⭐ Official Review [Album]: "AS TIME GOES BY" (UICY-1060)

HOW WOULD YOU RATE THIS ALBUM?

• ***** (BEST)

Votes: 10 12.0%

Votes: 35 42.2%

Votes: 31 37.3%

Votes: 5 6.0%

Votes: 2 2.4%

• Total voters
Sarah McLachlan had no trouble smoothing things out and she did so very well. Have a listen:

I honestly don't think it's about the clipped delivery of Henson (Kermit); it's about Karen's dislike of the tune and Richard's completely wrong arrangement. Ian Freebairn-Smith got it totally right on the original version and Richard missed completely.

Ed

I definitely prefer that to the C's version, and agree it's mostly about the arrangement. Has to be a tough song to sing comfortably, though, with little opportunity to use vibrato or extend notes. Karen's greatest strength was always those elongated vowels..."Looong agoooooo and oh soo far awaaay...…."

Nice to have a Carpenters version, but I can think of a ton of other songs I'd have rather heard Karen's voice and Richard's arrangement on.

Don't Forget "I'm Always Chasing Rainbows" by Alice Cooper (from 1976 "Goes To Hell"). Matt Clark Sanford, MI

What a shame that the entire 1980 Television show
Music, Music, Music
can not be released as a Carpenters' DVD !
I have been watching the various TV Specials from which originates many of these songs on
this cd, As Time Goes By.....

So, the real issue is NOT that As Time Goes By
does not have great music...it certainly does !
But, given that many of these songs originated for broadcast on Television programs,
the translation from the VISUAL & AUDIO to only AUDIO emphasises (imho) the entire issue herein.
The coherence of a "studio" album--as representative of "one-point-in-time"-- is lost.
It helps for the consumer to read the Liner Notes, to comprehend the reasoning behind the song choices,
even so, watching the separate programs from which these songs originate,
goes a long way to appreciating the musical choices.

With regard to the songs on As Time Goes By, I can tell you that a karaoke version has been produced of 3 of its songs ("Leave Yesterday Behind," "The Rainbow Connection," and "And When He Smiles"): "Leave Yesterday Behind" and "The Rainbow Connection" by major U.S. karaoke production companies, and "And When He Smiles" by a major French karaoke production company. If we keep in mind that the overwhelming majority of album cuts by popular artists and many top hit singles are never produced for karaoke, this is impressive... I, personally, like all 3 of these songs. Now if only someone would make a karaoke version of "Two Sides" and "I Can Dream Can't I...."

What a shame that the entire 1980 Television show
Music, Music, Music
can not be released as a Carpenters' DVD !
I have been watching the various TV Specials from which originates many of these songs on
this cd, As Time Goes By.....

It isn't that they can't be; it's that Richard doesn't want them to be.

Ed

Let us sequence these songs Chronologically:
(1) Nowhere Man (Demo)
(2) California Dreamin' (Demo)
(3) And When He Smiles (1971 BBC Television Special)
(4) Carpenters/Como Medley (1974 Como Christmas Special)
(5) Superstar/Rainy Days And Mondays Medley (1976 First Television Special)
(6) Hits Medley (1976 First Television Special)
(7) Dancing In The Street (Space Encounters Special)
(8) Medley: Close Encounters/Star Wars (Space Encounters Special)
(9) Leave Yesterday Behind (Outtake)
(10) The Rainbow Connection (Outtake)
(11) Without A Song (Music, Music, Music Special)
(12) I Got Rhythm (Music, Music, Music Special)
(13) Dizzy Fingers (Music, Music, Music Special)
(14) You're Just In Love (Music, Music, Music Special)
(15) Karen/Ella Medley (Music, Music, Music Special)

From Above, we can select the songs which are NOT for Television Specials (4/15):
Nowhere Man
California Dreamin'
Leave Yesterday Behind
The Rainbow Connection

From Above, songs from Specials, but NOT Medleys OR instrumentals (5/15):
And When He Smiles
You're Just In Love
Dancing In The Street
Without A Song
I Got Rhythm

The Medleys--exclude instrumental (4/15):
Karen/Ella
Carpenters/Como
Superstar/Rainy Days And Mondays
Hits '76

Now, Instrumentals (2/15):
Close Encounters/Star Wars
Dizzy Fingers

I was looking at the CD last night I was noticing that 9 of the 15 tracks were not medleys. When you think of their other non-seasonal albums, most of them were in the 8-10 track range without medleys and tiny intro/outro songs. So, “As Time Goes By” sure falls into that range. And with LPs I think that range was kind of arbitrary if you wanted good sound on all your tracks. But with CD you don’t have to worry with groove spacing or where on the record the track is placed. Plus CD’s give you upto 70 minutes vs LPs 60. So I wonder if Richard was trying to put out what he thought a Carpenters album would’ve looked like in the CD era had Karen lived. Forget albums that only play for half-an-hour or 45 minutes.

This time of year I remember this album with fondness. Being of the LOVE SONGS generation, it was UNBELIEVABLE to get new content. I will never forget having a friend order me the album and single from Japan and coming home from school to find that it arrived. Such a gorgeous album cover and some real treasures. Too many guest artists for me, but still lovely. I remember being disappointed that Superstar and Rainy Days and Mondays were on it, but the vocal performance on that medley is stunning.

