⭐ Official Review [Album]: "AS TIME GOES BY" (UICY-1060)

HOW WOULD YOU RATE THIS ALBUM?

• ***** (BEST)

Votes: 10 12.0%

Votes: 35 42.2%

Votes: 31 37.3%

Votes: 5 6.0%

Votes: 2 2.4%

• Total voters
I really think they could have put together a DVD release for As Time Goes By. Interpretations was so short, I imagine this wouldn't be much longer. And the parts where they want to edit out the guest performers they could have shown stills of Karen and Richard.

It would be awesome having the MMM! medleys on DVD.

Make Me Laugh
was mentioned above; I do not understand the song --which features the duo, yet representing so much of
Richard Carpenter on lead vocal--I apologize, but he simply does not have a strong enough lead vocal.
It is 1977, how are they being presented any differently, or better than, say, Make Your Own Kind Of Music ?
...here is a fairly clean/clear presentation:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xh8myhJniTs

Make Me Laugh
was mentioned above; I do not understand the song --which features the duo, yet representing so much of
Richard Carpenter on lead vocal--I apologize, but he simply does not have a strong enough lead vocal.
It is 1977, how are they being presented any differently, or better than, say, Make Your Own Kind Of Music ?
...here is a fairly clean/clear presentation:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xh8myhJniTs

I think I've only ever heard this once before, but watching the clip back makes me realise why that's the case. This is exactly the sort of 'outtake' that really should remain buried in the vaults. It might have been fine for the purposes of appearing on a show in 1977 (although even then it's corny and lightweight), but it's not of sufficient quality to appear on a rarities CD/box set.

Gary, I'd completely agree with you re their presentation. Aside from a lot of the music that was recorded for them, I'm no fan of the TV Specials (and I'd consider 'Make Me Laugh' to fall within that genre as they were presented very similarly in both) as I don't think they presented Karen and Richard well at all and just reinforced the pre-existing image problems they were already experiencing.

Much as I love their music and Karen's singing, things like 'Make Me Laugh' and 'Christmas Alphabet' are absolute out-and-out misses that I'd never want to hear again.

Make Me Laugh is a track that does them no credit. It’s not memorable, the backing track is overblown and it’s not suited to their style at all. One for the permanent archive in my book. Going by this, it’s no wonder Richard hated the specials.

“Make Me Laugh” is so different in style from their “Horizon” and “A Kind Of Hush” albums. I find that it’s grown on me. It’s not really a Christmas song, but I’d take it over “Sandy” or “I Believe You” any day. It should’ve been put on an album even just as an album track.

The Dorothy Hamill Special was early 1977, here is 1980:
"She had been part of the Jerry Weintraub umbrella, along with stars such as Frank Sinatra and Neil Diamond.
Weintraub likes to protect his stars, sometimes to the point of shelter.
"That's not the way I want it," Hamill said. "I'm not Frank Sinatra. I'm the girl next door."
She and Weintraub recently parted amicably, after what the trades might call, "philosophical differences."

More:
ttps://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/lifestyle/1980/12/13/dorothy-hamill-is-so-sweet-skating-toward-vegas/6032e7e8-8c35-4087-8e2a-2f3e0c8ee07b/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.aec2997ca7e0

I personally don’t care much for this album but liked some songs such the only single “Rainbow Connection” (Japan only) and “Leave Yesterday Behind.”

Leave yesterday behind would have been a better single choice in my opinion.

I was hoping for a “Lovelines” type of album but this feels a little all over the place. I still play it from time to time but I skip songs. The superstar/rainy days and mondays feels like “filler” and I think it wasn’t necessary. They already appeared on the self titled album and every compilation known. I wanted all new material. It should have been a B-Side to rainbow connection.

“Make Me Laugh” is so different in style from their “Horizon” and “A Kind Of Hush” albums. I find that it’s grown on me. It’s not really a Christmas song, but I’d take it over “Sandy” or “I Believe You” any day. It should’ve been put on an album even just as an album track.

The Dorothy Hamill Special was early 1977, here is 1980:
"She had been part of the Jerry Weintraub umbrella, along with stars such as Frank Sinatra and Neil Diamond.
Weintraub likes to protect his stars, sometimes to the point of shelter.
"That's not the way I want it," Hamill said. "I'm not Frank Sinatra. I'm the girl next door."
She and Weintraub recently parted amicably, after what the trades might call, "philosophical differences."

More:
ttps://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/lifestyle/1980/12/13/dorothy-hamill-is-so-sweet-skating-toward-vegas/6032e7e8-8c35-4087-8e2a-2f3e0c8ee07b/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.aec2997ca7e0

"Weintraub likes to protect his stars, sometimes to the point of shelter."

