[Album] CARPENTERS CLASSICS (Asia)

Harry

Charter A&M Corner Member
Staff member
Site Admin
That LP is CARPENTERS CLASSICS , SP 20049, issued in Singapore, Hong Kong, and Malaysia.

CarpClassHong1.jpg

CarpClassHong1 Rearcopy.jpg

Track list:

Calling Occupants (edited short version)
I Just Fall In Love Again
Solitaire (album version)
This Masquerade
There's A Kind Of Hush (album version)
Please Mr. Postman (album version)

I Believe You
All You Get From Love Is A Love Song
Desperado
Only Yesterday (album version)
Jambalaya
I Won't Last A Day Without You (album version, fast)

Last edited:
That LP is CARPENTERS CLASSICS , SP 20049, issued in Singapore, Hong Kong, and Malaysia.

R-6203447-1413643722-8750.jpeg.jpg

R-6203447-1413643727-5290.jpeg.jpg

Track list:

Solitaire
This Masquerade
There's A Kind Of Hush
Please Mr. Postman

I Believe You
Desperado
Only Yesterday
Jambalaya
I Won't Last A Day Without You
Finally we know where “Carpenters Classics Volume 1” was released! (I realize it wasn’t meant to be part of the A&M 25th set, but I still remember asking the record store where Vol. 1 was and the had no listing for a Vol. 1, and in the late-90’s A&M’s 25th set was largely forgotten.)

Finally we know where “Carpenters Classics Volume 1” was released! (I realize it wasn’t meant to be part of the A&M 25th set, but I still remember asking the record store where Vol. 1 was and the had no listing for a Vol. 1, and in the late-90’s A&M’s 25th set was largely forgotten.)

I can't tell if you're attempting humor here or are serious. Surely you know that CLASSICS VOLUME 1 belonged to Herb Alpert & The Tijuana Brass and Carpenters got VOLUME TWO. It was a straight re-press of the YESTERDAY ONCE MORE comp.

There was another LP issued in Brazil called CARPENTERS CLASSICS. Totally different bunch of songs.

Even upto about 5 years ago I had no idea that the Classics line from the 80’s was even suppose to include other A&M artists. Even at Legend Records in Ottawa and other record shops I remember asking a few times since they had Vol. 2 in a few times, and they never even thought of other artists, they always thought that there had been a “Carpenters Classics Volume 1” but for whatever reason it had been discontinued by A&M and only Vol. 2 remained in print. And the 25th badge, everyone just assumed it was just A&M’s logo for its 25th Anniversary and not part of the title.

I remember when they announced that series when I was at the NARM convention in Miami. I was really excited for new material, only to learn it was a repackage if the YOM set. Huge disappointment when it was released and I saw the song selection. Just a better cover. They could have at least added some different cuts to it. I could see a person not working or visiting a record store really often would think there was a volume 1, but what would be on it???

I remember when they announced that series when I was at the NARM convention in Miami. I was really excited for new material, only to learn it was a repackage if the YOM set. Huge disappointment when it was released and I saw the song selection. Just a better cover. They could have at least added some different cuts to it. I could see a person not working or visiting a record store really often would think there was a volume 1, but what would be on it???
Well I just saw an old posting from 2017 on this forum about the series. Seems to be the only place online for the entire series list and I noticed that Herb Alpert ha Vol 1 & Vol 20. And the Carpenters & Quincy Jones were the only Double-CD releases; albeit I guess A&M could’ve split the albums up and had “Carpenters Classics Vol 2 & 29”.

CarpClassHong1.jpg

CarpClassHong1 Rearcopy.jpg

Track list:

Solitaire (album version)
This Masquerade
There's A Kind Of Hush (album version)
Please Mr. Postman (album version)

I Believe You
Desperado
Only Yesterday (album version)
Jambalaya
I Won't Last A Day Without You (album version, fast)
Isn’t that kinda unusual that Calling Occupants is the edited version on an LP?

It's possibly the only appearance of that short track on an album (until the Public TV thing). This album looked like it was a slightly different configuration of a second "SINGLES" album, though some tracks were not singles. The oldest tracks on there are the one from A SONG FOR YOU and another from NOW & THEN.

It's possibly the only appearance of that short track on an album (until the Public TV thing). This album looked like it was a slightly different configuration of a second "SINGLES" album, though some tracks were not singles. The oldest tracks on there are the one from A SONG FOR YOU and another from NOW & THEN.
The edited version of Calling Occupants also appeared on the 1983 Australian LP “The Very Best Of The Carpenters”. I’ve got the LP specifically for that edited version.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Very_Best_of_the_Carpenters

Getting back to the subject of the original post (Carpenters Classics), I received this album back in 1983. It had a poster (folded) in it (same as picture shown on the back cover of this "version" of the album) and the single version of Calling Occupants. I leant the poster to the artist friend of mine that meticulously drew the picture that is my avatar. He used that "Karen" as inspiration.

Going through my vinyl this afternoon and found another album shelved away. It’s called “Just Hits”
Carpenters. Made in Argentina 1982
It has Calling Occupants edited version as the last cut. The fade is so fast she barely has time to sing We Are Your Friends before it’s over. It’s on Columbia A&M Records.

‘Very Best of The Carpenters’ has the single version of ‘Calling Occupants of Interplanetary Craft’ on it. It was released in 1982 and reached Number 1 in Australia in early 1983. This album had 18 tracks on it, 17 of them singles. The only track that wasn’t a single was ‘This Masquerade’. ‘Calling Occupants’ was Carpenters’ second-biggest stayer on the charts in Australia ever, (29 weeks), and their eighth-highest peaking hit.
I wonder whether Karen knew they had an album at the top of the charts somewhere in the world just before she died. Btw, I have a cassette of ‘Carpenters’ Classics’ from Asia - same track listing as above. The cover only has the photo of K&R shown in Harry’s picture, above. There is no brown wood-like design. It has a yellow ‘Carpenters’ logo.

Somebody or some distributors imported lots of copies of that Australian album when it came out. It has a very attractive cover and the song selection is excellent. We sold it where I worked for a couple of years. I put it in the Carpenters section instead of the imports area. I had forgotten that it contained the edit of Occupants until Harry wrote about that fact a couple of weeks ago. Things you learn or memories refreshed here! Thx

It has Calling Occupants edited version as the last cut. The fade is so fast she barely has time to sing We Are Your Friends before it’s over. It’s on Columbia A&M Records.
That’s how the original single fades out - straight after ‘We are your friends’, more or less.

Back
Top Bottom