This time of year I remember this album with fondness. Being of the LOVE SONGS generation, it was UNBELIEVABLE to get new content. I will never forget having a friend order me the album and single from Japan and coming home from school to find that it arrived. Such a gorgeous album cover and some real treasures. Too many guest artists for me, but still lovely. I remember being disappointed that Superstar and Rainy Days and Mondays were on it, but the vocal performance on that medley is stunning.
I agree. While a nice performance, Richard could’ve put “Make Me Laugh” in its place as “Superstar & Rainy Days And Monday’s” have appeared on numerous compilations. Or like “Slow Dance” & “Honolulu City Lights” in the 80s were released on compilations first and the “Loveliness”, “Tryin’ To Get The Feeling” could been put on.

For some reason I cannot stomach "Make Me Laugh."
No belly-laugh then? I don't like it, either. It's a novelty throw-away song that was never meant to be serious, (obviously), or vocally sound. I'd never give it a second listen. I fully enjoy most of the other tracks on 'As Time Goes By', though.

Speaking of mirth, I think that 'And When He Smiles' should have had its own track listing on the album, instead of being a 'hidden track'. Great song and performance!

For some reason I cannot stomach "Make Me Laugh."
It’s an okay song. Not really a Christmas song (and as Richard mentions on “Christmas Memories” it was a track recorded for a TV special that aired in March), it’s kinda like “My Favorite Things”. I wouldn’t be surprised if “Make Me Laugh” makes it CD debut on a 50th anniversary disc.

No belly-laugh then? I don't like it, either. It's a novelty throw-away song that was never meant to be serious, (obviously), or vocally sound. I'd never give it a second listen. I fully enjoy most of the other tracks on 'As Time Goes By', though.

Speaking of mirth, I think that 'And When He Smiles' should have had its own track listing on the album, instead of being a 'hidden track'. Great song and performance!

Yes, I agree. And When He Smiles is a favorite of mine for just the pure joy that Karen expresses while singing it (1971 BBC Special). One of her best video moments ever...On the other hand, I believe that Karen would probably be appalled at the interest in Make Me Laugh if she was still with us. It was nothing more than a grainy video from a long forgotten TV special.

I love Make Me Laugh! Karen sings harmony while Richard sings the lead. It's a fun song and I like its Broadway style appeal. It's a little like Steve and Eydie, but it shows an arts appeal.

"And When He Smiles" was released as its own separate track on the US version of AS TIME GOES BY. It's almost worth buying for that reason alone.

I really love
And When He Smiles....
Richard writes: "This is a live recording, done on September 25, 1971 at the BBC television Studios."

My question, Is that a clarinet being played throughout by Doug Strawn ?
I love that....

I gave this album ****.

I think this was my favorite album cover and one of my favorite albums of Carpenters music in years! Starting out great by hearing Karen and Rich finishing "Without A Song." It's a bit medley heavy, but the Como and Fitzgerald ones are essential listening! This is a "Carpenters" collection and Rich is half of that duo, so I appreciate Close Encounters/Star Wars, and Dizzy Fingers being there, but I personally would of liked to hear more Karen vocals, since I've heard there are more in "the can." Richard obviously used the melody from You're Just In Love as an inspiration for "Those Good Old Dreams!" Leave Yesterday Behind and The Rainbow Connection are great, Richard did a nice job finishing them. "And When He Smiles" is a great blast of 70's pop that they should of took the time to record in the studio, but I think this sounds pretty great. Personally the highlight is getting to hear a teenage Karen sing "Nowhere Man." Even if it is embellished just a bit over the top, the girl sounded like an angel, even then.

This is an odd collection of songs, but these 15 tracks are very listenable, and somehow flow as good as a regular studio set. I first got this in 2001 from Japan and paid a fortune for it. No regrets, I still enjoy this "gift" from the Carpenter's
legacy. In fact I'm enjoying it right now............

(11) Without A Song (Music, Music, Music Special)
(12) I Got Rhythm (Music, Music, Music Special)
(13) Dizzy Fingers (Music, Music, Music Special)
(14) You're Just In Love (Music, Music, Music Special)
(15) Karen/Ella Medley (Music, Music, Music Special)

Reading this, it's the first time I've realised that the album contains no less than five tracks from the last TV special. I think the only material missing is the guest-only performances and Richard's own take on You'll Never Know (which I really, really wish he'd included). This album was in many ways a truly unexpected gift.

I first got this in 2001 from Japan and paid a fortune for it. No regrets, I still enjoy this "gift" from the Carpenter's legacy. In fact I'm enjoying it right now............

There was a radio documentary about Richard and Karen sometime around 2000 (before this album was released) and playing underneath the dialogue at one point was You're Just In Love. From the little I could hear, I could tell this was a duet with Richard as I could hear him sing his part and I remember being stunned and puzzled at what this new song was and where on earth the radio station had found it. Then, a couple of months later, I got the album from Japan as well, heard it and realised they must have done the same and got an import copy.

Last edited:
Add in the 1980 Medley from FROM THE TOP or ESSENTIAL COLLECTION and you've got more than half of the MUSIC, MUSIC, MUSIC special on CD.

Add in the 1980 Medley from FROM THE TOP or ESSENTIAL COLLECTION and you've got more than half of the MUSIC, MUSIC, MUSIC special on CD.
Plus from “Interpretations” we’ve got a MMM outtake—-“From This Moment On” (and on the Canadian CD it’s in its original Mono TV mix).

In theory, someone could re-master (re-edit with the improved audio) MUSIC, MUSIC, MUSIC in its entirety almost.
I don't think RC would sync up well with John Davidson though. :unhunh:

Back
Top Bottom