⭐ Official Review [Album]: "CLOSE TO YOU" (SP-4271)

HOW WOULD YOU RATE THIS ALBUM?

• ***** (BEST)

Votes: 42 47.2%

Votes: 38 42.7%

Votes: 7 7.9%

Votes: 2 2.2%

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Nice Review of Close To You (why do they always mess up the title Crescent Noon?) lol
Hi-Fi News & Record Review
Feb 1971
iLDiblF.png

Imagine my amusement to hear Carpenters Close To You (starting at 8:53) in this
2019 UK interview with Martin Clunes and Caroline Catz regards Doc Martin:

It's hard to believe that 53 years have gone by since this album hit the shelves. I did buy the Close To You and We've Only Just Begun singles. My favorite from the album is Crescent Noon. Mr. Guder did get some airplay here as well.

I don't remember seeing Karen play this shallow Irish drum, even during her several televised exhibitions, but I have no doubt that she did somewhere - or easily could have if she had wanted to...

I don't remember seeing Karen play this shallow Irish drum, even during her several televised exhibitions, but I have no doubt that she did somewhere - or easily could have if she had wanted to...

Possibly not. It's a rare instrument in its own right.

Been spending some time relistening to this album, and I’ve gotten stuck on “Help!” Those background vocals, tambourine, trumpet and Hammond organ, especially from 1:30 on are just spectacular, true ear candy. @Chris May how many parts are in these background vocals?

Been spending some time relistening to this album, and I’ve gotten stuck on “Help!” Those background vocals, tambourine, trumpet and Hammond organ, especially from 1:30 on are just spectacular, true ear candy. @Chris May how many parts are in these background vocals?
I believe it’s six in total in certain places but I’ll need to listen again.

I've always loved "Help" since I first heard it on the CLOSE TO YOU album back in 1970. To me it sounds like many more stacked vocals, but I've been fooled before. Their recording of "Help" almost sounds like it could have been placed on the OFFERING album - it's got that early, raw sound that I love.

I think I've posted a comment about this review before but I read it again tonight from the Musical Legacy book and it still makes me laugh out loud. Read the last line...

IMG_5336.jpeg

And another related funny that some of you might have seen, which also cracks me up to this day. Look closely :laugh:

bcaec4b9-9e12-4e13-952e-f7d94b68876f.jpeg

Last edited:
My parents subscribed to High Fidelity, so I read this review back when it was first published and kept it in my clippings collection (lost during one of many moves). I was happy to see it again in this book. I agree with everything except for her dismissal of Karen's drumming. I guess it depends on what you consider "a high enough quality." I remember thinking then, and still do: "Isn't it enough to simply be a good drummer and love doing it?"

Even though I understand Richard's criticism of the cover, back then I was a kid and didn't know any better. I loved it and spent way too many hours gazing at it.

I think I've posted a comment about this review before but I read it again tonight from the Musical Legacy book and it still makes me laugh out loud. Read the last line...

IMG_5336.jpeg

And another related funny that some of you might have seen, which also cracks me up to this day. Look closely :laugh:

bcaec4b9-9e12-4e13-952e-f7d94b68876f.jpeg
It's pretty hysterical, not unlike the DJ's comment about the Offering cover. These people at A&M were something when it came to the marketing and promotions. Read the three-page letter that was written on A&M letterhead that we included in the book. We left the name of its author out of the book, but it was a staffer who'd been there a while. Just unbelievable ...

It's pretty hysterical, not unlike the DJ's comment about the Offering cover. These people at A&M were something when it came to the marketing and promotions. Read the three-page letter that was written on A&M letterhead that we included in the book. We left the name of its author out of the book, but it was a staffer who'd been there a while. Just unbelievable ...
Yeah, it's pretty cringeworthy. Do you think it was written that way to sabotage them?

I've always loved "Help" since I first heard it on the CLOSE TO YOU album back in 1970. To me it sounds like many more stacked vocals, but I've been fooled before. Their recording of "Help" almost sounds like it could have been placed on the OFFERING album - it's got that early, raw sound that I love.
I was lucky enough to see Carpenters at the "Garden State Arts Center" * in Holmdel NJ, in the early 70s.
I distinctly remember opening their set with "Help"

* presently renamed after some corporate entity.

They're pretty lucky that the "Close to You" single was so damn catchy, because that album cover probably didn't sell many records on its own. Even the typeface on it looks cheesy. I'd say that is my least favorite of all their covers... I don't like A Song For You either, but it least it has a cool insert and the embossed paper and the "flap" closure is classy.

They're pretty lucky that the "Close to You" single was so damn catchy, because that album cover probably didn't sell many records on its own. Even the typeface on it looks cheesy. I'd say that is my least favorite of all their covers... I don't like A Song For You either, but it least it has a cool insert and the embossed paper and the "flap" closure is classy.
I would agree with this!

Count me in the minority, but I don't think the cover of CTY is as bad as I used to think it was.

Back
Top Bottom