Great, just what Karen didn't need...another person to "protect" her. "Stifle" is more like it...

I wasn't too crazy about this album overall besides 2 tracks (Leave Yesterday Behind and the fabled Rainbow Connection). I waited for years for Richard to hem and haw around about releasing Rainbow Connection and I was so glad when he finally did. I think it was a terrific recording even though Karen didn't seem to care for it at all. A few other things, like the '76 medley, are pretty cool to revisit every once in a while. It just seemed like Richard was scraping for things to fill out this album in the end, and judging by its poor sales performance, I can see why Richard is done with any more releases. I don't blame him for being upset at the response to this release but I also get why it kinda flopped. In the end, it just reinforced Richard's beliefs that outtakes should stay in the vault unless there is really something special there. Unfortunately, 2 special tracks don't necessitate an entire album of fluff to hold them up. I gave this one 2 stars.

I wasn't too crazy about this album overall besides 2 tracks (Leave Yesterday Behind and the fabled Rainbow Connection). I waited for years for Richard to hem and haw around about releasing Rainbow Connection and I was so glad when he finally did. I think it was a terrific recording even though Karen didn't seem to care for it at all. A few other things, like the '76 medley, are pretty cool to revisit every once in a while. It just seemed like Richard was scraping for things to fill out this album in the end, and judging by its poor sales performance, I can see why Richard is done with any more releases. I don't blame him for being upset at the response to this release but I also get why it kinda flopped. In the end, it just reinforced Richard's beliefs that outtakes should stay in the vault unless there is really something special there. Unfortunately, 2 special tracks don't necessitate an entire album of fluff to hold them up. I gave this one 2 stars.

It's odd because he has other things to put out. He just doesn't choose to do it...and that is absolutely his right.

Ed

It's odd because he has other things to put out. He just doesn't choose to do it...and that is absolutely his right.

Ed
I totally agree. I'm not part of the group who demands the right to hear every scrap of stuff in the vaults. I remember people putting together petitions for the rest of Karen's solo stuff, with demands for original mixes that are cleaned up with minimal creative input from Richard, demanding full liner notes, etc. And I remember telling a few people, "Richard doesn't owe you $%)!" Got kicked out of a few Facebook groups for it. Personally, I pray to hear certain things that are still locked away, but will totally respect Richard's reasoning if they never see the light of day.

I’d disagree. I don’t think it is a fluff album. And what really screwed up the album was the copyright issue causing the album’s delay here in North America for 3 years, at which point Universal really put no effort into it (I didn’t even know that if had been released in Canada till I saw it on Grant-Gurerro’s website—-I have never seen it in physical stores; Universal should’ve allowed a couple of tracks to have been used in movies and TV shows of the time, imagine “You’re Just In Love” being played in “Maid In Manhattan” (2002)). But I think the album had a number of gems, including the Carpenters second duet with Karen & Richard on “You’re Just In Love”, which should’ve been released as a single along with “The Rainbow Connection” and “California Dreaming”.

I'm happy we have Karen's amazing vocal on YJIL, but why the hell did Richard rercord the male voice? I understand their could be issues legally with using Davidson's voice, but he's singing a love song to his sister. (I'll avoid a cutting wisecrack about him falling in love with family members)

I'm happy we have Karen's amazing vocal on YJIL, but why the hell did Richard rercord the male voice? I understand their could be issues legally with using Davidson's voice, but he's singing a love song to his sister. (I'll avoid a cutting wisecrack about him falling in love with family members)

I think it’s a very sweet track and I never heard it as a duet between lovers. If you really study the lyrics, there’s no mention of “we” or “us”. He’s not singing to her, he’s singing the counterpoint vocal which echoes what she is feeling. It’s like listening to someone talking to their best friend about being in love. So for me it’s perfect because it’s the only true duet they ever did together.

I’d disagree. I don’t think it is a fluff album. And what really screwed up the album was the copyright issue causing the album’s delay here in North America for 3 years, at which point Universal really put no effort into it (I didn’t even know that if had been released in Canada till I saw it on Grant-Gurerro’s website—-I have never seen it in physical stores; Universal should’ve allowed a couple of tracks to have been used in movies and TV shows of the time, imagine “You’re Just In Love” being played in “Maid In Manhattan” (2002)). But I think the album had a number of gems, including the Carpenters second duet with Karen & Richard on “You’re Just In Love”, which should’ve been released as a single along with “The Rainbow Connection” and “California Dreaming”.
It was definitely not promoted as it should have been. And the fact that it was not well received overall didn't help Richard's overall outlook on things either. That's the sad part. Not because I want him to be in a good mood to stroke more releases out of him, but because I want his efforts to be appreciated and for him to be happy with what he has done with few regrets.

