⭐ Official Review [Album]: "HORIZON" (SP-4530)

HOW WOULD YOU RATE THIS ALBUM?

• ***** (BEST)

Votes: 51 49.0%

Votes: 36 34.6%

Votes: 13 12.5%

Votes: 2 1.9%

Votes: 2 1.9%

• Total voters
The tune to Trying to get the feeling again is so well crafted that it creates its message without any understanding of its words. It could be la la la with Karens’s vocalization and phrasing and feel complete. I like the words in the chorus more than any others, but I enjoy this song and usually share it with others for it showcases Karen’s voice and Richard’s orchestration and arrangement and delivers a song with poignant contrasts to Barry Manilow’s version that is familiar to others. It shows how the artistry and artists interpret and perform. It is one of my favorites!

Re-reading the Musical Legacy book: there is a comment by Richard "it's all so slow."
He certainly seems displeased with this album, seemingly at variance with the letter from Jerry Moss extolling the virtues of the Horizon album.
I will today re-visit the A& M Compendium interview from late March 1975, but, if my memory serves correctly,
at that time, it seems to me, Richard was content with the song choices.

Re-reading the Musical Legacy book: there is a comment by Richard "it's all so slow."
He certainly seems displeased with this album, seemingly at variance with the letter from Jerry Moss extolling the virtues of the Horizon album.
I will today re-visit the A& M Compendium interview from late March 1975, but, if my memory serves correctly,
at that time, it seems to me, Richard was content with the song choices.
I think he thought more of them at the time, but I got the impression that he was so worn out after finishing it that he was already thinking he wasn’t doing his best because of the strain. The lethargy and depression from both at the time really comes through here. I think Jerry felt it was safe to compliment this album because it does feel like a matured sound, something not made by the corny-imaged people he was otherwise embarrassed of. Now & Then, for example, was very juvenile in many ways and he probably shuddered at the thought of saying good things about an album like that openly.

I think Barry Manilow’s reworked words are very clunky and even more clumsy.

I dunno. "Could you help me rediscover / the way to re-be his lover?" Not an award-winning line, IMHO. I also don't like the cadence of the melody. It works that way if it's sung as David wrote it ("the way to re-be her lover") but when you change the gender, it's awkward and she has to rush to get it out. Barry really gave the tune a lift that Richard didn't. His starts one way and stays there. Barry threw in the kitchen sink (typical of his approach.) Barry's hit. I doubt Carpenters' would have in the state we have it. 'Course, had Richard finished then, it's hard to know if it would have exactly as it does. It also lacks the extra Karen background vocals it like would have gotten were it completed during her lifetime.

That said, I do like some of the others and I love the way she sings "searchin' for a long lost FRIEND." Just a gorgeous choice.

Ed

Trying To Get The Feelin' Again....
is one of my favorite post-1983 Carpenters' releases....
Fantastic arrangement and incredible vocals.

I listened to this album a couple times in the last few days and it is a fine album indeed. I like Desperado a lot. Love the lyrics and Karen's reading is wonderful. I love "I Can Dream, Can't I?". Doesn't sound too slow to me, I love the way Karen sing "I'm aware...my heart is a sad affair." And even "Solitaire" sounds wonderful. And of course the hits "Please Mr. Postman" and "Only Yesterday".

Could you help me rediscover / the way to re-be his lover?" Not an award-winning line, IMHO.
It’s a line for me that, with another recording and singer, I would say is rather awkwardly strung together. Re-be isn’t a real “proper” phrase but there’s a simmering urgency to the arrangement and vocal that makes it feel real and lived-in. Karen as the protagonist is desperate and there’s a rush of feelings and “re-be” is something that an everyday person could say even as they know it’s not a real phrase, just like slang. Karen’s colorful, emotionally varied performance really puts it over because she sounds so invested in the narrative (why are some of her best post-1974 performances work leads, some far greater vocals than songs on the albums?). Different phrasing and tempo could make these words feel stiff, but for me sound organic in the hands of Karen’s mastery.

Ha! I've always wanted to discuss the words Re-Be in that recording. For fun, I would replace with the words, "Just" or "Now".

I think it’s perfect ‘as is’ and it honestly doesn’t need the choral over-dubbed vocals. Not every song calls for that approach. I think the stripped back sound works to its advantage and updates their sound quite a bit. It’s far and away one of Richard’s best productions. And, of course, Karen’s vocals are incredible.

Does anyone on the forum have a high resolution scan of this single cover, I’m looking specifically for a copy of the black circular image containing the drawing of Richard and Karen. It’s for a project which requires this image to be laser-etched onto glass, hence the need for a high res version.

Any help at all would be appreciated!

1677-A-Only-Yesterday.jpg
See if this will do. If you need a larger size, let me know.

I remembered today that I never actually got back to this post and explained why I wanted the above image. In the end, I was advised by the manufacturer not to use it as the place I’d intended for it would have obscured the unit mechanism behind the glass, but I thought I’d share a couple of images of the end result anyway.

These are custom built, and based on the original Wurlitzer bubbler “dome top” design. (In 1973, Wurlitzer sold its jukebox brand to a German company and closed the North Tonawanda factory. The former Wurlitzer complex today hosts a business park, contractors' supply store, storage, offices, restaurants and a Platter's Chocolate factory). I believe there are only two companies left in the world who manufacture these from new, one is in Leeds, England (who built mine) and the other is in Los Angeles, CA.

