1. The new Carpenters recording with the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra is now available for preorder! Use this link to preorder, and help us out at the same time. Thank you!

Official Review [Album]: "AS TIME GOES BY" (UICY-1060)

Discussion in 'A Song For You: The Carpenters Forum' started by Chris May, Sep 23, 2006.

HOW WOULD YOU RATE THIS ALBUM?

1. ***** (BEST)

8 vote(s)
    12.7%
  2. ****

24 vote(s)
    38.1%
  3. ***

24 vote(s)
    38.1%
  4. **

5 vote(s)
    7.9%
  5. *

2 vote(s)
    3.2%
  1. Chris May

Chris May Resident 'Carpenterologist' Moderator Thread Starter

Absolutely! And measure the similarities - For instance, John Bettis mentioned in the interview I did with him about how the opening word after in "Only Yesterday" has almost a sawtooth wave pattern for that very reason. In order to get the most out of that low E flat, it had to be written that way as this was tailored to Karen's voice. Jump up just a step-and-a-half to the opening note in "Dance In The Old-Fashioned Way" and you have virtually the same effect.

2. leadmister

leadmister Well-Known Member

Daniel Levitin wrote a wonderful book about 10 years ago called This Is Your Brain On Music, combining his experiences in music, as well as neuroscience. I have not a single doubt that studying and reviewing Carpenters offerings has played a significant part in helping him realize the phenomenal power of music. I highly recommend it, as it really is a fascinating and enlightening read.

https://www.amazon.com/This-Your-Brain-Music-Obsession/dp/0452288525