to mount. Richard is trying to convince Karen that the song is great--- and she is in total disagreement! He doesn’t like the sound of the bass. By now he’s not having a very good time. Then Richard asked me if I brought the old strings with me--- I don’t know WHY I did--- but I did--- they were in my case. So he asked if I would mind putting them on my bass. I said “yes, I would mind--- but I will! But you won’t like them”. Well we made it through the session and as I was (quickly) packing--- Richard said, “oh, by the way, I do like those strings”!!! So I took them off the bass and rolled them up--- and as I handed them to Richard I said (in no uncertain terms) “if you like them that much--- they’re yours”!!! Richard refers to that night as “THE SESSION FROM HELL”.

This part is quite telling:

"I don’t remember specific dates about much of anything. April ’82 could have been close to the time of the “SESSION FROM HELL”. During those last few recording sessions it was obvious (to me at least) that Richard and Karen weren’t having any fun in the studio."

Here's the full thread:

Last edited:
From Joe Osborn:

In about ’81- ’82, I flew out for another round of sessions. We usually started at 6:00 pm and worked until midnight. Well, that afternoon I met up with some old buddies for a couple of beers--- which turned into a whole bunch of beers--- when I got to the studio (needless to say) I wasn’t in top form. We started to work on the first chart and I floundered around trying to read the part--- trying to play the part---After a couple of hours and several pots of coffee I was feeling better---so we started on the next song. KAREN HATED THE SONG!!! I don’t remember what it was but I’m sure Richard does. I had just changed the strings on my bass (the old strings had been on the bass for seventeen years). Well, Richard started to complain about the sound of the new strings--- TWANGY --- DOESN’T SOUND LIKE YOUR BASS--- Now, the tension starts to mount. Richard is trying to convince Karen that the song is great--- and she is in total disagreement! He doesn’t like the sound of the bass. By now he’s not having a very good time. Then Richard asked me if I brought the old strings with me--- I don’t know WHY I did--- but I did--- they were in my case. So he asked if I would mind putting them on my bass. I said “yes, I would mind--- but I will! But you won’t like them”. Well we made it through the session and as I was (quickly) packing--- Richard said, “oh, by the way, I do like those strings”!!! So I took them off the bass and rolled them up--- and as I handed them to Richard I said (in no uncertain terms) “if you like them that much--- they’re yours”!!! Richard refers to that night as “THE SESSION FROM HELL”.

This part is quite telling:

"I don’t remember specific dates about much of anything. April ’82 could have been close to the time of the “SESSION FROM HELL”. During those last few recording sessions it was obvious (to me at least) that Richard and Karen weren’t having any fun in the studio."

Here's the full thread:

Funny follow up to that story. Several years later, Joe asked Richard to borrow back the “E” string for whatever reason, only to end up losing it. Richard was ticked because he had a complete set of Joe’s original strings … until, he didn’t! 🤣

Funny follow up to that story. Several years later, Joe asked Richard to borrow back the “E” string for whatever reason, only to end up losing it. Richard was ticked because he had a complete set of Joe’s original strings … until, he didn’t! 🤣

It's recounted right here from 7:35 :). Love the part where Richard says "you took [the strings] off your bass and gave them to me...and told me what to do with them actually" :laugh:

Back
Top Bottom