⭐ Official Review [Album]: "CLOSE TO YOU" (SP-4271)

HOW WOULD YOU RATE THIS ALBUM?

• ***** (BEST)

Votes: 42 47.2%

Votes: 38 42.7%

Votes: 7 7.9%

Votes: 2 2.2%

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I mean it's not like there's anything wrong with the track, I just don't think it should be the first song that pops into people's heads when they think of the Carpenters. It doesn't do them justice- besides the lyrics, it's not a particularly impressive example of Karen's amazing voice.

Yep, although she certainly shines within the recording itself, specially when she was doubled up. To me the most refreshing element of this record is the sparkling, delicate arrangement, which never fails to induce me to a trance-like state of beauty. Everything works right on time, up until the (unusual) line sung with Karen's head voice right before the song ending, "just like me"... it sounds so perfectly blended into the idea of the arrangement that I mostly forget it's there and that they hardly ever done this again!

Haha it's ironic that I'm whining about the lyrics of CTY when those of I'll Never Fall In Love Again are far worse. Downright painful for me, instant skip.

"You get enough germs to catch pneumonia"!!! And they did find a rhyme to it!! It's impressive!

A lot of breaking down the title-song, & now challenging more of Bacharach/David songs going on here! :winkgrin:

-- Dave

Reactions: BGW
BGW - I enjoyed reading your post and the likely explanation given as to why a large number of people may never have warmed to their sound.

Interesting that you've never met anyone in person who actively likes the Carpenters! When talking to other musicians, I often use the Carpenters in my discussion to illustrate a particular musical concept. When I'm with non-musicians who nonetheless are familiar with their big hits, I'll usually just roll off some Carpenters-related fact to help round-out their knowledge of the duo. When I'm with younger people, I'm always ready to receive a blank stare :laugh:.

Dave, the irony is that the Bacharach/David medley on the tan album is one of my all time favorite tracks. Probably because Richard cherry picked the best bits to include and strung them together masterfully.

Tapdancer, I think it's a damn shame. The Carpenters deserve far more recognition (and plays) than they get. Even the "greatest hits of the '70s"- type albums leave them out. I mean they far outsold the other songs. Ridiculous. Likewise, I'm always quick to point out to people that the Carpenters were the first to do such-and-such and that they were more successful than so-and-so.

Reactions: PJW
I don't think the Carpenters are 'left off' compilations. I'm pretty certain the reason you don't see them on the Time-Life yearly sets is because Richard NEVER allowed their stuff to be included on anything that was sold on TV (not counting the Silver Eagle Records/A&M 'Yesterday Once More' TV set from 1984). He did finally allow Time-Life to include a track or two on one of their more recent Christmas compilations, as well as the Christmas 'Now' set. But, they never show up on the main ones advertised today. I'm sure the producers of these compilations would jump at the chance to include 'Superstar' or 'Close to You', etc.

Recently purchased the SHM-CD of this album (on sale, thankfully) and I must say,
for whatever reason, this is the Best sounding CD I have ever heard. It sounds clearer than the remastered classics, even.
It is worth searching for, if you can find it at a reasonable price.(mine was $35,which is still pricey)
It's a replica of all the Japanese artwork, plus an additional replica of the US LP.

Thanks Gary...where does this come from, not sure I have ever heard this early version this is different from the Navy Presents version. Listen to Karen almost whisper "what can I do" at 43-43 seconds.

This is cool! Just when ya thought that was it and POW!!! I dig the raw early vocal. The sound I fell in love with. Whooops, catch me I'ma fallin' again.

Jeff

Regrettably, I have no information regarding where that early performance of Baby It's You, originates.
I found it on an old cd-r that I have, and assumed it was from the Your Navy Presents program.
I have more tracks on the cd, so I'll go through each one and see what else is there.
These songs were probably ripped from the old Napster site in 1995.
I, only a few days ago, listened to that performance (since 1995) and thought it was indicative of the
reasons that Carpenters are so brilliant. Love the Saxophone and Karen's vocal delivery. She is probably drumming,too.

Here we go again. This is fascinating. I identify this early sound with my 1st CarpenterS concert October 8th of '72 opening with HELP. This younger Karen's voice had an edgier grid with a little more belt to it. Later with further maturity she would sing "prettier" if you will. Karen was a groovy hipster in her own right at the dawn of the 70's. So unusual, the dress, music, all original. As with Another Song taken from this CTY record there was potentially a rockin' frolic albeit soft rock. These "new" revelations Gary is providing is really a golden goodie blast from the past.

Thank you Gary,

Jeff

Here we go again. This is fascinating. I identify this early sound with my 1st CarpenterS concert October 8th of '72 opening with HELP. This younger Karen's voice had an edgier grid with a little more belt to it. Later with further maturity she would sing "prettier" if you will. Karen was a groovy hipster in her own right at the dawn of the 70's. So unusual, the dress, music, all original. As with Another Song taken from this CTY record there was potentially a rockin' frolic albeit soft rock. These "new" revelations Gary is providing is really a golden goodie blast from the past.

Thank you Gary,

Jeff
"Karen was a groovy hipster" ? Never heard that in one sentence before. :laugh: Honestly, when I see video from Make Your Own Kind of Music I wonder what the wardrobe people were thinking! There were much more flattering styles popular at the time.

I also saw my first Carpenters concert in 1972. It was the first concert of any kind I ever went to and I wish I remembered more about it. I remember the one in 1974 much better, when they performed the oldies medley. But at both concerts that gorgeous voice came across as so memorable.

I recall that the maxi-dress was kinda "in" there for awhile. As of late I've noticed several hair styles complete with wiglets and extensions that mimic the Karen hair circa 72's Song For You photo shoots. Sorta outtta place for the early part of the decade yes, but what a place to be huh?

Jeff

Wow. I love it. I love the mix on ATGB, but this is so pure and beautiful. Thank you GaryAlan for posting this!

Wouldn't it be great to have more songs with just Richard on piano and Karen singing lead, no doubling, no effects. Just pure and magical Carpenters.

Back
Top Bottom