As I have said elsewhere and many times before, truly great artists are never appreciated in their lifetime. Give it time and they will eventually get their due and the legend status they so rightfully deserve.

I think it’s a very sweet track and I never heard it as a duet between lovers. If you really study the lyrics, there’s no mention of “we” or “us”. He’s not singing to her, he’s singing the counterpoint vocal which echoes what she is feeling. It’s like listening to someone talking to their best friend about being in love. So for me it’s perfect because it’s the only true duet they ever did together.
It was a nice duet and I never got the creepy vibe from it that some people have. The one that baffles me is the Como medley. Few of his vocals are left and Richard re-recorded the remainder himself, and uncomfortably at that, as it seemed the key was a little too high for his voice at that point. My first impression was that Richard didn't appreciate the couple little mistakes Perry made in the performance and the anal side of him had to cut them out and re-record them himself.

And as far as the John Davidson thing goes, why was it so difficult to get the licensing to utilize his parts? Is it his publisher or management being difficult or him? Has he over-valued his work, sitting there like Dr. Evil saying that to allow the use of his vocals, he wants a gajillion bajillion dollars? That part always puzzled me.

It just sounds too odd still. Harmonizing together at the end about being in love, their voices wrapping around each other. I get what you're saying and lyrically it may be less weird, but the way it's arranged with brother and sister voices each on their own and then weaved together almost encapsulates their personal and artistic ethos in a highly bizarre way.

The one that baffles me is the Como medley. Few of his vocals are left and Richard re-recorded the remainder himself, and uncomfortably at that, as it seemed the key was a little too high for his voice at that point. My first impression was that Richard didn't appreciate the couple little mistakes Perry made in the performance and the anal side of him had to cut them out and re-record them himself.

Richard only replaced one line. The rest of the medley was intended to be a duet - or trio performance - between him, Karen and Perry. Richard's explanation:

"In December of 1974 Karen and I were guests on Perry Como's annual Christmas special. As we were life-long fans of Perry, this was a treat for us. One of the spots was a medley, in which Perry sang some of our hits and we sang some of his. As originally arranged and performed, this track was six minutes and fifty-five seconds in duration. While the special was in post-production being edited, it was discovered that this was just too long. As a result, the first four songs hit the editing room floor and the piece was faded up on the segue into Close to You, with canned applause incorporated to make it seem smoother, hence my singing the first words of this tune in this mix."

Carpenters •• Carpenters-Como Medley

And as far as the John Davidson thing goes, why was it so difficult to get the licensing to utilize his parts? Is it his publisher or management being difficult or him? Has he over-valued his work, sitting there like Dr. Evil saying that to allow the use of his vocals, he wants a gajillion bajillion dollars? That part always puzzled me.

John Davidson, in his unfathomable wisdom, thought he was worth more than he is and demanded ridiculous royalties for the vocal to be included. I'm glad it wasn't because Richard's vocal is far superior.

Richard only replaced one line. The rest of the medley was intended to be a duet - or three-et - between him, Karen and Perry. Richard's explanation:

"In December of 1974 Karen and I were guests on Perry Como's annual Christmas special. As we were life-long fans of Perry, this was a treat for us. One of the spots was a medley, in which Perry sang some of our hits and we sang some of his. As originally arranged and performed, this track was six minutes and fifty-five seconds in duration. While the special was in post-production being edited, it was discovered that this was just too long. As a result, the first four songs hit the editing room floor and the piece was faded up on the segue into Close to You, with canned applause incorporated to make it seem smoother, hence my singing the first words of this tune in this mix."

Carpenters •• Carpenters-Como Medley

John Davidson, in his unfathomable wisdom, thought he was worth more than he is and demanded ridiculous royalties for the vocal to be included. I'm glad it wasn't because Richard's vocal is far superior.
Thanks for the references. I had totally forgotten about the one in the R&K site, which I haven't looked at in ages. As far as the Como medley goes, I was thinking more about the Yesterday Once More bit, where Perry sings "sing-a-ling-a-ling" instead of "shing-a-ling-a-ling." Maybe Richard noticed it and maybe he didn't, but it was one of the vocal parts he re-recorded. If I noticed it, I'd imagine that Richard did. And the John Davidson anecdote also sounds like I've read or heard it before, which is probably why I guessed it right.

John Davidson, in his unfathomable wisdom, thought he was worth more than he is and demanded ridiculous royalties for the vocal to be included. I'm glad it wasn't because Richard's vocal is far superior

Hey, John needs that cash since the THATS INCREDIBLE money dried up.

While I am certainly no raging John Davidson fan and the price gouging wasn’t classy, Richard in no way holds a candle to John vocally, IMHO. Richard’s talent for vocal arranging is colossal but his talent for singing lead is minimal on his best day for my ears.

Ed

Back
Top Bottom