• The new Carpenters recording with the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra is now available. Use this link to order, and help us out at the same time. Thank you!

Official Review [Album]: "AS TIME GOES BY" (UICY-1060)

HOW WOULD YOU RATE THIS ALBUM?

• ***** (BEST)

Votes: 8 12.7%

Votes: 24 38.1%

Votes: 24 38.1%

Votes: 5 7.9%

Votes: 2 3.2%

• Total voters

Chris May

Resident 'Carpenterologist'
Staff member
Not being a musician in the least, I'll say the opening notes of "Baby It's You", "Only Yesterday" , "Make It Easy on Yourself (1980) "and "Ordinary Fool" have that same wow factor impact on me as "Dance".
Absolutely! And measure the similarities - For instance, John Bettis mentioned in the interview I did with him about how the opening word after in "Only Yesterday" has almost a sawtooth wave pattern for that very reason. In order to get the most out of that low E flat, it had to be written that way as this was tailored to Karen's voice. Jump up just a step-and-a-half to the opening note in "Dance In The Old-Fashioned Way" and you have virtually the same effect.

leadmister

Daniel Levitin wrote a wonderful book about 10 years ago called This Is Your Brain On Music, combining his experiences in music, as well as neuroscience. I have not a single doubt that studying and reviewing Carpenters offerings has played a significant part in helping him realize the phenomenal power of music. I highly recommend it, as it really is a fascinating and enlightening read.

https://www.amazon.com/This-Your-Brain-Music-Obsession/dp/0452288525

Top Bottom