Mine is filled with 70 original vinyl 45 singles that I spent months tracking down in various second hand record stores, mostly late 50s and early 60s Doo Wop and Pop hits. But there are two notable exceptions that I had to have, and which are in keeping with the era and jukebox sound:

How High The Moon/The World Is Waiting For The Sunrise - Les Paul and Mary Ford (1951)
Beechwood 4-5789 - Carpenters (1982)

241EEA3B-37BE-43BC-9DE0-B33976ABF2E1.jpeg52AA3450-A49A-484A-B2AA-CE74277E7F40.jpeg

Last edited:
I remembered today that I never actually got back to this post and explained why I wanted the above image. In the end, I was advised by the manufacturer not to use it as the place I’d intended for it would have obscured the unit mechanism behind the glass, but I thought I’d share a couple of images of the end result anyway.

These are custom built, and based on the original Wurlitzer bubbler “dome top” design. (In 1973, Wurlitzer sold its jukebox brand to a German company and closed the North Tonawanda factory. The former Wurlitzer complex today hosts a business park, contractors' supply store, storage, offices, restaurants and a Platter's Chocolate factory). I believe there are only two companies left in the world who manufacture these from new, one is in Leeds, England (who built mine) and the other is in Los Angeles, CA.

Mine is filled with 70 original vinyl 45 singles that I spent months tracking down in various second hand record stores, mostly late 50s and early 60s Doo Wop and Pop hits. But there are two notable exceptions that I had to have, and which are in keeping with the era and jukebox sound:

How High The Moon/The World Is Waiting For The Sunrise - Les Paul and Mary Ford (1951)

241EEA3B-37BE-43BC-9DE0-B33976ABF2E1.jpeg52AA3450-A49A-484A-B2AA-CE74277E7F40.jpeg
BEAUTIFUL!

Something I've always wanted - and never had either the money, technical expertise in restoring, or the room for one.

Looks amazing, Newvillefan. That image of Karen and Richard would have looked incredible on the unit. I must admit, the workings look spectacular, though, so I can understand why you didn’t put it on. Choosing the singles to include must have been fun, but challenging. Great project! Happy listening!

48 years ago today, Horizon was released. This album contains one of the most, IMO, underrated songs they released, Happy. I find myself listening to this album more during the summer months for whatever reason and it’s really the Carpenters at their best. Happy 48 years to Horizon.

48 years ago today, Horizon was released. This album contains one of the most, IMO, underrated songs they released, Happy. I find myself listening to this album more during the summer months for whatever reason and it’s really the Carpenters at their best. Happy 48 years to Horizon.
Yep....Happy should have been released instead of Solitaire, I reckon it would've cracked the top ten.

Yep....Happy should have been released instead of Solitaire, I reckon it would've cracked the top ten.

Even though Solitaire wasn't extremely successful as a single, I don't like the thought of it not being released as one because I love it so much. You're right though. I think Happy would have done much better on the charts. It's a favorite of so many, including me, and everyone I've introduced it to loves it.

I think Happy would have done much better on the charts. It's a favorite of so many, including me, and everyone I've introduced it to loves it.

I think we all know that releasing ‘Solitaire’ as a single was a big mistake but I’ve never understood the appeal of ‘Happy’ as a potential single. Yes it’s a more uptempo song, but not by much. And that repetitive “falling in love/falling in love with you/falling in love/falling in love with you”, punctuated by the over-enthusiastic tom-tom drumming of Jim Gordon really starts to grate after a while.

It might have scraped top 30 back in 1975 but I very much doubt top 10. Look at the perfect pop appeal of ‘All You Get From Love Is A Love Song’, yet it only reached #35 in the US.

repetitive “falling in love/falling in love with you/falling in love/falling in love with you”, punctuated by the over-enthusiastic tom-tom drumming of Jim Gordon really starts to grate after a while.
I would say the contrary on my part. I like that part of the song because i really like drums and percussion in general. Also i really do like the song too.

I think we all know that releasing ‘Solitaire’ as a single was a big mistake but I’ve never understood the appeal of ‘Happy’ as a potential single. Yes it’s a more uptempo song, but not by much. And that repetitive “falling in love/falling in love with you/falling in love/falling in love with you”, punctuated by the over-enthusiastic tom-tom drumming of Jim Gordon really starts to grate after a while.

It might have scraped top 30 back in 1975 but I very much doubt top 10. Look at the perfect pop appeal of ‘All You Get From Love Is A Love Song’, yet it only reached #35 in the US.
True, Stephen...and you know I adore AYGFLIALS...but the fall in their popularity in the 18 months between summer '75 and spring '77 was astounding.

If "love song" had come out in place of "solitaire" it would have gone top 5, I reckon. A year earlier, probably another one of their No 2s.

It must be tough to create a product that's arguably as good, if not better, than something you put out just 2 or 3 years before and for one to skyrocket, and the other to just fizzle out.

I would say the contrary on my part. I like that part of the song because i really like drums and percussion in general. Also i really do like the song too.
I'm with you on Happy. I enjoy the trippy instrumentation, synthesizer etc. It represents another development in their music which might have been developed further in other songs while retaining the core harmonic vocal sound. It is more interesting to me than Solitaire although I really appreciate the later.

Does anyone recall which interview it was where Richard states he was mad with the way Horizon turned out?

Wow! :goodie:

Back
Top Bottom